Software
Houzz Logo Print
samazi

Help pull our nursery together!!

12 years ago
So we finally have all the furniture in our nursery but I need help with the placement of it! As you can see we are working with a very large eyesore recliner, but I couldn't argue with my hubby when he said we will likely want comfort over beauty at 3am.. so there it sits.

Also, on top of the dresser sit two large shelves (possibly too large, and may only use one) that I'd like to put over the dresser.

And to be hung above the crib, once I can figure out how to make it cute (open to suggestions!!) is the large wall "B".

Ideally I'd like the "B" (and also the crib) to be on the opposite wall, to see when you enter the room. I'm concerned with the spacing though, and conversely being eye to eye with a large wall shelf, over the dresser, right when you walk through the door...

Lastly, the bookshelf can only sit in that upright position until the little guy starts moving because it could be pulled over :/ we originally had it on it's side but that was when it could be centered in front of the window. Now it would have to be off center...

I just need suggestions pulling this all together!! Please help!!!

Comments (10)

  • 12 years ago
    This is how the bookshelf looks on it's side, before the other furniture was in there...
  • 12 years ago
    I love this room! We have a small nursery, too. It worked well for our first so we kept it all the same for #2. I totally get what you're husband is saying about the chair. If he gives in to changing it, check into the Joya rocker - small but cute and comfy for night feedings/snuggles. I love ours. :-)
    We have a basket of books beside the rocker that works great because we don't have room for a book shelf. With nurseries (and preschoolers' rooms) minimal is best.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Samazi, Still trying to get things in place before your life gets taken over by a little one, I see!

    You made some great choices there. I love that you went a little outside the box with your colors.

    Your room looks to be about 11' wide, correct? So, I hope this will work - would the recliner fit in the corner to the right of the window? Then the upright shelf (with the orange bins) could sit right about where the crib and the B are right now.

    Here's the part I'm not sure about - what if the blue dresser went under the window? I'm guessing it is about 5' wide. And the recliner would take up about 3' on the one side, leaving (hopefully) 3' on the other side, for balance.

    The crib could then go where you'd like it. Assuming the shelves you want to mount are for display only, they could go above the crib, high enough that baby can't reach them. A,so, you could have the crib out from the wall a foot or so, just so that you and hubby don't bump your heads when lifting baby in and out of the crib.

    I'm guessing the bottom shelf could be about 5' up, and baby would never be able to reach it. As he gets bigger, you will be lowering the mattress anyway.

    I hope this can work - let me know what you think!
  • 12 years ago
    Also, for that letter B, what about stencilling or maybe decoupage?

    For the decoupage, you could use scrap booking paper with a few mix and match patterns, then alternate them as you go around the letter.
  • 12 years ago
    Here are some interesting ideas off Pinterest:
  • 12 years ago
    Good morning, Samazi! Well, before you go moving everything around, maybe try this: move the crib in front of the window, about 3' in front of it. Leave everything else where it is and see what you think. The B could stand alone on that wall until such time as the little cupboard could be turned horizontally.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, guess if should have added that the recliner would go to the left of the dresser - near the closet.
  • 12 years ago
    Karemore you are so sweet to that've so many ideas sorry for the delay, the hubby has been out if town and it was too hard for me to try and move the furniture alone :/ going to get to the bottom of things this weekend! The recliner wouldn't fit in front if the closet, to the left of the dresser, and I worry with the crib in front of the window we'll lose a lot of space in the room!
    Right now I'm hung up on what fabric to cover the large wall B in?! Any suggestions on that? Thinking a navy with large white polka dots...?!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Samazi, Well, it sounds like if you eliminate the shelves over the dresser, your original idea to have the dresser on the same wall as the door is the best one. This way, you will get that great focal point of the crib with the letter B over it as you come I to the room.

    Or, if you do just mount one shelf, maybe it won't look too in-your-face?

    Yes, I can see a polka dot working for the letter B - or anything with a more organic (wavy, circular, etc.) shape to offset the geometric patterns you have so far.

    The scale of the pattern should either be larger or smaller than your current chevron ones, to create interest. You could take that little blanket (that is folded over the crib) I to the fabric store and see what works with the colors in it.

    It will be a fun project, and possibly one of the last you will have time for, at least for a couple of years!