Software
Houzz Logo Print
sciif

Need help for wall color selection for Living room + Dinning room area

12 years ago
Recently we had custom curtains made for the Living room + formal Dinning room area. After putting the curtains up, we realized the walls looked boring and needed a pop of color. Also, we realized the pillows on the off white sofa screamed for color. Need help with selection of wall color, pillows, accessories, etc. Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    You have a very chic sophisticated room! It's a little hard to tell from your photos, but I'd try either matching your drapes to the walls, or a light gray.

    It also looks like you have some lovely art that should be lowered. (The one on the right) but I can't tell if the lamp could be repositioned.
    Claisabel I thanked laurakdesigns
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Firstly try with pillows to echo existing accent colours in the 2 spaces. Black and gold pillows
    Black 18 x 18 Pillow with Gold Print Detail · More Info

    Black and Gold 18 x 18-Inch Pillow with Hidden Zipper · More Info

    Naoko Stripes Pillow Gold Black 18"x18" · More Info

    Mykonos Pillow · More Info
    Claisabel I thanked Chem K
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The teal glass jar stands out because it is so different. Why not continue that colour around:
    Rustic Chic Living Space · More Info
    even better bring down the pastel colours in your painting and reflect them in cushions on your sofa with a black border for each?
    Claisabel I thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    Big Thank You to laurakdesigns, chemayne and ASVinteriors for taking the time. Question: should I do the walls and cushions in same color or wall in teal and cushions in the accent color that chemayne suggested? Again thank you for helping with this design dilema.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your room looks lovely already. But if you want to change the wall color, it's best to have a professional come in and help because color changes with light throughout the day. Decorating Den is a national company so you can find a decorator near you and we offer free initial consultations in your home.
    Claisabel I thanked Angela Scollar Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Decorating Den and MarleneM
  • 12 years ago
    Now I really have a dilema, go teal or neutral on walls? Don't know wnat to do ...
  • 12 years ago
    Here are better pics with natural daylight.
  • 12 years ago
    Another picture
  • 12 years ago
    Personally, I would do what others above have suggested. Keep the walls neutral but a better match with the drapes. A little deeper might be nice with a hint of gray. Test several shades on large portions of the wall so you can check different times of the day. OR you could hire someone to get it right the first time but I would not paint them teal. This is a very lovely, sophisticated room as is...just needs tweaking a bit. Love the teal as accents...and I love the black/gold pillows above. Your art has beautiful colors and you can change pillows/accents when you get tired of them or seasonally. I love your room.
    Claisabel I thanked mkhodges
  • 12 years ago
    Go with a slightly darker shade of the color of drapes.
    Claisabel I thanked orchardsgal
  • 12 years ago
    Ok Houzz peeps, I had these cushion covers, so I thought I would give them a try, but still have dilema for the wall color ...
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are 2 tones on the sectional, the neutral and the bronze-like pillows.
    With these I would add these ideas to add dimension and spice it up.
    Fall Leaves Throw Pillow · More Info

    Kuba Pillow Cover, Bronze · More Info
    Claisabel I thanked Chem K
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi - No postings for a while. Sounds as though you have followed some of this fabulous advice? Your cushions look good. Did you decide on a color for your walls?
    Claisabel I thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • 11 years ago
    Are you still thinking about what to do? In looking at all your photos I can see what you mean about wanting some more contrast between the drapes and the wall color; they do look quite dull against the warmer wall. I would suggest something other than going with teal. One of the large visual elements in your house is the tile floor which appears a warm, golden color. I think you should paint the walls a white that is the same color as your sectional or just a little grayer and then pull in the color of your floor and your art in the pillows on the couch. This may be a little bit different than what you are used to, but will make your furniture tie in with what you love--your art and your family photos.

    One of my favorite design blogs is www.lovecominghome.com. They do a fantastic job bringing out the best of what you already have, just by moving things around a little and purchasing a few select things to pull it all together. If you look through the photos in the blogs you'll see what I mean about pulling it all together--the calm, neutral furnishings and the colorful paintings and photos.

    Could you move the two pieces above the couch closer together, and move the grouping so that it is centered over the sectional? You could remove the two little wooden shelves and use them elsewhere. Your art is so dynamic; it doesn't need anything else in that space. Love to hear back from you.
    Claisabel I thanked Julie Rasmussen
  • 10 years ago
    UPDATE ON MY DILEMA:

    Changed floors from an ugly beige to a super white, changed taupe color on the wall to a contemporary gray, changed color of accent pillows on the sofa to cheerful colors, changed area rugs, replaced light fixture in dining area, rearranged the art pieces, painted the ceiling to a bright, flat white (it was yellow/off white color), painted all wood work to bright, satin white and removed the heavy curtains and replaced with more contemporary sliding shade panels.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Quite a nice change. I would suggest you lower the starburst so the bottom of it is 5" above the buffet. I don't get the little black shelf thing unless it is some kind of light bar to illuminate the painting above it. Otherwise, it adds a bit of something that just doesn't fit in to the sophistication you're attempting to achieve. The rug it still a bit skimpy I'd want it sized to be pulled so that it slips under the front 1/3 of the sofa. Right now it is not really grounding the sofa as it should. Great job otherwise!

    Claisabel I thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 10 years ago

    decoenthusiate big thanks for your suggestions. Will lower starburst, remove shelf and start hunting for a more adequate area rug.

  • 10 years ago

    Wow, what a great transformation! It looks fresh with the grey and white. I hate to find flaw with all your hard work, but I think the cushions might be too much, too many, plus they distract from your beautiful art. Maybe others will feel differently.

    Claisabel I thanked MarleneM
  • 10 years ago

    It doesn't cost anything to remove excess pillows, thanks for the input @MarleneM,

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida