Software
Houzz Logo Print
louise_sutton8408516

What do other people put in small, high cupboard over stove/fridge?

12 years ago
We are in the process of having our new kitchen installed, and I'm planning what goes where. What do others keep in the high, deep cupboards over the fridge, etc?

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    The stuff that only comes out for the holidays. Y'know, the turkey platter, the ice cream maker, the dog shampoo...
    Louise Sutton thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    The things you'll forget you have.
    Louise Sutton thanked inpdx
  • 12 years ago
    lightbulbs, emergency kit - candles, matches, flashight for when power goes out
    Louise Sutton thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have a little footstool spot in the kitchen and use it to access the top cupboards.Stuff that goes in there: baking trays (don't bake that often); indian idli dishes, woven bread baskets, and extra mug storage for when the coffee days go into overdrive.Now that I know where Mark BIschak keeps his chocolate I will remember to bring my footstool!
    Louise Sutton thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    I'm on the short side, so I think the footstool is a great suggestion. I am going to put these very practical ideas to good use. I'm at the "dazed and confused" stage of the renovation!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Louise, Congrats on your kitchen remodel. The clean and sleek design looks very nice ! :)
  • 12 years ago
    turkey/christmas platters, fondue pot.
  • 12 years ago
    Right now I have the kids (they're 29 and 35) baby china and silver cups. Just waiting to have grandchildren so I can pass these on.
  • 12 years ago
    Paper towels, servettes and a security system.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If not to store chocolates as Mark does it (good idea by the way... Thanks! kids will never think to look there LOL), than all the appliance manuals and the junk which is rarely being used.
  • 12 years ago
    Mine is a tall space, so it is filled with candlesticks and vases. Also 2 sets of hand-painted dishes. Every other month or so when I'm getting a vase, I see the lovely dishes and inevitably say to myself "so THAT'S where these are-aren't they pretty!" and then promptly forget I have them there.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Used to be cookies and chips (so my kids couldn't access them). Now none of us eat the stuff! Then it was the booze so the teenagers couldn't find it!
  • 12 years ago
    Mine has mostly paper goods that I rarely use like holiday patterns etc.
  • 12 years ago
    Fondue pot (only used in winter), all the accessories for my food processor that rarely get used, waffle iron which only gets brought out a few times a year, some extra pitchers that only get pulled out when I have a picnic, an extra set of cookie cooling racks that only comes out when I'm doing massive cookie baking for Christmas... I think you get the idea. Basically those things you actually use, but only a few times a year. I keep the stuff I use frequently in the easy to access parts of the kitchen.
  • 12 years ago
    The junk food you don't want to have within easy reach (of yourself)!
  • 12 years ago
    My laptop, so my kids won't nick it!!
  • 12 years ago
    When I declutter the kids room/stuff I put their things up there and hang onto them for about three months. If they haven't asked for them in that time then off they go to the op shop.
  • 12 years ago
    Booze goes over the fridge....almost always
  • 12 years ago
    I just renovated my kitchen. I had the guys put a hidden drawer at the bottom of my pantry cupboard for a foldaway stool, which works well. I wanted to have pull out solid stools along the bottom of each cupboard but they said they could not do it. I keep things I don't use too often in the cupboard over my fridge.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have a high up cabinet over my refrigerator which I can't reach....I am pretty sure there is nothing in the cabinet at all....but then again I havn't looked inside for the 15 years I've lived there. Whenever I move, I may discover something akin to a time capsule contents.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The cupboards over the range hood are too high for us to reach without a footstool, but our teenage son is 4" taller than us, so that shelf is filled with his endless boxes of pasta. When he goes to college we'll have to rethink that arrangement.
  • 10 years ago

    Like others. Items that are not needed very often.

  • 10 years ago

    Mine tends to change, Wintertime the grill stuff, summertime the bread maker. Year around some vases that I love but are too dainty with cats. (my hope is some day Olivar will be too old to get on the counter)

  • 10 years ago
    I keep the alcoholic beverage ingredients up there. There's Tequila, Rum(s), Vodka, Bourbon, Whiskey & blends. Basically, everything(not needing refrigeration)you'd need to build a cocktail. The tall bottles fit perfectly.
  • 10 years ago

    Specialty baking pans, spring.form bundt pans, etc.. Cake, decorating items, etc.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I keep plastic containers above stove microwave and nothing :-(( above RF

  • 10 years ago

    My grandmother's tea-cup collection and mother's crystal serving dishes - neither are my taste but can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Holiday specific items I only need to climb up to reach a few times each year.

    The extra plastic containers I rarely use but want to keep for when I do.

    The few jars I've kept from when I was farming and canning and now only occasionally use.

    That tall vase of uncommon design that was a gift I only bring out when the long stemmed Iris and Glads bloom.

    How often do you use that top oven?