Software
Houzz Logo Print
bancken

This is what I did with the help of Houzz

12 years ago
I would like to thank the designers of this site for their generosity. We just moved into our retirement home and I designed it myself with the help of your web site. Now I need help with curtains.

Comments (24)

  • 12 years ago
    Great job. I am in love with your kitchen! It is a very similar layout to mine. Now I have some ideas for when we remodel it. As far as the curtains, I think a simple white or cream drape would look nice.
    bancken thanked hambirg
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beautiful job! If you do not have privacy or sun issues, stay with light and airy curtains. Use something that can be pulled back all the way during the daytime and then drawn closed at night. Light curtains will keep the space more open and appear larger.
    However, for a more bold look, use dark curtains to frame the windows (especially in the family room with the fireplace). Since you used dark wood around the fireplace, dark curtains on either side will work also.
    With the color materials you have already in place, either light or dark would work fine. It all depends on your personality!
    bancken thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
  • 12 years ago
    I've purchased linen blend curtains from the Country Curtains company. They are washable and allow light to come in yet give privacy. They come in natural, white and a few other shades. Highly recommend.Your kitchen and rest of the home is gorgeous. Congratulations!
    bancken thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! You've done a terrific job...lovely new home for you to enjoy.
    bancken thanked edithsmom
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Congratulations! It is beautiful! So nice to see the results of a team effort with your designer friends on Houzz!

    I'd consider roman shades -- either alone or with curtains.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    bancken thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    @rainymorning: I hope you allowed for length shrinkage for your Country Curtains curtains. The ones I ordered were "washable - line dry" and shrank up noticably. Ordered the extra wide panels so width not a problem, just the length shrinkage.
    bancken thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    No curtain advice, but have to say that your home is gorgeous. Congrats on the new place!
    bancken thanked jemimabean
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agree with groveraxle -- your window casings are too beautiful to cover up with curtains.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    bancken thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    What a beautiful home in which to enjoy your retirement years -- functional and elegant! And out in the country? Love your countertops, subway tile, glass cabinets, floors, dining table, overall colors . . . the duck on the mantle. Your windows are so nice; I agree with others, don't cover them all up. An aside: What brand/model range and microwave did you go with?
    bancken thanked ohrelax
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for your advice unfortunately my husband refuses to screw into the window casing. Do I need a covering on the kitchen if it looks out on to a field but the dining room will have a roman of some sort? Also what do you think of stationary Romans if they are never going yo be closed?
  • 12 years ago
    ohrelax Our both our range and microwave are KitchenAid.
  • 12 years ago
    Not trying to talk you into curtains. Just wanted to address Adivra regarding the linen blend curtains from Country Curtains. I've machine washed and dried mine with no shrinkage. Please let us know what you finally decide to do for window dressing.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That sounds familiar, no man wants to ruin window casing (especially new window casing!) Looks like tension rods might work in your case. Just don't hang anything too heavy. It will soften the look, but won't hurt anything.
    bancken thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
  • 12 years ago
    Well done!
    bancken thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    As an aside, I am amazed at and wondering why all these professional designers who contribute to the Houzz forum offer free advice when their livelihood requires charging fees for their expertise.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We are in the business to help people and improve their lives. Unlike the horrible reputations some contractors have, we strive to be the best at what we do. We are proud to share our knowledge and experience with anyone who asks for help whether or not they hire us. It's not always about making money, it's about doing what you love and acting like a professional.
    bancken thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
  • 12 years ago
    Simply lovely. I am a bit green with envy. I also vote to leave window casings exposed and think the clean lines of either roman shades or matchstick shades would complement your present decor. Hope you enjoy your new spaces!
    bancken thanked reneebev
  • 12 years ago
    Your home looks beautiful! Great job on decorating, I really like the style you've got going. :)

    I recommend that you use a sheer colored curtain on your windows (if privacy isn't an issue). You could always double layer curtains by getting a solid base curtain that provides privacy when needed, and have a sheer/colored curtain as the top layer. There are double layer curtain rods you can purchase to achieve his look.

    I personally have this in my home, and when I have the sheer colored curtains pulled over my windows, it really brightens my living area with a soft turquoise glow. When I want privacy I pull my solid white base curtains over my windows with the sheer turquoise on top.
    bancken thanked Kenz D
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think you NEED a covering on the kitchen window, but if you do decide to go with something decorative, I would hang a valance close to the ceiling. Hang it so it is really mostly just covering that wall space and the top casing.
    bancken thanked hambirg
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    looks great
    bancken thanked Comwest Construction
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with hambirg--a valance will keep your view unobstructed, 'heighten' the window, and add a lovely soft element to your beautiful kitchen.
    bancken thanked ohrelax
  • 12 years ago
    P.S. My over-the-sink kitchen window has a simple, cream colored valance that adds softness while blending nicely with my French vanilla cabinets. You could do the same for a subtle elegant effect--or add color!
    bancken thanked ohrelax
  • 12 years ago
    This kitchen is gorgeous !!
    bancken thanked beachlily