Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you prefer ONE or TWO story houses?

Emily H
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Do you have a preference? Would you rather have a house all on one level, or would you prefer a second story, perhaps with some separation between bedrooms and living areas?

VOTE and share your experience in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (324)

• Oni Ray
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The whole point of one floor versus two is unfortunately mostly moot outside of the US for the most part - at least in towns and suburbs of large non-US/Canadian/Australian cities. In the US it's possible to have a decent sized single storied house AND a reasonable garden at the same time on those fairly large lots.

But I'm in India and 'plot' sizes (that would be a 'lot' minus the R-o-W) here are so tiny (as they are in the UK, Japan, etc.) that unless you choose to forgo the garden, you can't even build a half decent single storied cottage on those lots for the most part.

So if you want a decent sized house AND a garden at the same time, you better build up. Two floors or even three are basically the norm in suburbs and small towns here.

Our house is all of 2576 SqFt. over two floors (6 beds, 4 baths), which leaves us enough space for a decent landscaped backyard and a tiny but workable front garden. But truth be told, I'd rather have a larger lot and make do with a slightly smaller home if I have to, because I'd love for our kitchen garden to be significantly larger. :-)
  • Dawn Redmond
    9 years ago
    I vote for a two story house. The best ones should have the master suite on the first floor, just in case someone gets injured and for late in life. Children's rooms and their playroom on the 2nd floor works out great as you age and they become guest rooms. Just be sure you have a separate heating/ cooling system for each. A hot water heater on each floor is also a good idea.
  • Shea Joy
    9 years ago
    We had always lived in one story homes until our current two-story. We all noticed how it isolated us from each other. Our teenage daughter was always up in her room except for dinner time and watching the occasional tv show with us. She's grown and gone and now we still end up at opposite ends of the house because my husband's office is upstairs and mine is down. On top of that factor, I fell down the stairs twice, breaking my back once and my elbow the second fall. I realized I was getting a little dizzy going down stairs, probably because of medications. We are in our upper 50s, and the stairs may well mean we have to sell sooner than we'd like. We have a main floor master, but we still want to be able to use the whole house. As for the basement, we didn't go down their for so long that we got a plumbing problem in the basement bathroom and didn't know it until the carpet was ruined. I also feel a two story house cuts you off from the outdoors. Any realtor can tell you that they have clients searching and searching for a one-story. I live in Virginia, and one-story houses are uncommon. The last neighbor to move into our neighborhood told me she had looked for a one-story in our town for two years before settling for her new house. She said they would probably still build one and move again.
  • Sheree Zaerr
    9 years ago
    Two story until you are over 50, then you gotta get rid of the stairs!
  • pdk920
    9 years ago

I love my little 1930 2-story house. It's compact and leaves outdoor space even on a small city lot; it also has views of the river from the 2nd floor. I'm planning to relocate the washer/dryer into a little hall off the kitchen so I won't need to carry loads of laundry up and down to the basement.

I don't run up and down the stairs two at a time anymore, but if I get old (I'm 76) I'll put in a chair to help. I've been here 45 years and I have never fallen.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

i like my 3 story house too, same thing small in-town footprint but a lot of square footage and much more sound privacy between one floor and another. we have front and back stairs so a stair lift will be no problem if thats the route we need to go some year.

• sandidiana
    8 years ago

I commented on this post a long time ago, but just saw it pop up in my feed again and wanted to add one pic of the exterior of my new custom Craftsman ranch, completed in December. SO happy I decided to build a ranch this time :-)

Custom Build 2014 · More Info

• loniluna
    8 years ago

Being in my early 60's, I prefer bungalows. I recently listened to a radio segment that discussed what to purchase/build if you are interested in living in your home as you age. My bungalow was 98% compliant. It is approx. 2,200 sq. ft.

I also love the openness of my home, which is essentially one larger room (with twists and turns), and lots of windows. This would be harder to achieve in a 2-storey home.

Finally, I like the sense of having all I need around me. By this I mean, I am always near the kitchen...I don't have to go downstairs to get there. Odd.

I lived in Ottawa at one time, and there was really only 1 area close to downtown with primarily bungalows. The prices of these properties is so high, because bungalows are becoming increasingly popular as the population ages.

• Susan Warheit
    8 years ago

One reason that I prefer a ranch over a two story is the water supply and waste piping location. In a ranch if your plumbing or sewage should start to drip or leak, or if someone over flows a tub or toilet, it would be bad, perhaps replacing some carpet etc. If the plumbing or a overflow would happen in a two story it would absolutely destroy the house. Replacing upstairs flooring, the ceilings on the first floor, first floor flooring, walls kitchen cabinets etc. it would be a nightmare. Many people with a laundry on the second story neglect to replace the supply hoses on a regular basis and if one of them should burst while on vacation, it would be horrible.

• MahtaMouse
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Susan, you are so right! This just happened recently to my sister and it was a nightmare! Ceilings, carpeting, flooring, floor tile, walls, vanity mirrors, downstairs cabinetry, etc.; all had to be replaced because of an upstairs leak. She had to cancel Christmas dinner because of 2' holes in her ceilings (plural) and walls, as well as the downstairs & upstairs guest bathrooms being out of commission. Walls and ceiling holes had to be left open and exposed for weeks so as to dry out. I was shocked when damage wasn't just confined to the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms either as the water traveled along upstairs pipes like a highway and into other downstairs rooms (ceilings AND walls). Repairs took WELL over a month.

• pdk920
    8 years ago

It's pretty simple to just turn the water off where it enters the house when you leave on vacation; good idea no matter how many levels you have. And drain the pipes if you live where freezing might occur.

• Elsa
    8 years ago
    I like bedrooms away from the main level so that if someone wants to be up later or earlier, it doesn't wake anyone. Also, if someone is not feeling well, others can enjoy themselves and each other without disturbing the person who is laying low in the bedroom.
  • kathy
    8 years ago

First home was a raised ranch, with a finished basement. That effectively doubled our 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom house to a much roomier home with a basement tv/playroom, another bedroom and bathroom. Since then we have been in 2 story 4 bedroom homes, with main floor family rooms as well as formal living and dining rooms. But although we had fewer rooms in our first house, they were all bigger so our small house 'lived' larger than our bigger houses!

Now that the children are at university and we see the end of their time living with us (even if they do have to come back a time or two!), my dream house would be one and a half story! Living space and master on main level, a loft and a bedroom with bath upstairs, then of course a finished basement with large rec room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. And since this is my dream home, make it on a lake!

• Milly Rey
    8 years ago

Two-plus-story, but no flights of stairs more that 7 steps long because I think I will always be a klutz!

• Paul N
    8 years ago

I love my one story ranch style house with full basement.

• MahtaMouse
    8 years ago

pdk920... wish I'd thought of that years ago when I left on a trip in Dec. Came back about 2 weeks later to find it'd snowed and all the pipes had frozen but fortunately didn't burst. The fish tank however had a solid layer of ice on top and son of a gun, a few weeks later we had an explosion of baby goldfish, lol!

As for my sister's dilemma; she was home and just didn't realize there was a leaky pipe upstairs until she noticed the large wet spot on her family room ceiling... two rooms away from the upstairs bathroom :(

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Frankly, plumbing is always a hazard but we can't do without it. Even in a single-story house, even in a new house, leaks and burst pipes can be a disaster. Believe me, I know!

• Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    I'd like a 3+ Storey house, but for now, I've got 2 stories
  • Rio Brewster
    8 years ago

I like the separation of public and private spaces in a 2 story and the open feel of the high ceilings, but now that we are getting older, we moved to a one story. In our neighborhood, 1 stories are sold before they even hit the market, while 2 stories sit for awhile.

• PRO
    El Dorado Furniture
    8 years ago

I prefer one story. My kids are little! It is safer that way.

• airsunshine
    8 years ago

Definitely two or more levels. I feel safer sleeping upstairs.

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago
    There's
  • Ava Williams
    8 years ago
    Three please including basement
  • M Rene Designs
    8 years ago

If I were down in FL or a warmer climate with parents, the one levels are really nice. With kids, husband, and family anywhere else, could be either. All depends on the suburb.

• kristinanadreau
    8 years ago

I have bad knees. no more steps for me.

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago

I like three story houses including the basement.

• marielpeppy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When I broke my foot and had to be on crutches for four months, our two story house plus stairs going up to our front door was a real pain. When we decided to move, we bought a one story house and we love it.

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago

I can totally agree with you marielpeppy! I sprain my ankle badly and was on crutches for two weeks. Stairs were dreaded...

• Belahn
    8 years ago

Multi level homes can be beautiful and I love to look at staircases. I just don't want one!

• Jean Hopkins
    8 years ago

It seems a little late to be responding to this request (over two years later) but I only found HOUZZ this moring and I'm a newby - just catching up! Let me tell you that I lived in single story houses all my life until I retired from the military to rural PA and to a 120-year-old farmhouse with four stories. I have been here 18 years now and remember with fondness all those one-level homes I was in before. Stairs are great if you are in reasonably good shape and ok, YOUNG. But now that I'm getting on a bit, I resent every stair climb. I make sure to do 5 things every trip! So, stairs when you are young, then a rambling FLAT western-style house when you are older!

• bfmyers91
    8 years ago

I just discovered houzz when I googled one v. two stories--thank you for all of your input. I am at a crossroads of sorts--trying to decide whether or not to downsize from my two story "Brady-Bunch-esque executive home" (built in the 60s) to a one story ranch. I am in my early 60s--the stairs are not an issue but I am a recent widow and empty-nester (four rooms are no longer in use and feel somewhat superfluous). However, I live in Orange County, CA and our home prices are in the stratosphere--ugh, today I toured three $1,000,000 plus fixer-uppers--yikes!

• Angela Hutchison
    7 years ago

I live in Virginia and it is nearly impossible to find a one story home. They finally got the message about putting the MB on the first floor. But if you are young family, you don't want your children on another floor. In FL that is they are now starting to build a second floor. It may work until you're 70, but after that you don't care if you ever see another step. Virginia just keeps stacking floors on top of Floors. Soon you will be living in a hotel instead of a Townhouse. just to get more houses on a pieces of land. My father was a builder from the 50's-70's. You didn't see the garbage like you see today. They were built of brick, There was quality control. Plaster walls, not Chinese dry wall. Not put up in 3 months. They took a lot of inspections and a lot of quality control. My brother built our home in Great Falls VA. with a lot of lip from my husband who also was in the construction business, just a different kind. There is now or ever will be a house like that built like that in Great Falls VA. There is 18'' of concrete holding up the house. A 73ft steel I beam 1'' flange holding up the concrete. The was 3 heating system gas, hot air, and hot water. Now houses use heat pumps. The house I live now is so level, a pen will roll of the table. When my brother walked into this house while they were building it he walked into the master bedroom. he immediately this floor is not level. He always kept a level in his car. Well, he was right. It was 2"inches off. Of course they had to jack the house up. We said AW WELL, it just temporary. we were going to find a lot and build another house. We had a Circular staircase with a 6" rise on the steps. Each step was 12 deep so you could put your whole foot on the step, Unlike where I live now where you have a 8" rise and barely can put your foot on it. you have to have long legs too. Remember what I said about 70 well, I'm almost there. My Great Falls house which I designed. ( I'll take the credit) It was way ahead of it's time. There were not a bunch of little rooms. It had a open Floor plan like which is Popular today. There was a large Kitchen, dining area and Family room. Then behind that were hand made glass doors that was a SunRoom. (my so called screened porch) which had heated floors, hot water heat with beautiful Pella windows all around. ( it sure wasn't the screened in porch I had wanted all my life.) I'm still searching for this house. Renaissance Homes is out of Business. Boy do I understand WHY. Forgive me for getting too carried away. When you know good from bad, it's hard to keep your mouth shut.

Angie Chain Builders just like chain stores worthless!!!

• Bev
    7 years ago

I live in a 5 story Cape Cod! I believe I just answered this question.

• Diane
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We are seniors living in a ranch, the back is high so we can open windows for sleeping. I love big open windows. Has a seasonal porch, seasonal view of city and river. Hardwood flooring main level. But our house needs some updating too. We have been searching for another home for years. We gave a Tiny yard but so many bushes and things around us. We have woods directly behind us , lots of trimming work thru the years. Its old construction so cold in the winter. We do go in and out the basement so we are very accustomed to steps, I personally thing they are good for us. But there was a time I had an injury and was grateful for the one floor. So now, We found a two story I love with half acre, I know we are old but I never hand any kind of yard ever! Bedrooms up stairs laundry in basement. So I am thinking put laundry room in (two) garage straight off house. We have never had a garage either. Has a half bath on main level. There is a super outdoor living area deck that over looks this beautiful yard with fantastic sunsets. Has nice windows throughout the house I would add one more upper level to get the view of the back. It is lots of money and I am not liking the previous owners taste for the most part. So needs paper removal and painting. Does have hardwood floors main level. Are we nuts? I want to move but am scared. Opinions welcomed.

• pdk920
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Diane, it sounds like a nice house/yard that you really like, and it can be configured so you're not running up and down stairs constantly. But making it just right for you might be a big investment of money and energy. I personally love two-story houses, so I'd say go for it (I'm 77 and live in a 2-story w/basement) but be sure to consider your decision from all angles -- you should be sure this is the one you really want.

• Diane
    7 years ago

PDK I over analyze everything , our current house has issues and we have lived here 30 years. BUT I made it a point to use those steps we do have but two flights Yikes haha. The house we are looking at has nearly all what I want. The yard we will have to pay someone to do it my husband is getting too old. But the look of it is so beautiful. No woods just a few trees. I just love sleeping with windows open in the spring and fall . This arrangement here is pretty good most ranch houses I would no be able to sleep with open windows. I have to have that period. I love windows too we have beautiful windows here . This house we looked at has really nice size ones although not as big as mine. Problem is inventory of houses to pick from slim to none here. Its very much a seller's market. Its hard to leave what your used to and comfortable with. Our ranch is pretty too thats uncommon. I think ranches can be ugly. Ours is painted white brick with black trim. Another problem going to need painted in the recent future. $$ My husband painted it years ago lasted well but close to needing to be done.

• pdk920
    7 years ago

It's a big decision, balancing what you have (and know well) against something that might be even better. I agree about windows too; I love big open windows and fresh air. Good luck; I'm sure you'll decide on what's best for you!

• Grace O' Malley
    7 years ago

I like the look of a two story but for functionality, I prefer a one story.

• Gaylen Marie
    7 years ago
    1 story. We hope to remodel our 2 story to an age in place home. should have bought the ranch!!
  • pamiss45
    6 years ago

I was a permanent knee injury at age 40. My husband wanted a home and we went with one story plus basement. Everything to deal with in an emergency is in that basement which had a 7 1/2 foot ceiling and 17 steps down to it. I learned to hate that basement real quick when the lights/power went out and hubby was at work. After he passed away, I sold the home and live in a condo on the 2nd floor with an elevator. I plan to move to a 1st floor condo.

As a nurse, I have seen so many people that have injuries to knees, ankles, hips - have to give up their homes because of the stairs.

Someone did mention an elevator. My parents bought a condo on the 2nd floor and it has an elevator - they both had mobility problems. But if there is a problem with the elevator and it is out of service for 3 days - you are stranded. And an elevator cannot be used if there is a fire.

• PRO
    Designing APPEAL
    6 years ago

I responded "other," which requires an explanation. It depends on where you live. I'm New England-based and experience cold seasonal weather. Rambling ranches are a challenge to heat efficiently. Engineering-wise a two-story "box" makes much more sense. Traditional designs often evolve from collective experiences.

• loniluna
    6 years ago

I responded 1 level....my hubby and I are in our late 60s and we recently moved into an area where a l level home was feasible. Our home is 2,400 sq feet without ANY steps....all wheelchair accessible.....

• loniluna
    6 years ago

To add that there are many areas where 1 level homes are NOT an option....e.g. living in the downtown area of older cities.....

I recently moved from a major city which has a suburb close to downtown that was built in the 1950s and is entirely comprised of bungalows.

The price of these properties has soared as the population ages....many are competing for the few bungalows that come onto the market.

• Melanie Smith
    4 years ago

I think preference depends a lot on where you are in life. When I was younger I lived primarily in 2-story homes and now I definitely prefer single story living.

I think for young families a two-story is great, but there is the potential risk to toddlers with the stairs. However it is nice to have the privacy of the master down and the additional bedrooms up. This can, of course, also be achieved with a split/wing floor plan in a single story.

It really depends on the house and floor plan. I do think a single story could be lived in forever though, because there are no stairs.

• Emilie Bova
    4 years ago

I have the best of both worlds-- a two story house with an elevator!

• juleppark
    4 years ago

Lucky you.

• KATHY
    4 years ago

I am 54 and always been a ranch style house girl on a crawlspace, never liked houses on a slab.

• aliceingardenland
    4 years ago

Two story homes are more practical because home builders use small lots. However, I am always impressed at the space and layout when I am walking through a one story home. The flow seems better to me.

• st5330
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

To me, ranch is the only style id ever want. same square footage feels so much larger when its one story and not two. Easier to move between private and public areas of the home. ours spans almost our entire lot and gives a lot of space for landscaping out front, outdoor living out back. Stairs are challenging when your very old or very young! here, most have full basements not counted in the listed square footage = bonus whole other house underneath (ours is over half finished, the other part is nice but concrete floor and walls and used for utilities/laundry/storage). Of all the home types, split levels dont make sense to me

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

Two stories!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville