Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letsgo4321

Front yard landscaping help

letsgo4321
9 years ago
This is my first time designing a garden and I would love some guidance. The tree shown in the picture is a white crape myrtle and it is staying. All the red bark and other plants will be removed. Should I plant white roses under and the around the tree? I also don't know what to plant by the walkway...nothing with thorns:)

We love in so cal, zone 10

Thank you!!

Comments (31)

• fissfiss
    9 years ago
    We spent 4 years in SoCal and I still miss my garden there. Are you going for tropical with palms, or more of an English cottage look with roses and such?
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not tropical. More English garden or even Mediterranean but not super drought tolerant looking. We like white roses, rosemary, lavender, hydrangeas, gardenias and so on.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maybe two small trees in front of the posts that flank the front floor?
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    It depends on where you are in the world. What kind of plants do well in your area? (look at the neighbouring gardens to get an idea). How much sun do the different areas get. Which zone are you in?
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Hydrangeas might be unsuitable...gardenias and camellias need deep shade. White groundcover roses, David Austen shrub roses, rosemary, both upright and prostrate, lavender, santolina, agapanthus. Italian cypress is a SoCal cliche for screening, but I loved it. Yaupon holly, ilex vomitoria 'Sky Pencil' will do the same job and look more like English holly. Tea trees, have to go away and look up botanical names! Do you have irrigation in the beds?
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love all the plants u suggested!! I just don't know how to put it all together.

Yes, we have a sprinkler systems throughout the front and backyard
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Tea tree is leptospermum. Do you need screening or are you wanting to keep the view open? Box euonymous makes an excellent ending plant.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    So the roses belong to your neighbor?
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No screening for this area. I do need screening in the backyard tho... I will post a picture.

The roses do belong to my neighbor.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Area that needs privacy screen.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Privacy screen needed to cover house behind us(the yellow house) and privacy screen needed on both side of pool.

The planters in front of yellow house r between 3-5' deep. I would prefer not to have the whole planter be the privacy screen...is that possible?

The 2 areas by the pool don't have planter space only a 6" area between wall and concert but the footing fills most of that space. The plants would need to be in pots.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @carolins we r in Southern California, zone 10. The front gets a lot of sun except for the area behind the white crape mytle.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Yaupon holly, ilex vomitoria 'Sky Pencil', would make a wonderful screening plant, and stays narrow, giving you a lovely dark green backdrop for other plantings. Love the mature things you already have!
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Fruit trees would be great but what about the root system? It would be right against the house.
  • Yasmín
    9 years ago
    I think iceberg roses (white ground cover-y) should be easy to find for you. We're in zone 10, Orange County.

We have a similar problem in the backyard...and struggling grass, haha! Not trying to hijack your post; just want to keep track of all the great advice! Good luck!
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do the ilex sky pencil get taller than 6-8'?
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @yazflech we are in the OC:)
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    The web says they top out at 10', and they would be easy to keep shorter.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    I miss many things about The OC, but not the traffic. I don't think citrus roots are particularly invasive, and you would be using "dwarf" rootstock, so I think it's all fine. Good things to ask about at the nursery. I used to buy my nice plants in Laguna Hills, I think.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    At the Laguna Hills Nursery in Lake Forest...sadly, not there any more!
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What is the difference between the sky pencil and the yaupon? When I google it they come up as the same thing.
  • Yasmín
    9 years ago
    FYI, I called Armstrong and the gal thinks a 5 gallon plant is ~$50. She said they grow slowly so purchasing a larger plant is the way to go. I also called Home Depot and I may have been better off asking my 2 year old about the plant. Haha
    I did find this web site that says it's a fast growing tree... http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/SkyPencil.htm

I kind of thought your pictures looked like OC!
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will stop by the hd in brea they have 2 or 3 really knowledgable garden employees. I will keep ya posted!
  • Yasmín
    9 years ago
    I spoke with HD in Yorba Linda/Savi Ranch ;)
    Sounds good!
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    There are many varieties of Yaupon Holly, and 'Sky Pencil' is one of them. Yaupon holly is the common name, ilex vomitoria is the botanical name for yaupons.
    Yeah, at the Depot you would not expect someone on the phone to know much, but the department manager should...maybe.
    I find that smaller plants transplant and "take" better than their larger siblings, and are certainly easier on the gardener's back! And fit better in the car...but instant gratification is always nice!
    Our local nursery gives 10% off if you spend $500, so ask about their discount policy.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really like the sky pencil look but I'm wondering if i should get something that grows more than 10'. Thoughts? The two story house is right behind us and their patio starts at about 10'. Is there anything else that is narrow in width and has the same dark green foliage? Thank you soooo much!
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    The classic Italian cypress is another option. It does get bigger than the Sky Pencil and will require more maintenance.
  • letsgo4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @fissfiss I bought David Austen shrub roses, rosemary, lavender and santolina today. Yay! Now to figure out placement. I'm actually going to start in the backyard but use the same flowers. I prob need to get a few more variety of plants for the back. There is a lot of planter space.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Easy way to start, tall stuff in the back, shorter in front. Groups of 3 or 5. And use a tape measure, it's way too easy to plant things too close together!
  • PRO
    Connie Cunningham Designs & B&B
    8 years ago

what is the first photo with the two different beds together about? Is that your neighbor's property and yours? If so, I would work with them and make that bed one, instead of one with a dividing line down the middle. So you each gain from the other. At least use the same mulch.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio