Software
Houzz Logo Print
scjtina

Need help for creating a warm , inviting entryway!

12 years ago
We would like to have a warm , inviting entryway. It is not big and bright. Any advice can give me? Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • 12 years ago
    But, the right side is the cloest
  • 12 years ago
    I think your walls need some color, nothing bright, maybe just the wall on right with mirror, table might be too tight, maybe a tall flower arrangement in that corner for a "wow" factor, and maybe a short wall shelf below the mirror - you have "limited space" so make the best of it. Picture on other wall would look nice, choose tastefully.
  • 12 years ago
    Long mirror with a medium width frame on the door to the right of the stairs. Replace the table with a round one, add a lamp, a colorful rug that will make you smile. Try wallpapering the closet door and or course art on both walls. The bigger the better, no one wants to dust a lot and little frames.
  • 12 years ago
    First, I would replace the closet doors with an Ikea hack: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/04/pax-closet-doors-no-bottom-rail.html

    Across from the closet, I'd put some stunning, very large art.

    The area to the right of the stair is a bit of a black hole, and I don't have a good solution for it. Yet. Maybe one will come. I think you're on the right track making it utilitarian with a place to drop keys and mail.

    I just took a closer look. Is there a door to the right of the stair? If so, where does it go?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks all for your advice!
  • 12 years ago
    It goes for our garage
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some colorful art would brighten your space also. I think a mirror would be great too. Visit my Houzz page to see some bright art options. I have prints on stretched canvas as well as originals. Feel free to message or email me with any questions!
    Scjtina thanked Lindsay Cowles LLC
  • 12 years ago
    .
    Scjtina thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Big ,bold and bright prints with warm lights should work.you can use wallpaper,which can be used on the door as well.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Decorate your risers to complement the colors in your entryway. It will lead the eye up and make the area seem more spacious. The NW Homes one is wallpaper - easy to change if you want to go back to wood.
    Urban Homestead · More Info

    Derby Hill Farm Lyme NH · More Info

    Smith Ridge I · More Info

    NW HOMES · More Info

    Traditional Estate Home · More Info
    Scjtina thanked partim
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would add some wall art to liven up the wall. And I would add a long rug so that way there is a pop of color!
  • 12 years ago
    A larger, warmer toned picture would bring a visual wow over a table and could be the perfect accent for a powerful rug in front of the door---but how about an alternative? I think a small bench or tall backed chair covered in a luxurious fabric instead of the typical table brings more welcoming warmth and a space to sit and remove shoes or boots. Think vintage sculptural retro rustic--something you really enjoy.

    Put an umbrella stand next to it, filled with coordinated umbrellas--walking sticks or something interesting. Tuck a basket under/beside/on the bench for more texture and to organize odds and ends that you keep by the door? Instead of a piece of art---hooks with a collection of hats or a couple of pieces of textural art--medallions/carved pieces--a set of mirrors with textural carved/shaped frames.

    Put a big wow picture at the top of the stairs to draw your visitors up the steps. Ideally a powerful geometric or Persian rug at the entrance and a runner going up the steps would give you that visual line up to the top of the stairs.

    Another idea would be a gallery art installation (gallery frame kits available in groups or mix vintage and modern prints and paintings) or a set of family/meaningful photos framed in identical frames---I like black and whites or sepia versions of photos--easily done on computer.

    There are lots of nice things that could fit the space but true warmth will come when the design (collection) reveals more about you, your interests, your loves and provides a cozy place to land for your visitors/friends/family.
  • 12 years ago
    hzjpmp, like you ideas and thoughts. I really appreciated!