Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexandrahellq

Electricians - track lighting or box-beams for a concrete ceiling??

alexandrahellq
9 years ago
Hi Houzzers!

I recently moved into a 1-bedroom with brick or plaster walls and a concrete ceiling - Which is lovely, except for the fact that neither the living room nor the bedroom have any ceiling lighting! Table and floor lamps are great and all, but I'd love to create some ambient light in both rooms.

Since I have modern furniture (white, chrome, lacquer), and have a fear of exposed wire, I've been weighing either installing wall-to-wall cable lighting, or installing box-beams and "recessed" lighting, a la genius Randall Whitehead's suggestions here ( http://www.residentiallighting.com/how-deal-concrete-ceilings). But I'm having trouble choosing between the two. Which is where you guys come in! :)

So artists, artisans, electricians and other Houzz denizens - help! What should I do? Considerations: Ceilings are 8', which might be too low to pull off the modern-coffered look. Price is always a concern - I've had trouble getting straight answers from contractors on the relative difficulty and pricing. I'd also *love* to get something that'd work with Philips Hue bulbs (which rules out many track/cable systems, maybe?). And I'm wondering if I could maybe tear out the chandelier in the "dining" area, and extend wiring/track from that for the rest of the living room, instead of visibly snaking a different wire up the entrance (brick) wall... Do any electrical/design geniuses out there have any thoughts at all about any of this? I'd be in your debt!

Thanks, have wonderful weekends, and happy Houzzing!

Yours,
A

Comment (1)