Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_howard

How Can I lighten up this kitchen?

Molly Howard
9 years ago
I have a kitchen that is very dark because of little natural light and darker paint. How can I lighten this up without painting the cabinets or the backsplash since I am on a limited budget. Thanks for any help!

Comments (21)

• armygirl1987
    9 years ago
    Can you paint the walls.
  • Molly Howard
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I would like to but not sure what to do. Just don't want to paint the cabinets. They are maple with a black glaze.
  • armygirl1987
    9 years ago
    Can you try under lighting?
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Inexpensive undercabinet lighting....you can get the light roping strips at the big box stores...it will make a huge difference.

I'd also de clutter....take all the things off top of cabinetry...while it won't add light per se,it will add to a " lighter" cleaner look.
  • Amy Eberhardt
    9 years ago
    My undercounter lighting works wonders!! Worth the price!!
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Oh and yes paint walls lighter color...
  • Molly Howard
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have undercounted lighting already. It just doesn't lighten it up very much.
  • armygirl1987
    9 years ago
    I think you need to lighten up the room with paint. Post a better picture
  • PRO
    Tuscany Builders and Design
    9 years ago
    Just paint the soffit a lighter color- That is the space above your cabinets where your display area is. A lighter color will also make them "pop" instead of compete with the dark paint that is there now.
  • whattahouse
    9 years ago
    Hi Molly -what about recessed lighting in the ceiling? The kitchen looks lovely - and if you already have undermount lighting, perhaps you could switch out the bulbs for brighter ones (you would have to make sure your wiring is set up for higher wattage) but recessed lighting and perhaps a couple different switches to control different areas (or a dimmer) would help. Plus this type of lighting is really pretty.
  • whattahouse
    9 years ago
    Definitely recessed lights above the soffits would help...
  • Lanitra Bynum
    9 years ago
    A lot of people do not know this but you can really brighten up your space by getting rid of those very dark furniture pieces and by some lighter color pieces. Also your decor should be light as well with a little dark color for contrast.
  • Moxiemom
    9 years ago
    You have some lovely things, but too many of them. I see your crockpot out. Does that mean you are short on storage? I think a nice light color on the walls would be nice. Your lamps seem dated as does the tablecloth. Are the books for show or do you really read in your kitchen? The ceramic pots are pretty. They are worth showing off, but ditch the fake lemons or apples in glass. They are just dust catchers. You will be surprised once you start paring down, you won't miss the clutter.
  • sumeetinaz
    9 years ago
    molly, would you consider taking everything away (all decorations, pots) and living with it (bare look) for 2 days? If the kitchen still seems dark, you can consider a lighter paint. The picture you posted doesn't show how much of wall space you have. If you click some more pics and post them, the houzzers can help you pick a paint color
  • sumeetinaz
    9 years ago
    never mind I do see the adjoining walls in the pics you posted. How about a light beige paint color to match your back splash tile?
  • PRO
    SWANSON RENOVATIONS - LUXURY DESIGN & BUILD
    9 years ago
    Under cabinet lighting, plus rope lighting above the cabinets will make a big difference. Solar tube skylights can bring the natural light in as well. I belive you can never have to many lighting choices. Pendant lighting over the island could be an option if it doesn't make the space smaller than it already is. The darker finishes make for a warm and inviting kitchen and dining.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Cheapest fix is to declutter, removing all the dark toned items, and then using only the lightest decor you have when you put things out. Second cheapest is paint for the dark wall. Your cabs will look better with a lighter background.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yup, lighten up on the accessories and fabrics. Then paint the walls a lighter color. In, a smallish, dark space, if you don't actually use it at least weekly, donate it, box it or sell it.
  • Molly Howard
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Any suggestions on paint color? Would Gray Owl, Revere Pewter or Tyler Gray possibly work as to not clash with my living room? My living room color is Valspar Coastal Villa.
  • Emm C
    9 years ago
    Or repaint the drawer the lamps are on to cream or white and change the chargers to match.
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County