Software
Houzz Logo Print
bronte0815

Disappointed! No wood in foyer...

12 years ago
Recently had a structural meeting with designer and she confirmed that the builder will not continue the hardwood (or laminate for that matter) throughout the main floor to the front foyer/entry area. The home is a 2 storey, 1600 sf town-home and I really wanted a seamless look to the main floor. Now I have to do tile (selections are dull) Has anyone else encountered this and can explain why this is so? I have lived in a few condominiums and have always had laminate throughout. They will not even let me sign a waiver...

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Did you ask the builder? If you are paying, you should be able to choose.
  • 12 years ago
    My sentiments exactly! But no, the builder will absolutely not do it in any of their homes. It's some kind of liability issue and they won't do it even if I were to sign a waiver.
  • 12 years ago
    I am in Ontario, Canada. I have no qualms about it, however the builder refuses to put the hardwood through to the front door.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you purchase extra wood and put it in yourself after you move in?
  • 12 years ago
    Good advice from advira! This would annoy me greatly every time I looked at the tile I didn't want. Make sure you purchase enough for it to be woven in. I have no issues with my hardwood foyer and live in the snowbelt.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry I can't offer a helpful solution. I think your dilemma is that builders contract out work. The contractor is paid to do certain identical work in all buildings on the site. Any change would be a load of paperwork. I'm not defending them by any means. I live in Toronto as well. Had a problem myself in 2004 when I bought a townhome. I didn't want a light fixture in the middle of the great room ceiling. The builder was going to charge $350.00 to not install the fixture! Sounds like your builder is stringing you a line. They can agree to or offer any changes they want, if they feel so inclined. I expect the liability might be the wear and tear to wood right inside the entrance, perhaps thinking the homeowner would try to pin water damage or whatever on the builder. Stepping into a wood entrance directly from outside is totally different than stepping through your front door of a condo - rain, snow, mud etc. I would try to find out if any other purchasers did in fact get wood floors throughout. You might run into others when you are around the site checking things out.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for your input everyone. I had hoped a builder pro would provide their expertise in this matter. It is amazing to spend so much money on a new home and be unable to 1) get something that you are ready to pay for and 2) are willing to sign a waiver so that the builder is not liable for water damage.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think a builder pro's opinion, idea would make much difference in your case Frederique. There are no rules, laws compelling builders to bow to the wishes of purhasers unless there is a legal agreement. Hopefully you are young and this is not your forever home. Despite your disappointment, the lesson learned is to get your wishes, desires in writing before making a monetary commitment. I hope somehow you get what you really want.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks condomary, I had never imagined that this is something to have thought about before buying. Based on past experience in condos and all the gorgeous wood floor foyers I have seen on houzz, I thought it was a given. Lesson learned.