Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wagnersofmn

Small scale sectional with wedge

Peter W
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am looking for a fabric L shaped sectional with 2 specific restrictions:

1. It must have a wedge corner unit. (with seating for 6 total)

2. It must be at or under 129" x 102".

RAF Loveseat + wedge + LAF couch.
Looking to spend under $5000 for the 3 pieces.
Best construction within my price range.
The 102" restriction (with a wedge) seems to be the deal breaker most of the time.

I have searched many brands.

Three possibilities I have found are:

1. King Hickory (aka Hickory Manor)... Bentley or Chatham

2. Basset... Design studio (small scale)

3. Flexsteel... Thorton (and others)

I have read that Flexsteel's quality (except the suspension) is no longer as good as it once was.

The Basset seems to flex a great deal more...When you pick up one leg the other leg does not come off the ground until you lift it 3 inches as compared to 1 inch for a King Hickory couch. Also when trying to wiggle the Basset's arms, many of them are loose on floor models. They use 8 layered engineered wood (plywood) that they claim is stronger than hardwood construction. In addition they use fabric webbing without any steel in the seat back. They have a drop-in coil which they claim is stronger than 8 way hand tied.

The King Hickory/Hickory Manor has less flex in the frame and generally feels more solid. They use kiln dried hardwood frames double doweled, glued and braced with corner blocks. King Hickory uses 8 way hand tied double cone coil springs in the base and also use back springs. High resiliency foam, fiber and polyester cover are inside cushions.

We would be choosing a durable but relatively inexpensive fabric on any sectional.
We prefer a panel or sock arm, box welt loose cushions, tapered leg and not very deep seats.

The Flexsteel is around $3,600-$4,300 depending on model

The Basset is around $3400

King Hickory $4,200-$4,600 depending on the sale.

We also looked at a Smith Brothers of Berne sectional that was in our size limits and great quality for around $5,200, but the cushions were very narrow (measured at 21") and was just too small.

We are leaning towards the King Hickory.
Any comments or alternative suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Nancy Rhoades
    8 years ago

I'm pretty sure Harden has one...Have you looked at them? I don't know anything about KH, but Harden is higher end than Flexsteel.

• Peter W
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We went with the King Hickory ...Bentley.

On the advice of others on this forum we requested a quote from Lexington Furniture in Lexington KY. They were $3,400 with no tax, delivered! WOW! My wife was worried about ordering from an out of state store even though they have an A+ rating with the BBB. If anyone goes this route, the delivery may take longer, but it can save you hundreds or possibly thousands.

We used the quote from Lexington to negotiate over a thousand off the sale price our local store was offering. The King Hickory is a very solid well made sectional constructed in Hickory NC USA. It was fully customizable.

• Peter W
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just an update, 2 years later...

We could not be more pleased with the sectional.

Attention to detail and quality construction.

You can find it under slightly different manufacturer names at different stores. Just look at the brochures and compare dimensions etc. and you will find King Hickory/Hickory Manor etc. are the same product from the same manufacturer under different names.

Pick out the furniture you want, find it at other stores under different names, compare the prices with Lexington Furniture in Lexington KY (no tax). Then bargain with your local store using the Lexington quote. Saved us $1,000.

• Peter W
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Clint Eastwood...

Here is an example of Hickory Manor...

http://www.hickorymanor.com/products/productList.php?category_id=2&location=minnesota

Just realize that it is King Hickory with a different brand name. The specs are the exact same, and the brochures in the stores are exactly the same except they change the manufacturer name to Hickory Manor and also change the style names. Same product, same manufacturer, just re-branded so you can't compare different retailers as easily. Your region may have stores with King Hickory re-branded with another name as well.

If you are looking at the KH Winston and feel it is too big (as we did), look at the KH Bentley. The footprint is smaller and we felt it was more comfortable because the depth was not as deep. Construction is the same, just a smaller footprint.

Here are some links...

King Hickory: Bentley... http://www.kinghickory.com/img/uploads/PopImage/42/image.pdf

Winston... http://www.kinghickory.com/img/uploads/PopImage/55/image.pdf

See this thread as well...

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-experience-with-smith-brothers-of-berne-in-dsvw-vd~2381070[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-experience-with-smith-brothers-of-berne-in-dsvw-vd~2381070)

Our local retailer was reluctant to drop the price as low as Lexington furniture. We negotiated for over an hour. They kept coming back with "we have a better warranty" or we use better delivery people etc. In the end they matched the $3,400 price when were going to walk out, but we had to pay tax. We felt the extra 6% was worth it to be able to deal with a local company. Still, far better than the $5,100 retail, or $4,400 sale price they offered.

By the way you can order the KH Katherine with a one arm chase, so both you and your wife would be happy, see the below link...

http://www.kinghickory.com/img/uploads/PopImage/50/image.pdf

• Clint Eastwood
    6 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post all the information. After months of searching and haggling I was ready to order. I double checked my measurements. Somehow my den shrank 8 inches. We went from 168’ to 160’. That threw a wrench in things. We finally decided on the Century Cornerstone LAF chaise wedge, armless loveseat and RAF Chaise. It’s a tight squeeze at 160’ but it will make it. The 2 Wesley Hall Hartwell chairs are just dreamy. I’ll post a pick to you when we finally take delivery. Once again, it was very kind of you to post. I love the King Hickory furniture. It is solid.

• Peter W
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am glad it worked out for you as well.

"After months of searching and haggling I was ready to order."

Sounds like me!

• kaiticampbell
    5 years ago
    How did you find local retailers? I’ve been trying to search, but I’m having trouble. We are really interested in the King Hickory.
  • washgal
    3 years ago

Is King Hickory still a good brand for sectionals? It's 2020. The website says the frames are made of plywood, not kiln dried wood. Is this ok?