Software
Houzz Logo Print
joannewow

Custom bookshelves transform a living room space

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
In this rather small living room, the goal was to design custom storage (the fireplace side walls were rather shallow, and we did not want to touch the original plaster mouldings in the room)
We also needed to incorporate a TV, though more for occasional TV watching.
We also added a pair of occasional chairs, and reused an existing sofa the client had in storage.
Oddly enough, the addition of the bookshelves helped the room feel larger!
Click on the last picture, you'll see text below the picture that will link you to this project in our Portfolio!
http://www.houzz.com/projects/577393/NDG-bookshelves

Comments (46)

  • 12 years ago
    Wow! I think it looks fabulous!
    Wow Great Place thanked Alex511
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great way to utilize the space!
    Wow Great Place thanked Travis Robert Renovations
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you folks! She is thrilled with the changes, and actually, these pictures don't do the space justice. It is so much cozier now!
  • 12 years ago
    Nice shelves and storage.
    Wow Great Place thanked apple_pie_order
  • 12 years ago
    Curious why the top of shelves doesn't go to ceiling/ match level of crown molding ?
  • 12 years ago
    No me gustaron los ladrillos de la chimenea, le resta.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi madgone,
    In this living room, there were original plaster cove mouldings all around the room. If the bookshelves went to the ceiling, we would have had issues tying the crown moulding of the bookshelves into the chimney, and also in matching up the profile.
    We did not have the budget or the desire to deal with replicating that detail, so we decided to stop short of the existing moulding on purpose.
  • 12 years ago
    That is sooo my living room. I've always wanted shelves on each side of the fireplace and now I know how fantastic they look. Hubby, where are you? I want those shelves. Now. Please.
    Wow Great Place thanked Leanne Haltiner
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice. Well done.
    Wow Great Place thanked Maureen Mohun
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great job. It does seem larger. Beautiful.
    Wow Great Place thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Looks fabulous and like it's always been that way!! Love that you didn't take the bookshelves to the ceiling as it gave reason to add more detail to the wall. Love it!
    Wow Great Place thanked Cheryl Fadden
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you all!
    And FYI, there will be a dimmer installed on the lighting, it was not installed yet, the electrician needs to return. I find the lights a wee bit bright, though they are much less so in real life than in the pictures.
  • 12 years ago
    Love it
    Wow Great Place thanked Diane Pittenger
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Congrats on a job well done! Cheers!
    Wow Great Place thanked SIMPLE SQUARE DESIGN
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not sure about the fire but it is definitely much better
    Wow Great Place thanked Claudia Vargas
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, this is one of the best I've seen. Perfect.
    Wow Great Place thanked Linda Rooney
  • 12 years ago
    This is one of my favorite ... beautiful job !!
    Wow Great Place thanked Curtis O'brien
  • 12 years ago
    I like the way you've tied in the profile of the fireplace mantel to the rest of the finishes. Such an elegant touch.
    Wow Great Place thanked debbietarrant
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Love this transformation!❤️
    Wow Great Place thanked Amanda Mély
  • 12 years ago
    Gorgeous! I'm going to be critical because I'm so envious--I would add some molding around the window, but otherwise it's simply perfect.
    Wow Great Place thanked Denise Jones
  • 12 years ago
    Real nice I love the changes but I would prefer to see books on shelves :-)
    Wow Great Place thanked goxwa
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice but I would have put them all the way to the top. I dont like dusting that high :)
    Wow Great Place thanked Kristín Snæland
  • 12 years ago
    Much better than it was I hope they find a better place for the tv, looks like viewing would be difficult where it it now.
    Wow Great Place thanked Jane Burgett
  • 12 years ago
    WOW what a change, I just love it....
    Wow Great Place thanked Birgit
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, very impressive
    Wow Great Place thanked Debbie George
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Jane,
    This homeowner does not use this room as the main TV watching space, but wanted a TV here since she could see this screen from her kitchen. She has another TV in a family room. This was the only place we could put a TV, since the room is narrow and she did not want one above the fireplace. She actually loves having the TV there!
    Every choice made in design, whether it be by a designer or a homeowner, needs to work best for the people who will use the space, and in this case, that was the best solution for this client.
  • 12 years ago
    Well done. Lights on shelves add ambience to the room
    Wow Great Place thanked plfs
  • 12 years ago
    Love this...beautiful.
    Wow Great Place thanked Peggy Corrigan
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice. I did something similar but alas do not have a fireplace.
    Wow Great Place thanked paells
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice work!
    Wow Great Place thanked Signature Home Services
  • 12 years ago
    Love built ins. Swap the painting for a full scale big canvas!
    Wow Great Place thanked Carmela Scrocca
  • 12 years ago
    Well done!!
    Wow Great Place thanked Debra Utt-Johnson
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Carmela Scrocca. The mantle needs a large scale artwork
    Wow Great Place thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    It looks lovely.... You did a great job!
    Wow Great Place thanked mollanlj
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I also agree with Carmela, I would love to see a large scale piece of art above the mantel! We are on the hunt for one, but in the meantime, I leaned this on the mantel in order to have a little colour there, and was just too anxious to post these pictures! ;)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I can see why for wanting to post! The room is lovely!!!
    Wow Great Place thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice! Agree with others about the mantle art.
    Wow Great Place thanked lellogirl
  • 12 years ago
    The lighting in the shelving really makes it work! I agree, it does look more spacious.
    Wow Great Place thanked flyr4fun
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Wow, great transformation!
    Wow Great Place thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    As a whole it looks great.....especially your choice to use two different covers on the chairs chairs. Maybe I would have hung the TV over the fireplace.
    Wow Great Place thanked Crawfords Fine Furniture & Design
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thanks, Crawfords, but the space was not meant to be about TV watching, hence the TV tucked into the side of the bookcase. (when a TV is turned off, it is just a big black box, so she wanted to keep that space for more art, not a TV)
    As well, the fireplace is a wood burning fireplace, so that opens a whole other can of worms in mounting a TV above and the heat coming off the fire....
    For this client, it was the perfect set up! ;)
  • 12 years ago
    I love the lighting in the built ins- very dramatic.
    Wow Great Place thanked sbrustein
  • 12 years ago
    The change is great! However, I'm curious why there are so many lamps in addition to the under cabinet lighting?
    Wow Great Place thanked meusername
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful
    Wow Great Place thanked condomary
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi meusername, thanks for the feedback!
    Actually, we often layer in lighting in a space, as not all lighting will serve the same purpose.
    The lighting built into the cabinetry is meant to highlight her collection, not light the room.
    Those little puck lights also would not make for good task lighting, which is why the floor lamp stayed beside the sofa (great spot for reading)
    The little lamp beside the TV was to add some ambience, as we did not want to put the brighter puck lights into the shelf where the TV is, or it would have washed out the TV screen.
    The little lamp is also a great accent when the lighting in the built-ins is turned off, almost like candlelight. And imagine, without the little accent lamp beside the TV, that shelf would have almost a "black hole" effect in the built-ins.
    Hope that helps!