Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xariklia

Front door paint

harriet
9 years ago
In between the side lights. Would you paint those white strips blue? Not the trim around the door, that will stay white. I feel like the white brakes up the door and it would look more grand if it was all blue. Thoughts?

Comments (20)

• soccerates
    9 years ago
    My first thought: holy smokes that is super cool! Second thought: if you paint the white strips blue your door will disappear. Final thought: love it the way it is.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would if possible :)
  • Laura Kennerley
    9 years ago
    I would leave the white - or maybe go dark like your roof/soffits
  • User
    9 years ago
    Either way, it's a good look. Love your colors.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Looking at it again I think what if the sidelights where white? Can someone do this adjustment on here? please !
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    9 years ago
    I personally think the side lights should be treated the same as the trim and painted white, which allows the door to be the pop of color. your home looks beautiful...would love to see more of it!!
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    Okay, I know this is overkill, but I got curious about this question and found lots of examples of all three possibilities, so you can at least see what different effects they produce:
    San Carlos Craftsman 2nd Story Addition · More Info

Fergon Architects, LLC · More Info

Outdoor Oasis in NW Washington · More Info

Modern Bungalow · More Info

New entry way · More Info

Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info

Cliffs Valley, Perlman Residence · More Info

exteriors · More Info

Phinney ridge residence porch · More Info
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    After looking at feeny's examples, I think I like the less chopped up look the best. That would be achieved by painting the two vertical trim pieces the same color as the door. Obviously, it's just a matter of what appeals to you, but I generally feel that simpler is better.
  • lnicol8
    9 years ago
    I think the white does suit the look of your house with all the other white trim lines and angles... If you painted it out it would make the door look larger and more substantial (grander) which would also be a good look.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Perfect flopsycat1 that's the idea that I had in mind :)
    it will make the door appear wider this way.
  • harriet
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    All very helpful comments, thanks so much! I think I'm going to make it all blue with the white trim around the outside only. I just love the blue and the vertical white strips keep interfering when I look at it. I know, I'm weird. Will take a pic when it's painted.
  • harriet
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Looks bigger
  • User
    9 years ago
    Those vertical strips now painted blues make a big difference. Photo appreciated. Looks excellent.
  • plfs
    9 years ago
    I like it better all blue. You see the blue color instead of the white stripes around the door. In any case it's a winner. I love to see a punch of color on the main door.
  • PRO
    CertaPro Painters of Santa Monica
    9 years ago
    You did a great job with the overall color choices. The advice I give to clients is that if you want to have something stand out then accent it otherwise blend it in. So for your entry I would say if you want the door itself to be the focal point with its detail then that would be blue with the side lights and frames white, next choice would be the middle frames white with side lights blue, then all blue. The all blue accents the total entry area but I lose the door a little when all blue. The best thing is that you have 3 great options and all look good, it just depends on what you want to stand out the most. Here is a recent home we did and only the door is accented.
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    Very nice.
  • littledesigner
    9 years ago
    I personally would leave it white. It makes the door pop and creates definition. Beautiful home:)
  • anitadavis
    9 years ago
    It is lovely!! two white planters with lavender would be stunning!
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    either way it is going to be beautiful