Software
Houzz Logo Print
ksthomps

Need help with master bedroom comforter and colors.

12 years ago
I really do not like this comforter. My walls are a golden color and my back accent wall is more of a chocolate colore. The bedroom furniture is dark brown with leather headboard. My bathroom is done in blue/brown/gold. I need suggestions for a comforter to brighten up this room. Maybe one with blue in it and I need curtain suggestions.

Comments (50)

  • 12 years ago
    Hi, I hate to offer a suggestion that has nothing to do with what you asked, but here goes. The first thing that I noticed were the pictures behind the bed. I think you should move them as the bed covers them up anyway. I also think that the dark wall doesn't show off your beautiful bed at all. Would you consider repainting that wall a different color. I personally like full length drapes rather than valences, but that is just me. You could buy some full length drapes for your window (wouldn't need to be expensive ones either) and I think that would update your space. Pottery barn has some comforters with blue in them that might look nice. Check out their website. Good luck!!!!!
    Tina thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • 12 years ago
    I never thought about painting the wall blue. I guess that would work better. How would the blue wall look with the goldish walls?
  • 12 years ago
    And i agree with full drapes. I just have a problem picking patterns and colors. LOL
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree, remove valances and hang full length drapes. Also agree with going with a lighter colour to showcase you bed, and getting rid of the frames behind the bed. You furniture looks very dark and heavy for the size of the room so the idea now is to keep the rest as light and airy as possible. When shopping full length curtain panels, look for a light fabric, maybe a natural linen. Also, it would be a good idea to choose a wall colour and bedding that would relate with something else in the room. It looks like you have a bench at the end of the bed, is that staying? You need to take those colours into consideration if it is. I wouldn't be able to choose an appropriate colour because I can't see the rug or any of the other furniture in the room, but if you'd like to take more pictures, I would be happy to help.
    Tina thanked Hibou Design & Co.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would not keep the gold walls at all and as for drapes i would find a faux silk drape in blue and match the paint to that to keep the room looking larger these would work with the bedding I suggested. If that bench does not go with these colors find a nice throw and put it on the bench
    Tina thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 12 years ago
    No, the bench isnt staying. It was also from another set I had. I will take more pictures when I get back home. You are right the furniture is very dark. I guess I like dark warm colors. I really do not feel like painting the walls though. I think that will be our last resort.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't know what shade of blue is in your bath. Could you post a bathroom picture?

    Here is one example of blue and beige bedding with neutral walls. It needs full length window panels in a neutral color that coordinates.

    Painting will lighten your room a lot, but PLEASE choose your bedding FIRST and build off of that.
    Tina thanked orchardsgal
  • 12 years ago
    Here is an example of neutral bedding with gold and blue accents. You could change the look later by sim
  • 12 years ago
    This was the comforter we really loved. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-921381/Home-Classics-Adele-20-pc-Bed-Set-King.jsp
    But when we put it on the bed with the dark wood, it didnt look right to me at all.
  • 12 years ago
    Well, I'm really not posting well today! I apologize!

    Here's the room with neutral bedding.

    http://houzz.com/photos/442231

    Your biggest impact will come from painting the walls! Also, I'd paint them all the same color. Do you have any of the gold left so that you could just paint the brown wall if you don't want to tackle the whole room? This could work with the picture I posted.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Try taking down the valances and see if you're ok with just blinds for a lighter updated feeling. What about an English plantation style for your room, as your furniture really suits that look. White quilted coverlet with a very light blue throw at the bottom of the bed, and lots and lots of damask pillows in white, blue and golden/beige. Noticed you didn't want to paint, but it only takes a day and will make the most impact. A very light, blue..almost white. But before you paint, purchase your items, so you use the right color hue. Remove the pictures from behind headboard. Perhaps some botanical prints on the wall near window or a large silver mirror to reflect light and brighten room. Larger and square lamp shades that have a golden woven texture/color. If you have enough room for bench seat, I would keep...handy too but you should reupholster to coordinate with bedding and you could probably do this yourself.
    Tina thanked Maureen
  • 12 years ago
    I agree so much with repainting the room a pale blue. I know painting is a pain, but you will not believe what a difference it will make! Good luck.
    Tina thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • 12 years ago
    We may have some of the gold paint left if we need to do a quick color fix. The brown wall is just too dark for the bed we just got. I wish i would have thought of that before we got the furniture delivered.

    I have attached a better picture of how our old furniture and comforter was.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow. That is one big bedroom and a room with great bones. I would start by picking a comforter you love and then pulling a lighter wall color from that. What is on the other side of the room? Can you rearrange the furniture? It looks like everything is heavily weighted toward one side of the room. Just do a little at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. Should be a fun project and shouldn't cost much money to make a huge difference :)
    Tina thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • 12 years ago
    Here is an old picture of the other side of the room. The master bedroom is about 19x14 size. What do you think of changing the bed back to the long gold wall? Maybe that would help???
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think the bed's location is going to make a big difference to opening up the room, as 5 feet won't affect the feel all that much. But it's an easy try and choose what is easier for moving around the room. It's always nicer to see the bed head on from your doorway the way it is now (I think?). The difference is going to be paint, comforter and accessories.
    Tina thanked Maureen
  • 12 years ago
    Forgot to attach picture
  • 12 years ago
    LOL.......i was gonna try anything before I tell my husband all the work he as to do. I agree. I like the bed away from the door. We are gonna see if we have any gold paint left, but for now I will take the suggestions of the drapes, move picture, and lighter comforter, and no bench for now. I was actually thinking of chairs at the end of the bed but the furniture in there is already so big.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This image helps alot. Your first and biggest problem is that your rug is a pink beige and your walls are golden yellow beige. Yellow is the worst colour to put next to a pink beige because it really brings out the pink. Blue would do the same but you can still use blue if you add something to the room that will relate to the pink beige carpet. Rule number 1 for choosing paint colours is don't ignore the permanent finishes of your home. If it's staying, it must be taken into consideration. If you ignore the carpet, it will be what throws the entire room off. Therefore, your walls must all be painted unfortunately. A neutral colour I would suggest to go with a pink beige carpet is cc-110 muslin or more of a taupe would work like cc-16 cedar key. You can still bring out blue in your curtain and bedding, but the wall colour must be changed. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Tina thanked Hibou Design & Co.
  • 12 years ago
    Actually that might be camera making the carpet look pinkish. It really doesnt have that tone in person.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you move the dresser with the mirror down a bit so it is closer to the plug on the wall? Now that I see more pics, I don't think you need to rearrange the bed. You seem to have a large dresser across from it which helps balance the room. I stand by my idea that painting would have the biggest impact, but you can certainly make great changes without that until you can butter up that husband of yours. All the best.
  • 12 years ago
    @ksthomps.. could you show pics of all 4 walls... it really helps to see the entire room when making suggestions.
  • 12 years ago
    Sure I will take better pictures later on this evening when I get back home.
  • 12 years ago
    That will be appreciated by all..thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    okay here are more pics
  • 12 years ago
    okay here are more pics
  • 12 years ago
    okay here are more pics
  • 12 years ago
    more pics
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks.. could you also take a pic of the wall that is opposite the bed.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry guess you read my mind... I sent the last message at the same time that you were sending yours.
  • 12 years ago
    Which door is the entrance to the room?
  • 12 years ago
    last ones
  • 12 years ago
    The double door on the right side of tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Great bones to this room, beautiful furniture, great light from windows. I agree with many others need to paint the walls different color and remove the curtains. I would recommend go find bedding which accents the beautiful bed first. Take down all pictures lamps and accessories pick a color from the bedding you purchase and go with that color and paint the walls. Start with the new clean palette and inspiration will follow! Paint and new bedding are a inexpensive way to showcase your large beautiful bedroom and your great furniture.
  • 12 years ago
    You have a lovely spacious room. Love your new set especially the dresser.
    Don't think that the comforter is the problem.
    Are you saying that you do not want to change the wall changing the wall color just the comforter? Can't tell on my computer.. what color is this comforter?
    All the dark furniture plus the dark wall is just too much. As some above have mentioned the brown wall is the main problem. If you have some gold paint leftover I would definitely paint that wall.. it will make a big difference.. the accent wall just isn't working.
    What strikes me about the room is that all the furniture is tall plus all the doorways & the wall shelf ladder... could replace the shelf with an slim table with or without a chair if there is room.
    Notice you have 2 different lamps .. are you choosing between the 2? Love the size of the one by the corner windows.
  • 12 years ago
    The lamps are left over from another room. I plan to purchase another set of lamps as soon as I get the drapes and exchange the comforter. The room is still gonna be a blue/green, gold, and brown. The wall shelf I can replace with a table but a chair will not fit in that space. I was thinking of putting a chair at the end of the bed??? That probably is too much. I had a bench there but it ended up messing up the footboard of my last bed.

    The comforter is like a tan http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/manor-hill-reg-lark-brown-8-piece-nbsp-complete-comforter-set/129714?Keyword=lark
  • 12 years ago
    @pjmorris .. here is some food for thought.

    I think you had the right idea.You had asked in one of your posts above about moving the bed to the long wall.That might be a solution.
    Viewing the bed from a door on the opposite wall is always the best location for the bed. Now that we can see all the walls in your room - the entry door is on an angle of this rectangular room so the long wall is actually the wall opposite the door.
    If you are up for it I would suggest moving the bed to the long wall. This would allow plenty room for the bed & night tables to be on that wall.
    The spot with the corner windows would be a nice place for a comfy chair. Dresser could go between the two windows (where the bed is now).
    If the chest with the TV can go in the spot where the ladder shelf is now. If it doesn't fit the chest could remain where it is & you could mount the TV on the wall in the ladder shelf spot.
    Let me know what you think.
    Tina thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 12 years ago
    Just one last comment here. I think if you are willing to go to the mess and trouble of painting the dark brown wall (which I think you should), then why not do the whole room at once and pick a color that will lighten the room and showcase your beautiful furniture?? Okay, enough of my two cents :).
    Tina thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • 12 years ago
    Wow , I guess my screen color is way off! Nice comforter.
    Tina thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 12 years ago
    I am so thankful for all the comments. This is all new to me and obviously I didnt pay attention to the color assignments in kindergarten. LOL So right now I am hearing that the comforter may not be the problem. Right? I wish that it looked like the way it does on the package. In reality the comforter is really shiny.

    Here are the suggestions so far:
    1. Paint all walls (this will be my absolute last resort. I so hate painting)
    2. Change lamps and pictures
    3. Drapes**
    4. Move bed to long wall (our cable hookup is on the wall with chest and on the wall next to the one window corner)
    5. Paint the brown wall the same color as the other walls*
    6. Move bed and stands to long wall**

    Did i miss anything.
  • 12 years ago
    You've got it!
    Because the comforter is shiny it just isn't doing well with the earthy walls. So toss up.. new wall color or new comforter. Thinking you will go for a new comforter (if this one can't be returned maybe it can go in another room)... & since you hate painting. I am in the process of painting my bedroom as we speak (long overdue), but I DO like painting.

    Guess only a small thing like a comforter can upset the whole apple cart!!

    Another question:
    Is this room on the main floor or the 2nd story? Asking because if it is on the main floor TV hook up can be rerouted from under the floor by way of the basement to put it in the shelf ladder spot (then it would be directly in line for viewing from the bed) If not the TV could go on this wall( I think you mean that one hookup is on the wall between the window & the bathroom door). If here you could use a wall mount with an arm that would allow you to swing it for better viewing from the bed with a slim table under it. Then keep the chest where it is now.

    I think that the bed is so visually heavy that the middle of the room is the best place for it.
    Got any STRONG men in the family who like to show off their strength?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much Leona. Of course I have one strong man (my husband) and something called moving men. LOLLOL Those little sliders work wonders. I am certainly returning that comforter. I thought i was the only one that noticed it was too shiny for the room. Hopefully a new comforter, drapes, and moving the bed will work. Then we can work on moving the tv as you suggested. The room is on the 2nd floor. So we would have to go with the short wall near the bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    I saw those sliders advertised on TV & wondered if they were any good. I think that you will see that that placement will look much more balanced .. please share when you move.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't mean to be a pain in the butt ... But when I design a bedroom the first thing I do is pick the bedding ! Your bed should be the focal point. Once you do that take a colour from that for paint, and accents . If you LOVE that bedding go with it if you don't look for one you Love :). This room is a teenagers room I had her pick out her comforter and we went from there .
  • 12 years ago
    @ksthomps..
    just another thought when rearranging the furniture..measure to see if the chest WILL fit where the ladder shelf is now... if it can & although there is no TV hookup there you can run the cable from the place where it is (by window wall) & run it UNDER the carpet along the wall.. fortunately there is an electrical outlet there for TV power.

    Then when furniture is in place will need to work on getting some FLUFF & soft elements in this room. Can't wait to see the changes!
  • 12 years ago
    the chest is really big. its not going to fit where the ladder is now. hopefully I will be able to find another comforter today. bed bath didnt have any I liked. any store suggestions with a variety of sets?
  • 12 years ago
    Don't know where you live .. I'm in Canada..don't have many choices for shopping here in the country. I need to go to the nearest city which is 3 hours away. I think you may have more opportunities than I do. Good luck on your shopping... look for something that will go with your gold walls & with & big pattern.
  • 12 years ago
    another comforter. havent moved bed yet.
  • 12 years ago
    WOW, now that's what I call speed shopping!!.. Beautiful... you have the blue that you wanted & once the 4th wall is painted gold it will be lovely. Just think about your bed against the gold wall .. a totally different look. LOVE your selection of pillows & when too much work is not involved. That is what I call a "cheap fix" & you may already have some leftover paint.
    Looking at your space again I think that the chest could stay where it is now so that it will not block the window too much.. try that first when moving furniture.. Ned a fluffy plant in the room.
    I'm still on my painting spree.