FIND PROFESSIONALS
centaurita

Please Help !! Need help finding good comfortable sheets!

centaurita
We are getting a new bed and a 14" King size mattress, and after all the headache of choosing a mattress, I am sick of looking for sheets! Need some recommendations! Willing to look at any price options.
What I want and Don't want:
1) No flannels or knits. No silk or satin.
2) Something that doesn't make me hot or itchy.
3) I don't want to iron them -,just pull out of dryer and put on bed.
4) Prints are great. (room is deep navy and silver grey with white trim)
5) I don't want them to wear through in 6 months, pill or get nubby.
6) Prefer smooth and crisp like grandmas sheets (without starching and ironing).
7) The bottom fitted sheet should be snug and not slip off the corners but not too big that it gets all loose.

I like the organic sheets that I got at Target, and my favorite sheets ever, were by Canon and were a mostly cotton blend with some polyester (but I've had no luck finding these for a long time). The Target ones don't seem to last very long and the top wide part wrinkles pretty bad, but they feel good and don't get nubby.

Please Houzzers, tell me where to look - I really want to sleep in my new bed when it gets here, but I need sheets.

Perfect Linens
    I hope you were able to find some great sheets for your bed. But in case you are looking again, we are launching Perfectlinens.com to address the challenge of finding smooth, comfortable, durable sheets. Follow us on Twitter @Perfectlinens to stay tuned for our launch.
    centaurita thanked Perfect Linens
  • csevene
    Centaurita .. Update please, did you find sheets and if so where and how do you like them .. thanks
    centaurita thanked csevene

need help finding a good washing machine

I bought a Kenmore washer and, about a year later, the matching dryer, at Sears 7-8 years ago, and they've served me very well. Each was about $600, as I remember. I read all the customer reviews on their website before purchasing. I'm no expert in the area of appliances, but I have zero complaints and I've never yet had to make a service call.

please help to find a floor color that will look good revere pewter b

You need to choose your paint last as trying to match a floor to a paint is almost impossible.

Need help finding the right coral sheets for bedroom

btw, she wants a light gray on the walls, a wood floor that has white and gray in it (kind of looks like old barn wood), and painted bookcases and dresser and desk in splashes of the same coral and minty blue that's on the above comforter. Looking for a runner rug by the bed with the same colors and curtains and accessories as well. In fact, I've spent hours looking for a coral pillow or two to throw on the bed for Christmas and finally gave up. Too many choices and not sure of the right color without seeing it in person :( Plus when you type in "coral pillow" you get hundreds of pillows with coral on them hahahaha! Feel free to offer advice! Thanks

Can't find a good nightstand need help!

When I think of boho I also think of travel, so my mind went to nightstands that look like travel trunks, such as these from wayfair. I also like throwing in a little bit of brown so your room is grounded and doesn't feel like you're floating in a cloud of blue and white.
  • centaurita
    Update:
    I purchased 2 sets of Brookstone Sleep Smart sheets and I they do seem to be cooler than other sheets. I've only had them long enough to wash 3 times and so far so good. No pilling yet and they feel nice on the skin. Only two complaints: One is they do not fit as tight as I would like, and two is that the top wide hem wrinkles worse than the Target ones. Anyway, I took the second set back, and I'm going to use the set I kept until I decide on something else. I got the Brookstone ones at Burlington for $60 so at that price I'm pretty happy with them. I just wish the elastic pulled tighter underneath. It does have it all the way around, so maybe it just has too much extra material. If my duvet cover were a bit softer I would just do away with the top sheet and wash the cover with the sheets, But I love the look of my cover (Ballard's Ticking stripe).
    To those who recommended Peacock Alley sheets from Tuesday Morning -- Thank YOU! I checked out the store and I love it. (I've already been there 3 times)
    Although I was afraid the sheets would be too big for my mattress, I did purchase a Peacock Alley blanket and it is perfect! The fit on my King size bed could not be better. Thanks everyone for your input :) and if anyone else has a suggestion please post it!
  • csevene
    sounds like progress .. If you find other good ones, let us know and I will post any good percale sheet findings as well ...
    centaurita thanked csevene
  • DIAspoton
    Have you tried Rough Linen? I'm saving my pennies for them. I've heard all good things about them. Natural linen. Small company. They look fabulous. Pricey. roughlinen.com.
    good luck.
    centaurita thanked DIAspoton
  • csevene
    Marlo,
    Can you tell us the material content of the Kirkland sheets, please? How much cotton/poly ...
    centaurita thanked csevene
  • csevene
    centaurita, what is the material content on the Brookstone sheets? are you still happy w/them...

Anyone know the material content of the ones from Tuesday morning ...
    centaurita thanked csevene
  • andi777
    Another one is bamboo sheet sets
    No ironing great fit soft and very very affordable
    Organic bamboo
    centaurita thanked andi777
  • centaurita
    csevene, The Brookstone sheets are 100% cotton; made in India. I still like them and after a few more washings they seem to fit more snugly. Still wish the elastic were tighter, and still wish the top hem didn't wrinkle so badly, but they are cool and comfortable. No pilling so far either.
    I can't remember what the exact content of the Peacock Alley sheets at Tuesday Morning, but most of their sheets seem to be either 100% Egyptian cotton or 100% Combed long staple cotton percale. The have one line that is 70% cotton/30% linen.
  • csevene
    centaurita..thanks for response, I need to purchase sheets soon. The ones I had mentioned from Macy's (I believe discontinued now) are nice, crisp and cool, however they too wrinkle a lot at the top, which is eyelet and very pretty .. or would be if it didn't wrinkle so much .. ironing sheets is NOT even a thought!!!
    Please continue to post any good finds.
    centaurita thanked csevene
    Perfect Linens
    We've launched! Perfectlinens.com has some of the best sheets available, and we'll help you identify which one is best for you. Check us out! www.perfectlinens.com
    centaurita thanked Perfect Linens
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Buy deep pockets at 16" also buy the highest thread count you can anything over 800 is very good. All Cotton is the best. If you want soft. But unless you take out of dryer right way they will winkle, but once on bed you won't notice. I would buy White sheets, colored or prints are tacky.
    centaurita thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Bed bath and beyond. Or any dept store sells sheets. Between the sheets is good, but very expensive.
  • centaurita
    Update on Brookstone sheets. Yesterday after I washed the sheets and put them on the bed I noticed that they are indeed starting to get nubby :(
    Still haven't decided which ones to try next. Might go ahead and splurge on the ones from Rough Linen mentioned by DIAspoton, above. They sound awesome. I learned how to make the bed with flat sheets when I was young from my step dad who was an army sergeant and it's not a big deal, Except... my mattress sits on closely spaced slats and is very very heavy. I will have to try making it with a flat sheet before I spend the money. I also wonder if these sheets are so large as to make them too big for a top sheet since I do not like my top sheet tucked and I don't want it hanging below the duvet.
    Still researching everyone's suggestions and I really appreciate all your help!
  • DIAspoton
    I think she'll work with you on the dimensions.Just send an email. Please be sure to post an update/review if you buy them. You can request free fabric samples online.
    centaurita thanked DIAspoton
  • csevene
    Going to a Tuesday morning and Kirkland tomorrow to look at sheets, wish me luck!

centaurita .. Thanks for update on Brookstone sheets, that is too bad.
    I believe we think alike .. I laughed when you said how the blanket fit.. don't like it tucked, didn't want it to hang too low etc ... My thoughts exactly!!!

Thanks everyone, all of your suggestions are appreciated and will be checked out!!!
    centaurita thanked csevene
  • centaurita
    Good Luck csevene! Please post back what you find and how they work out for you.
  • csevene
    no luck yet, glad I have my two sets..although they need to be replaced before long.
    I think you just have to hit it right at Tuesday morning to get the good stuff ..
    centaurita thanked csevene
  • marilynellis
    The higher the thread count, the softer the sheets. Higher threat count is more expensive.
    centaurita thanked marilynellis
  • rosalita0712
    Love Sheex brand! Know you don't want knit but these sheets are great. Keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. Like the wicking material of work out clothing. Fit the bed perfectly and are so soft and comfortable.
    centaurita thanked rosalita0712
  • BB Galore

Target has a brand called Theshold. Their sheets come in great patterns and solids. They're all cotton, no ironing, and even the darkest sheets can be bleached. Full price cost is $60. Also they have extra matching pillow cases sold separately. They are designed for today's thick mattresses. They have tags on all sides of fitted sheet to identify top/bottom from sides (on king sheets, not sure if it's needed on other sizes).

centaurita thanked BB Galore
  • cle3159

The Peacock Alley fitted sheets have elastic edging all the way around so you get a better fit regardless of depth of mattress.

• Moxiemom
    Higher thread count isn't always better. Cheaply made sheets can have a high count but short threads. They will then pill. A good cotton fiber is long and will stay crisp and neat. The best sheets are made from Egyptian, or Italian cotton. Google it. Huffington Post has a very good article on this subject. Good luck!
  • Diane Clayton

Comphy sheets by far. Slept on these at a hotel and asked about them. Never felt anything like them. And very deep. http://www.comphy.com/

• claudiatpepper

Tuesday morning has bamboo sheets. Since I found them there, i can't sleep on anything else.

• DIAspoton

I bought incredibly soft bamboo yoga pants. Seemed great at first. Pilled terribly and I tore them up for rags after a short time. Hope your bamboo sheets last longer.

• mbrennan69

One reason we don't carry bamboo at perfectlinens.com is excessive pilling. The nature of the fiber is inherently soft. "Second Skin" is soft but non-pilling; and "Easy Breezy" sheets are cool and absorbent. These are the usual reasons people choose bamboo.

• anniebird
    Someone else mentioned the Kirkland sheet sets at CostCo and I wanted to second that recommendation. I'm a sheet snob and these are my favorite sheets ever.
    Chimera Interior Design
    I just bought Macy's Charter Club Egyptian cotton sheets and love them! The king set was $200. A great purchase.
  • Diane Shanbrom

Finding the good ole percale sheets we used to buy in the 70's 80's and early 90's is a royal nightmare. I can't even begin to describe the search I've been on trying to find sheets comparable to the last set I have that are over 20 years old. I take them off the bed..wash and dry and right back on the bed. Finding sheets that are soft and cool when you slip into bed but aren't heavy and make you sweat all night is near to impossible. I just found sheets that are very close to my old set ....they only come in white but that's not at all important...white goes with everything. www.Bedding.com is the site. They are 300 ct polyester cotton percale. They also come in 200 ct...going to try the 200ct next time I buy sheets...which will be very soon. The best thing was the flat sheets are oversize....like the size they used to be. I can't stand the shorter sheets you get now....I always sew a 12" strip across the bottom so I have enough to tuck under the mattress and enough to fold over the top of the blanket when making the bed. The sheets are sold as separates. I got 2 king flats and 2 king fitted. The pillowcases come as a set of 4 in standard size and 2 when you get the king size. I purchased 2 flats and 2 fitted and 2 sets of standard size pillowcases...they cost me $106 and change, I just washed them and they came out as all percale do...a bit wrinkled but after folding they smoothed right out...I'm sure if I had pulled them out when they were hot they wouldn't have been so wrinkled. They aren't rough like most of the so called percale...no burlap feel at all!!! As all percale sheets the more they are washed they get softer and softer...like the percale of old. The company was fantastic to shop with....when I received the sheets they sent 4 king size pillowcases....not what I ordered. I called the company and after taking a picture of the pillowcases and the order and emailing it to them...they sent out the correct pillowcases and told me to keep the king. I will be buying more of these sheets from this site!!! I hope this helps those of you on the same search I've been on....if you find them elsewhere...PLEASE place a comment and let us know.

• asdfsdaf

Some of the best names out there, Frette (their higher line of stuff, not their low lines), and Thomas Lee sheets.

• merrymj

Confused about the bamboo Peacock Alley sheets at Tuesday Morning. They're not on the Peacock Alley website or anywhere else I've checked online. Only Tuesday Morning. Some bamboo sheets pill (2 sets I've owned have not) so I'm unwilling to put out the money without word from someone who's used them. I bought a set of Tencel sheets, which I have read also can pill. Like bamboo, they're antimicrobial and wick moisture out into the air. TM's Tencel sheets, though, are a 55-45 mix with polyester which rather negates the ecological benefits. We'll see.

• pschr

I second the Thomas Lee sheets as some of the best. I am curious about the Perfect Linens sheets. Has anyone tried them? I have bought sheets from Tuesday Morning and the they shrunk horribly and they said fitted for a 21 inch mattress which they were not!

• G. D.

I have tried both the Thomas Lee and Perfect Linens brands and found them to be almost identical! I can't tell a difference in the quality but Perfect Linens has slightly lower prices. I'm sleeping on the Perfect Linens' "Easy Breezy" sheets now and I'm completely in love.

• centaurita
    G D, I am going to go look for those perfect linens right now. Thank you and everyone else for all of the great input. I resorted back to the Target organic sheets and I'm ready to take another chance now on so.ething else.
  • cheribob
    I own 1 set of Frette sheets. I hope to purchase a second set someday. I love them. The more I use them & wash them the softer they become.
  • SandyC.
    Love Sfarra sheets. You really do get what you pay for in bedding. They're an investment, but will last for years.
  • G. D.

I looked at Sfarra but was turned off because I couldn't find their return policy anywhere. Perfect Linens accepts returns on WASHED and USED sheets! So I got to try them out before committing. :)

• merrymj

Thank you, G. D. for mentioning the great return policy. I checked out Perfect Linens, and the prices are in line with most places I looked. They sound like what I might be looking for.

• SandyC.
    I buy my Safarra sheets at a nice linen store in town. I'm sure I could return them, but have never had the need to. They wash beautifully.
  • WE HeadyArt
    We bit the bullet and bought our bed linens from rough linen. The bottom sheet is a very large flat sheet that tucks under the mattress and holds very well once you learn how. Natural linen is wonderful, washes beautifully and we put them in the dryer. At the very least go on the website before spending any more money on sub par linens.
  • linlac
    Tuesday Morning has a great deal on Sferra sheets this month.
    Caravelle Home

Impossible to have 1500 thread count using cotton. I will give anyone $1,000 if you can prove me wrong. The yarns would need to be so gossamer (to fit 1500 of them into a square inch) that they would break during weaving. Your sheets are either microfiber (polyester) or less than 1500tc. Again, I'll bet $1,000 if you can prove me wrong. $5000 even -- I'm that confident!!!

What's more important is how sheets FEEL. And on that score, Perfectlinens.com is the only website that tells you how sheets feel after they're used multiple times. Isn't FEEL what's most important?

• Tara Kesner

I know this is an older thread - but after concluding that I wanted a set of Frette sheets, I stumbled across Ritz-Carlton's 300 thread count Frette set. On sale for 20% off for Black Friday, I snagged a set as they were lower priced than even the sale sets at Frette's website. Reviews are good.

I'm curious if anyone knows if these sheets are comparable in quality to buying directly, or are they a lower quality product?

"Made by Frette; 100% Egyptian combed cotton sateen; 300 thread count; Machine washable."

I presume for the price they must be lower quality, but I am wondering what was sacrificed.

• Tara Kesner

Well the Ritz Carlton sheets arrived today. Decent hand feel. Label says Made In India. Guess we will see after a few washes how they hold up.

• echolane

Sateen sheets are lower quality than Percale.. Instead of being woven over and under every other thread, they are woven under every 4-5 threads. This makes them smooth, but drastically impairs durability.

i am not sure it is possible to find sheets like grandmother used to buy. I still have a sheet from the 50s, a cotton percale. It weighs a ton. They wore forever. That's because they used heavier cotton threads. Now we are bring victimized by high thread count nonsense. To get high thread counts, you have to use very slender threads.thr higher the thread count, the skinnier the thread. No matter how many you cram into an inch, they are not going to be durable. Besides that, there are no more big textile mills in America, and quality everywhere has gone downhill since, I think it might be impossible to find this quality anymore. Same with socks. I used to buy some totally wonderful ankle socks from Lands End. They wore like iron and had a wonderful feel to them. Socks of this quality simply don't exist anymore for the same reason - Not Made in America.

My sister has turned me on to vintage sheets made in France in the 50s that are of old fashioned quality. Google Metis sheets.

i now have linen sheets from Rough Linen. Have been very happy with them. They are pricey. I don't know if their durability will be sufficient to justify the price; mine are not much over 18 months old, so time will tell. But for those who value a soft smooth hand you won't find it with these Linen sheets. They are a little rough.when they come off the line, but like other line dried items, they soften drastically after one night's sleep. Speaking of old fashioned things, try sleeping on sun dried sheets. The aroma is so incredibly fresh and wonderful. Very addicting.

• Tara Kesner

I'm reporting back that the "Frette" sheets bought from the Ritz Carlton store are absolute garbage. They felt great until they started pilling! I've never had something like this happen. I guess I will stick to Pottery Barn and Bed Bath and Beyond Ultimate Percale as my first experience buying more expensive sheets was an absolute disaster.

• claire_keyes14

Best I've found in the past year are Brooklinen, yes, made in Brooklyn which I found in Wall Street Journal article. Also Pottery Barn has an all cotton sheet, when on sale, priced ok. They feel good, wear well.

• jessicamjones

No contest! The bamboo rayon sheets from Peacock Alley wIn! Finding a set in the right color at Tuesday Morning is a coup de Gras! The TM brand, Home Environment bamboo sheets, are second, but once you sleep naked in the PA ones, you will crave them. They do require immediate folding or making the bed right out of the dryer because they have a tendency to reflect how they are managed, but you will never begrudge a penny you spend on these sheets.