Software
Houzz Logo Print
pearriverparents

HELP WITH PENDANT LIGHTING PLEASE

12 years ago
Hello - Our kitchen is almost done. A few more wall cabinets to hang and that's it. Our dilemma now is pendant lighting above our island. We are not sure what to. A friend who is helping us design has suggested the below....but we are unsure. This is the LAST decision we have to make so I thought I would post here for some guidance and input. Our walls are boothbay gray and as you can see our cabinets are white. The island which is almost finished is SLATE GRAY. Should we just go ahead with these lights? I think they are okay, but there are just sooo many options....want to make sure we are making good decision.

Comments (37)

  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! I think you can do better with the light choice though (sounds like you know that). This is a great opportunity to do something that excites you (even if it's simple). Do you have any other lighting in your home you love to get an idea of what you like? This is a personal favorite of mine - it's expensive but there are similar versions out there.
    http://houzz.com/photos/316615
  • 12 years ago
    Try also searching for Jamie young pedants - nice choices and more reasonable prices.
    http://houzz.com/photos/98256
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi---if the area behind your range is going to be a focal point then the lights are fine. If not, then I suggest something a little more ornate. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=][houzz=
    Progress Lighting P3754-09 Seeded Glass 6 Light Pendant Light In Brushed Nickel · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Monrovia Pendant · More Info
    ][houzz=
    iMax Cadel Etched Glass Pendant Light · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful Kitchen. SeaGull Highlands mini pendant or many more choices.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI -- Beautiful new kitchen ! It is not an absolute to have or need hanging fixtures . I don't really like light fixtures and pot racks and things hang from the ceiling . I love the clean clear look without the pendants . If you cannot decide what to choose then just have the connections there and keep looking for ones you like . Look a the pendants at Restoration Hardware , they have some real nice ones . Or if you want ones that no others would have , get some made by a glass blower artist . Maybe an oval or long single chandelier would work , it doesn't always have to be two or three drop pendants .
  • 12 years ago
    How big is your island? Do you have any seating planned, and if so, where? I think I need a better sense of the finished look you're going for. Do you have a rendering of the finished kitchen you could share?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Snabblette - Our island is 4 X 6. The pic I posted is the back of the island and there will be three seats there facing the stove (which of course it not there yet as you can see) The pic below is a rendering. Keep in mind our island will not be bead board like below.....and also as you can see we have hard wood floors, and white cabinets......Not sure what to do about lighting and your suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!!!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm assuming the wiring is already done for the pendants? If so, how many did you plan for, 2 or 3?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes. Wiring is already there. We are supposed to get three pendants.
  • 12 years ago
    Okay, so the smaller pendants are going to work best. I know what smaller pendants I like, but I have no idea if our tastes are similar :). I think someone already rec'd plating the outlets so you could take your time and add them later, but I also imagine it's hard to have "unfinished" items at move-in. I'm on my mobile device and can't cut and paste easily, but I'll link to a few I like in a bit.
  • 12 years ago
    I know how hard it is to pick out the pendant lights. If was also the last part of our kitchen remodel and I went quickly for some just to finish. Probably should have done more research.

    Here are a few that I think would look nice in your (beautiful) space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Obviously everyone has different tastes but I think this kitchen would look beautiful with an interesting larger scale set of pendant lights. The one your designer chose was nice but very "safe". Depending on your personality lighting offers you a chance to really interject some personality into the space without too much commitment. In time if you want something else you can swap it out and it won't break the bank.
  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful! The light your designer suggested is okay, but won't add anything to the space. I think 2 bigger chrome pendants would be fabulous. The first one is from Pottery Barn. Second is from shadesoflights.com.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It appears as if you have plenty of lighting with the recessed lights. That being the case, I would opt for something that will add to the spacer rather than just blend in. Perhaps some mini benson-style pendants which will provide task lighting or lantern style.
    Restoration 8" Mini-Pendant · More Info

    Yorkville Pendant Lantern · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Don't go with the standard fixtures. Do something really creative. Look at Lumens.com. I found gorgeous hand painted silk drums that are a real statement. Not too expensive.
  • 12 years ago
    Nice kitchen, I'll leave light suggestions to the other houzzers. lol : )
  • 12 years ago
    The pendant your designer chose is too plain. It makes no statement. I love the lighting from Circa Lighting. They are a bit pricey but they have a great selection of very unique lighting. I would even choose a different metal finish. What type of finish did you select for your hardware....faucet, knobs, drawer pull? Mixing finishes would give your kitchen a nice look.
  • 12 years ago
    One more thing.....before deciding on lighting finishes, I would make sure you have decided on what metal finishes you are going to use. Are you purchasing stainless steel appliances?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think these ideas would work well in your kitchen.
    Lake Elmo Cape Cod · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Cape Porpoise Residence · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    [houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with nadinemelind, you have the opportunity to make a great statement here. You will find your island will be the center of activity and conversation (literally) so why not make a fun statement there. You have the opportunity to introduce some color and interest without being too austere.

    I think a linear type fixture with glass would suit but it is personal taste. The web is a great place for searching but I recommend you visit a showroom in your area to really appreciate the piece. Context imagery is great but unless it matches your kitchen style / color scheme, it may be difficult to imagine the fixture in your kitchen. I have in mind a glass wave type fixture with LED lighting but I have not found it in my search. Here are some images to consider, however. Also, don't worry about the amount of wires you have, they can be capped safely in a box and available if you wish to change out your fixtures in the future.

    While it is ok to stay "safe", why not have some fun to celebrate your new gathering space....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    just a couple more....best of luck!!
  • 12 years ago
    I really like what you have suggested - but I noticed there are THREE separate spots above that calls for a single pendant in each spot. I really like these more though.....Is that a big switch?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    not really....as I say, the electrician should be able to make the two remaining wires "safe" in place inside a workbox that will be above the fixture plate....may need coordination with the size of the mounting plate. You may also find a fixture that requires more than one feed that will allow you to zone your light, i.e. center fixture on while other lamps are off, etc....this may offer more lighting control for you but not knowing the actual situation, it is difficult to remote diagnose....your electrician should be able to guide you best.....where is the project?
  • 12 years ago
    also, you didn't say anything about the finish of your hardware, but that might be something to coordinate with -- black with oiled bronze, nickel or chrome with a similar finish, unless you really decide to use the pendants for contrast/punch, in which case they don't need to match. I sort of like the darker hardware in your space, but many of these would be wonderful -- the silver and glass Pottery Barn light also seems like it would be nice...
  • 12 years ago
    We are using stainless steel appliances and brushed nickel hardware. Also, behind (actually where I was standing when i took the pic) is seating for 5 and it will be a nice wooden transitional modern table. Not sure about chairs yet.
  • 12 years ago
    We had a hard time as well, and my best advice is to keep looking until you find what "feels" right. You may not see them until everything else is done. I wouldn't trade ours now that we made the decision and they really add a lot to the room. We used two, but three should work also for your island. We went with chrome/white shades, with no other white in the kitchen but it works.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well I'm going to go in a different direction and say that I like them. Your cabinets look like a shaker style which is a cleaner design. Plus with the stainless appliances and brushed nickel hardware it would tie things together and not introduce another color/metal into the equation.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We offer many options in LED which can give you efficient, color correct, dimmable lighting which is very energy efficient. Stop by and take a look. Cheers
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! Thought we'd join the discussion and share some of our most popular pendant collections that might fit the space. You can view these all at ProgressLighting.com (product numbers are P5163_09, P5184_09, P5159_09, P5105_104) Good luck!

    More at http://progresslighting.com/products.aspx?Category=93.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with intown...great choice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi, Pearriverparents!

    It looks like you have a lot of fantastic options already, but we would feel remiss if we didn't also point you to our collection of vintage, American-made pendant lights!

    We have a lot of fabulously fun styles to choose from, but the best thing about our lighting is that we do custom-made lights!

    Take a look: https://www.barnlightoriginals.com/ceiling-lights/vintage-lights
  • 11 years ago
    Cool, beautiful kitchen. I also love the fact that you have windows on either side of the stove. Looks nice, glad your happy. Good luck! :)
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert