Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmichrunge

Mega problem!

12 years ago
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a large space. The blank canvas shown is 36x48. I haven't been able to find anything for yrs so thinking of painting it myself. I hate the brown leather furniture and plan to replace sometime in the future. It went through 5 kids. I am also aware that rug is too small but can't afford right now. I love contrast with pops of color. Wall color is SW Mega Griege. Please help. I'm very frustrated! I've included the opposite side of the room which is the staircase. I have also experimented with that and am having a hard time with it. I want to keep the eye in the living room. Anything I put there seems to complete. Thank you!

Comments (59)

  • 12 years ago
    I'm in agreement with using the big lonely mirror over the FP. Next big improvement would be replacing the curtains with some that hang all the way up above the upper windows too. You might just find another set like the current ones and attach extra length to the bottoms, hiding the seam with some guimp or trim. I'm not a fan of clocks as decor, so I'd replace the clock with the round starburst that is above the light table. If you want to leave the big mirror on that wall it needs a larger piece of furniture under it, like the sofa.
  • 12 years ago
    How about a family portrait?
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, it just about killed me but I took the mirror off the wall and put on the mantle. It is very heavy so I cannot hang it without husband help. But at least you can get the idea. Won't it be a bit small? Would you really put the curtains all the way up? That would be 9'8". What about the wood blinds? Wouldn't that cut the window off visually? I made them so I would have to see if I can still find the same fabric.
  • 12 years ago
    This is the front door. Don't have room for stool and I think I need the color in the living room because it is so overwhelmingly brown and dull.
  • 12 years ago
    I think it is perfect! I prefer anything above the mantel stay within the footprint of the firebox and this just does. Hang it 5" above the mantel and look for two or three candlesticks for the other side. Fab that you made the curtains! If you can't match the fabric, use it on pillows, placemats, dining chair seats and get new fabric for the longer curtains. The window is being cut more now than it will with longer curtains. The length will keep the eye moving up and will be beautiful. I would line them so they don't give that "see-through" effect when hanging over the sunny windows. Extend the rods further if you can so the curtains barely cover the window frams and are just an inch from the mantel. When budget allows, consider installing fiber shades instead of blinds to add more texture to the space. If you get any sun fade on the furniture from the upper windows, you might do the same there.
  • 12 years ago
    All excellent comments and you've done a good job. One tiny thing: turn the red horse so he's not running off the end of the mantel.
  • 12 years ago
    The horse is now running toward the mirror!:) I will have to look for more fabric for curtains! Thanks so much for all your generous suggestions! Sometimes I just hit the wall and can't solve my own problems. Been looking at it too much!
  • 12 years ago
    I took down clock and moved the starburst mirror. Clock is out of room. Thanks-good suggestion. I'll put it back in laundry room where it was.
  • 12 years ago
    On fireplace go tall over 5ft and should be 1/2 as wide as mantel. On end only place 3 pots in a group of various size. Go contemporary in art. With bold colors. Over table you show, there is to much going on. A shorter big base lamp. With a black shade. Over table 7" from top a big 36"- 45" sunburst mirror. TJMax has nice ones. Keep only 3 items on top of table group together on one end. No fake flowers. On staircase wall try a 6 ft tall floor mirror Ikea has with wide dark frame, not expensive. Keep things simple, uncluttered. Center mirror on that wall just lean in wall.
  • 12 years ago
    How big is mirror behind sofa? May work over your table. After looking at sofa wall get two floor mirrors and center with 4-5" between. Get rid of bookcase on end not needed. Looks out of place.
  • 12 years ago
    I was confused with staircase and sofa back wall. on staircase. Place a longer bench in a fabric bold color. Nothing on wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Just saw pic of bookcase by stairs. Very good.
  • 12 years ago
    Like bookcase with the clock better.
  • 12 years ago
    I actually like the clock better too.
  • 12 years ago
    I did not re-stage the glass cabinet yet. I broke the tree that was on it so it is being glued. Photo is just for the addition of the mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    Just signed in and see everything is coming together. I think the mirror will be fine over the fireplace - actually seems like the perfect size. Then as stated above, put a grouping of 3 items on the right hand side of the mantel.

    I agree, curtains need to go higher.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the end table that has a white lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    Just noticed the front door cabinet needs a little dressing up - do you have anything for fall, then Halloween - then Christmas accessories.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm happy with the clock gone; they just aren't decor items in my book, although the big box stores push them really hard. Kitchen and laundry or mudroom, where people need to keep track of time, are good places for them.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok here is what I have so far. I simplified the console table with lamp. Took off flowers. The mirror for fireplace still has to be hung. It is 41" in diameter. I am still confused about the 3 walls behind sofa- walls E, A & B. (side walls behind sofa and stair wall). I pulled a yellow bench from my music room which I have had on stair wall before (shown in pic). Should I use? Need to balance these seemingly useless and awkward walls. Which pieces should I ditch/use? Thanks for sticking with me:)
  • 12 years ago
    Btw.. On fireplace wall it's 5ft from top of mantle to top of window casing. (If that helps)
  • 12 years ago
    Coming together well. I like the mirror above the bookcase. You should style the shelves with 1/3 books, 1/3 larger decor items and 1/3 open space You have the option to move the dark chairs from flanking the FP to sitting opposite the sofa. Then you can place your yellow bench in front of the FP, This will work in summer but might be a fire hazard when you use the FP, so in winter it would need to move i elsewhere. A pair of them would look great under the windows, flanking the FP. Try it there and lets see if it is too large.
  • 12 years ago
    This is the current arrangement of furniture with the fireplace
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sorry, I was disoriented. Meant to place the two chairs opposite the light chair so the "U" opens to the FP instead of the wall. That leaves the FP and windows open for possible location of the yellow bench at the FP or a pair of them under the windows.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok I will try!
  • 12 years ago
    Didn't work. Because I moved the sofa from along the wall to facing the wall if I put the chairs back to where they were there isn't enough room. The backs would also face the kitchen and block the grouping off. I did put the book shelf back where it was (to balance the opposite wall, then is put the yellow bench along the stair wall. ???? It's difficult to show all three walls in one photo. Walls E and A are opposite each other. The fireplace and stair walls are opposite each other.
  • 12 years ago
    We haven't really seen the kitchen or know where it is. Is it opposite the stairs left of the console table? I was expecting the chairs to sit perpendicular to the starburst on the stairwell with their backs to the wall where the console table is. I liked the bookcase on the stairwell wall much better than the low bench, which needs to join the conversational grouping. I'd put the bookcase back at the stairwell. Move the two dark chairs either left or right of the sofa, sitting squared up with the little wood table and white lamp between them. On the opposite side, just out from the window, angle the light chair and put the round metal table with it. Move the bench to the other window, or place it in front of the FP. With a larger rug, you can pull the seating back a bit farther from the FP to make room for the bench. On the right wall, put the console table arrangement, centered to align with and become part of the conversation grouping. Use your art to start an art and photo gallery wall around the console.
    blue wall with photos · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Concerned that if I move the chairs by kitchen opening it will close off seating. I will move them to opposite side and try that. Other option is just to can the yellow bench and leave stair wall empty but leave the starburst mirror. The kitchen is accessible on either side of the console table. See pict
  • 12 years ago
    Doesn't work. The 2brown chairs side by side are too long for rug and just look odd. Angling one of them looks odd too. There is also too much dark with table in between. I think the bench looks odd too.
  • 12 years ago
    I think having the brown chairs opposite the sofa helps balance the brown sofa. Having them next to each other is unsettling.
  • 12 years ago
    I've read through the whole thread and I think you need to take a break, sit down, and look at how beautiful your room really is.

    Now, I think the only things that really need to be addressed are the curtains--they will look like they belong if you hang them from the top--and the mantel, which is already halfway there. The hardest part will be deciding how high to hang the mirror since I know you don't want to hang it more than once. (I suggest making a paper template and playing with it over the mantel a bit before you actually hang.)

    Your pops of color in the red horse and flowers and the yellow throw are perfect in this space. They are just enough to relieve the brown.

    If you really want a showstopper room, two very large pieces of modern art behind the single chair will do it. I can't imagine you can't find anything you like (I generally have trouble finding things I DON'T like, LOL); I suspect price may be the sticking point.

    I've done two renderings with abstract art on the wall behind the chair. I just want you to consider if this adds what you want. To do this would be somewhere between $400 - $500. You may decide it's the one thing you really need.
  • 12 years ago
    You have a beautiful space!

    I've just browsed the comments briefly but I would make the area by the kitchen a family photo area - even the white ikea frames would look amazing with that wall color.

    I also think the small bookcase could use some books/magazines/photos.

    Where did you get the console by the kitchen? I've been looking for something just like it!
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle: I love your renderings! Extending the curtains really does make a huge difference. I will have to do that!

    Where did you find those art pieces? They are perfect too. Yes, you are right $ is a factor. Large wall art is expensive and I'm putting 2 kids thru college. Thanks so much -you really showed how the room can go to the next level. It gives me a sense of hope and cheer through my surroundings -that in my current process of grief, I can be in something brighter and cheerier.
  • 12 years ago
    Keado- I found the console at TJ Maxx/Home Goods, my favorite store. Thanks for the bookcase suggestion! I did add some books and plan to add pics as well. Still working on putting that together.
  • 12 years ago
    Ah, kids in college is never an inexpensive undertaking. And with five of 'em...well, I hope these are the last two or you may be too old to see it by the time you get that art.

    I found the art at gallerydirect.com. To have the right impact it needs to be large, and the two square ones at 48 x 48 are around $250 each. So start a kitty, and watch for the sales. There's almost always a sale going on.

    Your room is already beautiful and you should enjoy it as it is. Dream of big art and someday, when the kids are successful in their careers, maybe they will buy it for you. (Never too early to start dropping hints.)
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should create your own artwork- its sooooooo easy. Choose 3 colors with black and white. With a spatula spread acrylic paint mixed with an impasto medium to create textures and direction. You can easily create an abstract design by keeping it simple. Go on to youtube where there are so many tutorials on how to create an abstract painting.
    Its so much fun and cheaper than buying an artwork.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I Love what you and everyone have done here! It's amazeballs! I only would kind of like to see your chairs and sofa pulled out a bit more (to fill in the room a bit more)... And, to see the leather ottoman in front of the right leather chair... (I know, it's a little "off center" -just a thought to play with tho... It's Truly a Beautiful room!
  • 12 years ago
    I had your same problem. Go for the painting!! I bought a michaels canvas and painted my own landscape. The great thing about acrylics is that if you hate it, paint over it! You can do it! Attached is my painting. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Meredith-that's a great landscape!

    asquithoatly-I did buy a canvas @HobbyLobby. I'm almost finished. Unfortunately it was supposed to be cheerful and epic but this is what I came up with! Oh dear I'll have to try again!

    Groveraxle-thanks for the source. Yes, I think I will save!

    Jen-I did put the leather ottoman in front of chair! You are right - I would like to pull things out but my stupid rug is too small and would look like a baby loner rug!

    Thanks guys for your help, patience and encouragement!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love your creativity! Yes, I understand, I thought the rug might be a little too small... But I hope you know you are doing a wonderful job with everything you have and the way you're working with it!! It looks beautiful!!!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Appreciate you trying all these ideas. Now that we can see the dining room and that large art piece, we have a better sense of your space. My final comment is that your small rug is forcing a small footprint for the furniture and leaving a lot of unused floor space. Once you're able to increase the rug size and make use of more square footage, things won't seem so much on top of each other at the seating group. I"m still not a fan of the two blocky chairs hiding your fireplace and windows. If they were armless slipper chairs, they might work there for me, but they are what you have to work with... Like your girl - have you tried her in the dining room?
  • 12 years ago
    I love your moody portrait but not perhaps in that room! That would look good in my teenage daughters room! How about some simple still lifes or a photo of one of your favorite spots in the garden?
  • 12 years ago
    I'm going to work on "the girl" a bit and make her less moody. .but I think she'll still have too much mood for this room. My dining-room is currently being used as a music room. We have piano, two cellos and two violins in there. So there won't be any eating going on any time soon!

    My current goals are to re-make curtains to go all the way up, (Ugh-more sewing), increase size of rug, and purchase the two large paintings. New furniture in future. I could use the old furniture for a man-cave den or something!

    Have a great day all!
  • 12 years ago
    Just wanted to pop in and say congrats on all your work. your room is looking so nice.
    Take care.
  • 12 years ago
    Sounds like you have a plan!
  • 12 years ago
    Plan is there. Thanks all!:)
  • 12 years ago
    Do you mind if I ask where you got your rug? My cousin has seen this is many design photos and loves it and can't find it. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    ...Ugh, I Know about the sewing... but just a thought because I had these same type windows once... To bring the scale of the windows down a bit, I would suggest adding a simple (box-pleat valance) using the same fabric you've chosen for your drapes... Just buy another panel (or a bit more fabric) and cover 2 -2x4's (cut them down to the width of your window -just add a few inches on either side, and staple-gun the fabric to the 2x4's. Then make a simple valance -bringing the fabric down about 3/4's the length of the very upper window and hem them... It adds a finished look... Just another thought for inspiration:) and, seriously, it's not that hard to do. If I can do it, You can do it. And, of course, this is just an idea that may or may not be of interest to you....:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Jen. It's a good suggestion but I'm just not a fan of valances. I appreciate all comments.

    The rug I happened upon at TJ Maxx. So unfortunately that doesn't help:(
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I understand, it was just a thought... Btw., now that you've mentioned your rug -(and I've looked at your pictures) - Why don't you pull the rug out a bit more from your sofa.? -In other words, pull your sofa back... I really like your rug, and think it would be fine if you pulled away from your sofa a bit more... Then, the leather chairs could also be pulled out a bit more (to not "block" your windows) ...and place the ottoman in front of the right chair w/a throw.... And then place the large wheat-colored chair where the ottoman is now...