Software
Houzz Logo Print
skylinewater

World's Worst Contractor

12 years ago
Without going into all of the nightmare details of using a "highly recommended" contractor whose electrical work wasn't up to code, who used non-professional painters to paint without sanding beforehand, who painted the insides of my windows and then closed them so they now cannot open, and who failed to seal my bathroom marble floors among many other problems...I noticed last week that my bathroom door wouldn't close. I called the contractor and he told me doors swell in high humidity. So, we can't close the bathroom door? Huh? I asked him what to do and he told me to call the building super.
What? I don't think that's a permanent answer! After leaving my home for a few days with the a/c on, the door now closes. But what's the answer? Rehanging the door? Shaving it? Buying a new door?
I have since hired an electrician, painter, window installer, and marble refinisher to fix the contractor's mistakes. It's MY fault I told him to replace my bathroom door to match the others in my home without checking the quality of what he installed. It looked like the others, so I didn't notice anything wrong.
Please don't suggest making him take care of the problem or bringing a lawsuit. He's a friend of the family and I thought I did my due diligence, but apparently not well enough. It's not worth a war.
Any advice? Enclosed is a photo of what I thought was a standard apartment bathroom door. It is now closed properly.
As long as I'm complaining, here's another worry I have. When he installed my bathroom vanity, it appears he cut a very large hole in the back of the vanity. The wall behind it is open. I only noticed when the room became dusty so quickly. If there are mice or bugs in the building wall, can't they get through to my house this way? Attaching photo of that, too.
Sometimes I just want to move and start all over...but I love my home!

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would repair the sheet rock behind the vanity
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Like others said, patch the wall.
    As the door goes, you can try to remove 1 screw from each door hinge and drive a longer crew into the framing, that should pull the jamb in slightly giving you a bigger reveal and the door should close fine. If that don't work, remove casing and adjust door frame leaving bigger reveal.

    Good luck
  • 12 years ago
    Remove the door and have it shaved on the bottom. This recently happened to me and the floor installer stated that he would not come back to my home to fix such a small problem!!! and he ignores all my calls ( after he cashed his check) . I then had some closet doors installed and the handy man fixed the issue for me. Horrible as it sounds it happens and its terrible. I have learned a lot about the work ethic in this trade there are few that really are responsible and care about a job well done.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The humidity sounds to be the culprit. That being said, shaving the door and rehanging it is probably the easiest solution. You're able to fix the problem with the AC ON. That tells me the relative humidity is too high during the summer/humid/expansion time of the year. Still doesn't make it easy to live with, I know.

    Allow the door to swell and see where it is that it has issues. Shave those areas very carefully (I'm guessing this is NOT a solid core door) and rehang. You may have to run the AC (on low) to help the situation.
  • 12 years ago
    Mrsbaglady, I have to say, that is the exact OPPOSITE of what I have encountered with contractors. I've done two gut jobs in two different homes and had nothing but the best things to say about each contractor. Reliable, honest, and continued coming back for YEARS after the job was over. My last contractor told me to call if I ever had any heavy lifting to do. (This was after my husband passed away.)
    Their work wasn't always perfect, but for the most part they fixed what didn't work. Their prices were fair and I trusted them both to hold my house key for years!
    This man was recommended by someone who wanted to do his wife's friend's husband a favor. It sure wasn't a favor to me!!! I've spent thousands redoing what he did wrong. My latest: spending a few thousand to sand, clean, polish and seal the marble bathroom floors that either weren't sealed or sealed with something very inadequate. Expensive, messy, and unnecessary when done correctly the first time!
  • 12 years ago
    Floors installed less tan a year ago in a home only one woman in her 60's lives in part time:
  • 12 years ago
    That's great skylinewater super glad to hear that you have had great expierence!!
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry to hear that this time it was not has smooth!! I have had really bad expierences
  • 12 years ago
    I also have found myself paying double to fix mess
  • 12 years ago
    Contractors that haven't "finished" the job shouldn't be paid until everything is right.
  • 12 years ago
    Some things go wrong months later!
  • 12 years ago
    First thing in any renovation work is safety! You must have a building code, and I would be very surprised if you are allowed to leave an open area of wall of any size in a Multi Family Dwelling? Pull vanity repair wall with proper rated gypbson board and "fire tape" as a minimum. The door is not properly installed period; if you have a humility issue you set the door accordingly so there is 0 chance of binding, in this case you have a cored door, you are also at an intersecting wall; looking at the casing you have to know someone didn't know what they were doing,! We see the door is touching in 3 places, meaning the door is under tension and the top corner is protruding into the washroom away from the door stop, could be a 3 hinge set door and they are not in a straight line, this will reshape the door keeping it tensioned, or the left side and right side door jambs (door box) do not line up. Either way you see the door is bowed.
    Here,s the thing, if there were a fire in the building the smoke could run up the wall and out through the wall penetration, because it is there, and the fire department assumes it isn't! Could be a big deal; if there was a fire, does anyone want to be stuck in a washroom with a door that won't open and with hot gaseoues smoke bellowing in; very careless.. I would call the fellow and fire him, wait 5 minutes then call him back and fire him again! That is not a tradesman!
    I be ticked, likely you can assume as much;)
    Steve
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz