Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Your September Checklist

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
How are you preparing for the colder months?

Vote and tell us what's on your September checklist! To enter the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz slippers (just in time for the cold weather!) POST A COMMENT with the Top 3 things on your list this month.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 9/29/13. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comments (127)

• mandysh
    10 years ago
    1. Decorate House for Fall
    2. Put out yard decorations - pumpkins, scarecrow, bale of hay, wreath on the door
    3. Start using my Pumpkin Spice candles.
  • Megan
    10 years ago
    swapping out clothing and accessories as well as organizing spaces that were neglected all summer
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Bedding, in my opinion, is first and foremost when preparing for colder months :)
  • jodyb
    10 years ago
    Helping my sister fix up her "fixer upper"...paint, organize, store, etc. Switch out clothing, and dream about a dyi project that is waiting with baited breath for me to start!
  • dlcappella
    10 years ago
    1. swap out clothes
    2. Find covers for outdoor tables and chairs
    3. Fix basement, Put in laundry room. bathroom and relocate Wi-Fi equipment and printer
    4. Put compost in the vegetable beds
  • tr762
    10 years ago
    Also been living out of suitcases. Spent summer selling our home and then renovating a lake house. An experience that has been fun and frustrating. Time to thoroughly go thru and decide what we really do and don't need!
  • Irene
    10 years ago
    1) reorganize my bedroom and closet.
    2) clean up my workplace.
    And
    3) possibly add more lighting in my room.

Also I have a few crafts that I would like to work on if I have some extra time.
  • margbrown43
    10 years ago
    Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Then putting out the fall decor!
  • farmer2
    10 years ago
    Organize basement for painting projects (barn quilts) and exercise equipment.
  • loisgp
    10 years ago
    Building a new kitchen and master bedroom can not wait till we start
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    Painting and weatherizing my California room so I will still have a feeling of outdoors even if it is dark or less than perfect weather. Cleaning out closets and organizing them putting fall/winter things where I can find them more easily.
  • PRO
    L/L Design - Build - Furnish
    10 years ago
    We just moved last weekend...so re-organizing what I want to bring in new house....and what to keep out.
  • snyzie
    10 years ago
    Whitewashing with pickling stain on knotty pine boards in basement to create a fresh light area. Hope it works!!!!
  • janetho1
    10 years ago
    I like to embrace the warm colors of fall and bring them into my home. Glass pumkins and squash are nestled in fall leaves on the mantel and eleswhere in my home. A fall runner on the dining table with a dark wood hurricane lamp with a glowing candle inside. This creates such a cozy atmosphere with the lights dimmed and candles lit during the longer evenings of fall.
  • gpcookie123
    10 years ago
    Cleaning up each area of the house
    Relaxing and focusing on my hobbies
    Watching houzz.com for ideas while doing both the above
  • PRO
    Ethical Flooring
    10 years ago
    1. Swapping clothes
    2. Getting out duvet
    3. Washing all throw blankets
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Our last resting place: a condo apartment on Cape Cod, needs the furnace filter changed, the decor changed from "spring/ summer" to "fall/winter (curtains, pillow covers, bedding, accessories) and clothing switched. Most of the seasonal "stuff" is stored in the guest room closet in labeled large plastic tubs...oh for a bigger closet!
  • Bradi Jones
    10 years ago
    Redesigning my basement craft room! And cutting the clutter everywhere! I'm excited to feel less crammed in this winter!
  • PRO
    Crimson Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    So much! Need to re-paint entire 1st floor, inspect furnace & change filter, redecorating dining room (new window treatments, pictures on walls), new bedroom furniture/decor.
  • elaficionado
    10 years ago
    design our new bath and kitchen so we can start our overdue RENO!! *yay* I hav already weeded areas of the garden, and am looking forward to planting. LOVE THE AUSSIE ORTUM WEATHER (sept we r expecting a heat wave 2morro)........................;(
  • 1giddygeezer
    10 years ago
    Installing a wood stove, refinishing hardwood floors and dry walling over an unused door opening!
  • Marie Walker
    10 years ago
    We always swap out clothes because our house is so old that all the closets are very small. So we have all our bins out in our storage unit full of clothes that need to be switched out every season!! Can't wait for a remodel!
  • deb5120
    10 years ago
    Cleaning out closets-to be donated to Goodwill
    Washing windows
    Clearing out clutter in the house
    Getting ready for the Holidays
  • busy belt
    10 years ago
    Wedding next May. Entering into my phone calendar all the projects to get done next April that I can't do this fall. Otherwise getting a jump on the garden, pruning, having a garage sale to empty the junk out the house.
  • Toni M
    10 years ago
    We are moving at the end of november, so I need to purge what we don't need, pack, and start planning what I need to do in the new house we are currently building. Exciting times!
  • sarj81
    10 years ago
    Swap out summer clothes and decorate for fall!
  • Cecilia H
    10 years ago
    I plan on redoing the bathroom floors for a long over do update with marble floors and new lighting, also do some major purging in my closet then I can buy some new fall clothes!!
  • jroll2lo
    10 years ago
    I went with "Having the chimney and furnace inspected" since it's my first fall in my house and we want to use the wood burning fireplace.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Some things can't wait. I did not plan to have a man IN the floor of my bathroom! Ahhh, the joys of renovation!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Hey, bsellers1394, you've got a man in your floor? How can I get one?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle, the pain happened so fast I don't know what hit me! "Uh oh, hey, your tub was going to fall through this rotten wood!"
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @gladagain, did you say you want to redo your bathroom floors? Want a 'lil tip on how to make it really fun? My guys are pretty good sports! They might be available next week...they even sniff pipes for signs of water!
  • Ann Taylor
    10 years ago
    Hubby is cutting and storing firewood for the fireplace.. Cleaning the flower beds..
  • PRO
    Keller Williams Heritage
    10 years ago
    My wife is focused on two primary things - finding a fall wreath for the front door and new bedding for the master bedroom. Number three is replacing carpet with wood in the main living areas.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would like a man in the floor of my bathroom, (or anywhere else for that matter) !

Changing the bedding in master to fall colors. Decorating my porch for Halloween.
    Decorating around the house for fall.
  • verduccip
    10 years ago
    1. Trim trees
    2. Inspect fireplace
    3. Swap out spring/summer pillows and decorations with the fall/winter ones

and...Start baking cookies!
  • jcgg1996
    10 years ago
    Remodeling a bathroom after a major water leak that went undetected for a long time.
  • Denise Meyer
    10 years ago
    I have been planning on moving my furniture around for the 100th time and have spent my extra time daydreaming on Houzz instead. I did clean out my closet and put an extra blanket on the bed though.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    1. swapping summer clothes for winter clothes.
    2. clean chimney
    3. clean gutter for leaves
  • shelleybowley
    10 years ago
    Planting the daffodils and tulips, wishing spring was round the corner
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to Christine Talbot for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, don't worry, you still have some time left to get your comments into our Fall Decor poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-favorite-fall-decor-dsvw-vd~663078
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Congrats Christine!!! Enjoy!
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    After starting to paint one area I have added so many other things to my list. Now I am painting practically the entire exterior of house because once you start...Also I am hanging new icicle lights in my California room after painting it white for that ever so comfortable vineyard feel. The furniture and other belongings have been thinned out for a more spacious feel. The days are getting shorter and there are so many things to do who has time for slippers anyways. I want my spaces clean and free of clutter...
  • ran7104
    9 years ago
    Having kitchen remodeled. Must be put back together and organized

Clean out closets

Get ready for holidays
  • pgeis
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @ran7104 -- while my kitchen was turn apart, I did two things to help with future pest control.
    1. I took essential oils (peppermint, clove, and balsam) into every open wall cavity I could.
    2. I took a bristle paint brush and dusted diatomaceous earth into every pipe and wire opening, stuffed openings with steel wool (copper would be better), dusted DE under cabinets where cabinets would go, under appliances, and before I put in the self liner, into the seams on the inside of cabinets -- you get the picture. Non toxic pest control -- before the pests arrive!
    Good luck surviving the remodel! Just keep that image of your dream kitchen always before you!
  • PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    9 years ago
    I like to switch out decorative pillows with the seasons!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 years ago
    Poll from Last Year 2013. Same thing here in 2014. Oddly, it us the hottest month of the year. Stay inside with AC. Plan for October calendar when things can get done bc it starts a little cool down. The landscaping all around looks a bit tired every year this time.
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 years ago
    Counting down the days we don't need to run the A/C at night! My electric company may not be looking forward to it but my bank account sure is! Looking forward to the cozy SoCal evenings in the fall :)
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    I can think of many on this list. Chimney, gutters, check calking around windows, remove window AC units, have my boiler/burner inspected.

It's never an "either-or" at my place! **sigh**