Software
Houzz Logo Print
erica_schaub

Is this "art" ok for a Bathroom wall for selling a house?

12 years ago
I have a picture I'm thinking of hanging in my bathroom, as I'm redoing it with selling in March in mind. Is this picture too "Risque" for a house on the market? I can return it if it wont work.

Comments (20)

  • 12 years ago
    well, depends on one's taste and style, to go with something neutral, take canvas of flowers - never goes wrong and brings great atmosphere into your room -
    Pink Flower Canvas Wall Art · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I like the floating shelves idea - and my mom just happened to lend me her set of "3 ofset shelves" I can put there. I can stage some cute bath/spa products on them, and my hubby can use them in the meantime.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, take it back! It's the wrong size and shape for one thing. A pair of prints or a shallow shelf unit will fit the space better. I believe ANY art work should join the family only if you love it…and I can guarantee that a realtor will ask you to take this one down before showing your house.
  • 12 years ago
    I would put a vase on the right side of the sink counter with a single long flower or branch with flowers. The branch should turn toward the empty wall and bring focus to your bathroom, not to the art. An orchid plant with one very long stem of blossoms would work perfectly, and orchids don't need much sun and love the moist bathroom and blooms last for months
  • 12 years ago
    It's not the art, I would spend the few bucks on adding a frame to the mirror & getting updated pendant lights.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, Frame the mirror. We just did that and I will post a sideways picture in a minute. (before & after)
    There is nothing risque about the art, it is just a boring mass produced piece. Why not support your local artists or look at Karen's Affordable Art?
    The art should not be higher than the mirror and for goodness sake, don't stock the shelves with "cute" spa products you will have to dust and will get used so they will be 1/2 full.....not attractive.
    Stick to a few interesting, even if they are flea market finds, in a great accent color.
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think it is too risque. Prospective homeowners are looking at the bones of the house not your personal decorations. I do agree it is too tall for the space, though.
  • 12 years ago
    I already have new light fixtures my husband is putting in this weekend, those definitely have to go. My friend mentioned framing the mirror yesterday too, and I don't even know how to go about doing it. Good thing google exists, because I agree it needs to be done. It just has that giant 80's mirror blah feel.
  • 12 years ago
    @Karen because this was a $20 piece of framed art, and my budget it very limited. Our local art market is strong here, but I just don't have $50 for even a print(that's the cheapest I could find 'something' and not even something I love) and then to frame it for this bathroom, so I'm using places like kirklands where I can!
  • 12 years ago
    Check out mirrormate.com
  • 12 years ago
    I'm sorry, Erica. I didn't see your comment about budget. Mirror Mate is probably too expensive. I took down our plain builder grade mirror and replaced it with two great looking mirrors I found on sale at Kirklands. You could probably find something that would work, combine with coupon and have a fabulous looking bath for little money.
  • 12 years ago
    IT's hard because the budget is tight. We need to repair siding, repaint outside and remodel the kitchen - we are doing it all ourselves (thank god my husband is handy), so I'm limiting myself to painting the rest of the inside, fixing the 70's lightfixtures we have left, and a few minor touches. I want one of those frames though! Those look awesome!
  • 12 years ago
    Spend the $20 on new towels instead. The picture adds nothing.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would spend the money on window coverings.The levolors and big stick hanging down aren't a good look. The big crank can be replaced with a smaller handle. the handle below is $4.75.

    Below is a great way to transform old mini-blinds into Roma shades on the cheap. No sewing required.

  • 12 years ago
    Forgot to attach the handle...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't know much about staging but if I was a buyer I would have no problem with art work there. It would just give them more ideas on how to customize the house to their specifications in my opinion. But now a days people are often easier to offend! hah
  • 12 years ago
    Erica, are you near to a Home Goods store TJ Maxx. Lots of framed mirrors all different sizes for a great price. With a new mirror and an orchid you may not need anything in that space.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for all the lovely responses and ideas. I'm in a busy metro area suburb, so I have access to Homegoods, Kirklands, and lots of reuse places. I'm skiddish about getting a new mirror, but definitely open to it. The only problem I have is that the bathroom is a 2 sink bathroom and the 54 inch wide mirror covers the whole countertop and is for both sinks. If I do one smaller, framed mirror, it won't look right with the sinks. Im wondering if two maybe oval mirrors would look right with the sinks. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm having a hard time visualizing the right mirror change.
  • 12 years ago
    Erica, you're worrying too much! Get the bathroom squeaky clean, re-paint if necessary, then when you interview your realtor, ASK HIM/HER TO BE HONEST AND TELL YOU THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE MOST SENSE TO IMPROVE RE-SALE ON YOUR LIMITED BUDGET. Sometimes the realtor has a "loan closet" of odds and ends to use if necessary for a better "stage." I've read through all this well-meaning advice (I've sold 9 houses in the last 35 years) and I'd be ready to jump off the roof! Relax...enjoy the holidays...de-clutter and clean, clean, clean! It'll work out from there.