Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you remember: Encyclopedias?

12 years ago
When I was growing up, we had a shelf full of encyclopedias that we used for all of our research and reports in school. It was a huge set, taking up a full large shelf in our family room. Now that we have the internet, of course, people don't usually have these. Did you?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Bonnie's Books: Monday Memories ~ my encyclopedia story · More Info

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    Yes! I looked on amazon for some not too long ago to stage my office, and there is not much of a selection. It's like they're obsolete!
    Emily Hurley thanked Sophia A.
  • 12 years ago
    I have the ones pictured above and don't want them - I'm in sw florida
    Emily Hurley thanked bgfuqua
  • 12 years ago
    YES! And card catalogs!

    Like one of my professors used to say, "Back in my day when you said you were 'in the stacks', you were 'IN THE STACKS'. Haha.

    I remember when the library first got a Macintosh computer. I would beg my mom to drop me off so I could wait my turn to play Oregon Trail! :)
    Emily Hurley thanked jillqberry
  • 12 years ago
    I have a really old set with a custom book case made just for them - I'll give them away if anyone wants. Dated 1955. I'm in SW Florida.
    Emily Hurley thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I sure do, we had several but I remember having to pack and unpacked them several times every time we moved house-renting at the time! I love books, they were well used at the time but no longer needed them and having world access at the tip tap of the keyboard to online resources seems to be making them no longer required.
    Emily Hurley thanked Momof5x
  • 12 years ago
    I love that there are two people with sets to give away in this thread and they are both in SW Florida. :) Generous folks down there.
  • 12 years ago
    As a kid I loved our old red and blue World Book set with great color plates. I was thrilled to find an identical set in my class room and I still use it for my kids to use for visual references of animals, clothes from history and such. Faster than booting up the iMac and they find trivia along their searches. Their favorite is "Bloody Mary " When they start that silly business about seeing her in a mirror, I have them look up Mary Tudor to see the real one.
    Emily Hurley thanked kathleen MK
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I sure do. My parents had no answers. We were constantly referred to the encyclopedia set. Coincidently I won a regional spelling bee in 3rd grade by being able to spell encyclopedia
  • 12 years ago
    My parents had a 1963 edition of Collier's encyclopedia. On some pages i see some of my crayon drawing squiggly lines. As an adult i read them, not every page, just the pages that pretty much contained science and in particular solid state physics (which i absolutely w/out a doubt luv x 3.141292 :))))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I do, growing up we had a collection of encyclopedias. I spent so many summer nights trying to read every bit and part out of all of them. Needless to say, I spent so much of my childhood reading!
  • 12 years ago
    We had the set pictured above when I was growing up. My stepfather prided himself on being the smartest guy in the room, and was constantly looking stuff up in them. If we wanted to know something, all we had to do was ask him and he'd look it up to show-off.