Software
Houzz Logo Print
lexbones

Need help for my kitchen paint color

12 years ago
Hi! I am looking for help choosing a paint color for my kitchen. I have natural (maple, I think) color cabinets in my galley kitchen. The cabinets are along one wall and there's a big blank, empty wall on the other side (where I have a black sideboard from Ikea for extra storage and counter space). The counter tops are black granite and I have stainless steel appliances (all of the cabinets and appliances are on one wall). I will say, I hate the color of the cabinets. I actually dislike the counters too, especially with the cabinets, but I can live with the counters. In an ideal world, I would paint the cabinets white or gray, but I think the expense of hiring someone or the time to do it myself (and chance of ruining them) makes it too much to do. I am trying to find a wall color and back splash that I will like and hopefully make me forget about how much I hate the cabinets. I tried a green as you can see in the picture (Spring Hill by Behr) but I don't really like it.

I've tried some neutrals, grays, etc. Everything seems to blend too much with the cabinets or clash (grays are not working although theoretically I'd love a gray). I have not tried anything too dark yet. I've considered painting the walls white but since I think the cabinets and counters are already kind of boring, I didn't want a boring paint color too (and a big white wall is SUPER boring, although I do plan to add shelves on that wall after I decide on paint).

I'm currently considering doing a darker color on the "cabinet side" and a lighter color on the "empty wall" side. I've also considered wall paper or a stencil on the empty wall side, to balance things out, but perhaps that will be too much. The light cabinets with the black counters is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. If you have any suggestions or insight I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (7)