Software
Houzz Logo Print
shelby_cromwell

Backsplash?

12 years ago
It's time to add a backsplash, what would you suggest? Our cabinets are a cream color, with walls painted a terra cotta color. The trim is white. We can take out the temporary fix under the window.
Thanks for any advice!
Shelby

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like this arabesque shaped tile in white for your traditional kitchen. White or cream subway tile would also be a nice, simple option.
    Arabesque - Glass - White Tulip Glossy, Box of 4.5 Square Feet · More Info

    French Country Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    what is your style? would you like a unique eclectic style? or do you want more traditional or neutral? a subway tile like the middle picture could be more traditional in a neutral shade, or could have a pop of color
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What about something similar to this tile? It has a hint of the red terra cotta tile color and it works well with cream colored cabinets and darker countertops. Best of luck!
    -Chelsea Construction
    San Pasqual · More Info

    San Pasqual · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen looks beautiful as is! I love the terra cotta contrast with the white cabinets. Also love your cabinet hardware. If it were mine, I might not even bother with a backsplash, but if you feel you need it, stick with something solid in one of the colors of your other materials: cream or terra cotta tiles, or even just a small strip to match your counters.
  • 12 years ago
    If you like the earth tone of your kitchen and want warm colors, consider glass/stone mosaic tile that pull colors from around your kitchen or pairs well with them. You can do an accent of the mosaic tile with a more neutral subway or wall tile, or do the whole thing in mosaic tile. See below for some thoughts I had. My apologies though, because these are photos I just took with my iphone from our selection here at our design center.

    1st photo: One of the bottom colors perhaps?
    2nd: Middle right, or any of the ones with the auburn tones
    3rd: Middle right or top left
    4th: that one 8)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    With such striking walls, you might want to go neutral with your backsplash. Consider a monochromatic tile that matches the existing cabinetry.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    To compliment the colors of your cabinets, you could consider this glass mosaic tile for your backsplash.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the feedback. At first we felt there was no need for a backsplash, but now we've got our house on the market and our realtor suggested we add one. The paint is chipping around the canisters. We want to do something we like, in case we stay, but something contemporary since we've been accused of being too traditional! I like the idea of a mosaic, because aren't subway tiles getting boring? I love the arabesque suggestion, that looks really interesting.
    She also suggested we change the hardware, we copied a designer kitchen 5+ years ago with those knobs, so I'm glad someone else out there likes them!
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry if I offended you with the traditional statement. I surly didn’t meant to. I myself have a traditional style and struggle with contemporary suggestions. Whatever you decide I’m sure it will look beautiful.
  • 12 years ago
    Gina, you did not offend me, as my style is traditional. When we bought this colonial we decided to try to make it look like a much older home. Now we are trying to add some contemporary touches in order to sell it. Maybe that's a mistake, that is my quandary! We might want to just keep it traditional or go for neutrals. Actually, your first photo with the mix of various sized subway tiles is one of my favorites, the glass tiles in cream. Our counters are soapstone though, so would glass be too shiny?
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH