Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massbrit14

Please please HELP with living room layout/design

Brittany
9 years ago
We are thinking of using navy slip covers for couch and chair. We plan to paint the coffee table and pedastal table white. The other end table needs to go- very old and wobbly. Should we flip the chair to the other side of the couch? Maybe out a buffet type piece in the window? Please help! We are newlyweds in our late twenties....casual coastal style....love blues,greens,teals.

Comments (52)

• marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Great ideas. Excellent taste. Make sure slip covers are washable. Yes, lower the pix over couch. Otherwise, really like your choices. Congratulations and wishing you a lifetime of happiness together.
    Brittany thanked marilynellis
  • kilokat
    9 years ago
    If someone can tell me where to buy slip covers that work I would appreciate it. I have tried this twice and it was a waste of money, Your room looks really nice and with the few suggestions it will look even better,
    Brittany thanked kilokat
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    I bought mine at Target and it was fine for me, in beige with tiny checks, transitional.... not expensive....
    Brittany thanked everdebz
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How low do you think the pictures should be over the couch? I was originally thinking about doing a white slipcover but my husband thinks it would be better to do something darker (we have a small dog). We tried navy slipcovers from Target and they were huge. We returned them. My mother in law has offered to help me make a slipcover for both the couch and chair. I found some fabric at Joann's in a "sailor blue" - not quite as dark as the navy. We are also thinking about selling the dining set. It's way to big for the space. We would love to do a round table and maybe a white Buffett. Thoughts??
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    photo and/or measurements...
  • PRO
    Paula Madrid Interiors
    9 years ago
    I have a few thoughts for you. The coffee table is a bit to high for the couch.. maybe shave off a couple of inches… I like the color because it adds to the design if you are planning to buy different slip covers for the sofa but I would suggest that you do not buy navy..perhaps a lighter color that matches your rug and the rest of the decor. White is always a good idea. you may..however, paint the frames above the couch a darker color (or leave them as is) but it would be important design-wise to lower them and put them a bit closer together. If you had a third picture, it would really help the look as well. Since you are getting rid of the brown table, perhaps consider moving the green pedestal one next to the chair. Congratulations!
    Brittany thanked Paula Madrid Interiors
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Everdebz - are you asking for photos/measurements of the dining space?
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hadn't thought about the coffee table being too high but, now that you mention it, it does seem high in the picture. I'm unsure if we have enough space to add a third picture but I will measure that out and see. I definitely like the green pedastal table on the other side and think we will move it there once we get a replacement for the old brown one.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a picture of the dining space. From the wall to the living room rug is 10 feet 8 inches. And the width is 8 feet 8 inches. This is the measurement of the other wall with the cut out to the kitchen. We want to sell the dining set and get something new since this set is way too large for the space. I've attached a picture of a Buffett style that I LOVE. This is an old one from pottery barn but, I'd like to find something similar. We are thinking a round table (48inches) and a Buffett with a width around 14 inches. That would leave us 20 inches of space between the Buffett and table. I'd also like to switch out the light fixture for a drum pendant. I'm thinking a round table with dark top and white base? What do y'all think?
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @everdebz are these the measurements you were asking about? Or do you want measurements of the living area too? Thank you so much everyone for all of the help so far!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Here are some "rules" you can apply to some of the ??? you submitted. 5-5-75 works well for art. Bottom frame 5" above furniture, center point 5' above the floor when not with furniture, width 75% or less than the furniture it hangs above. For coffee tables, they should be 1" - 3" above the sofa seat, 1/3 - 1/2 the length of the sofa, and less than 2/3 as long as the space between the sofa's arms. Dining table tops should be 36-42" from the wall. Allow 24" for chair scoot and sit space all around the table. That is the same for rugs under the table - they should be 4' wider and longer than the table without running into the walls or furniture on the walls. You want to be able to walk around the table while guests are seated without anyone having to stand and move their chair for you to navigate.
    Brittany thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so with those rules, our dining layout wouldn't work. Maybe we could do a smaller table then. I definitely don't want to give up on the Buffet. Plus that wall is so large I feel like we need a Buffet to "frame" that wall. It would be easier to fill that wall space. Right now that wall is so daunting I have no clue what to hang on it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Can you move the lighting fixture further from the wall so you can make room? Could get a longer chain and cord, swagging it over it you wanted.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we can definitely move it and were planning to actually. We are thinking a drum pendant style
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Please don't paint your green furniture. It adds so much life to the room. Paint the dark table white instead.

Lower the art a bit and hang it closer together. Add a big white nautilus shell to the coffee table (which remains green!).
    Brittany thanked groveraxle
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm so surprised that everyone likes the green tables. They are actually different shades but, they are close. I'm unsure if the green tables fit my vision. I feel like the green leans more towards a cottage style. Once we cover the sofa & chair, I want to add pillows and curtains and mix the prints. We also thought about selling the chair and getting a pair. We also want to "mature" the space some. Now I'm even more confused as to what direction to head!
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok and now that I've looked at your picture more I definitely think the 2 pictures above the couch look better lower and closer together
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so here is my vision so far for the dining area. Whit buffet with mirrored or glass doors. Simple, clean gallery wall above the buffet. And Iove the white chairs in the last picture
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Your oddly angled FP seems to be throwing a "monkey wrench" into every solution I've thought of. With a pair of low profile slipper chairs or an upholstered bench at the FP for conversation, you could move the entertainment center to the present sofa wall and float the sofa perpendicular to the entry, adding a sofa or console table where the TV was to create more of a foyer effect.
    Pacific Heights Home Bedroom · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Idea about your area rug - under a white dining set? and brown couch wouldn't be dark and contrasting against it ...it seems to pick up tones from the art, do you agree? maybe buy the brown driftwood end table too!?
    [I like grover's blue though, but not so much with bright green]...
    Surya Forum 5' x 8' Contemporary Rectangle Rug, Driftwood Brown (FM7140-58) · More Info

Kathy Ireland by Bush Volcano Dusk End Table in Driftwood Dreams · More Info

Driftwood Ball · More Info

Visions II Palm Fan Teal Pillow, Turquoise, 12"X20" · More Info

Studio A Driftwood Drum Table · More Info

Kathy Ireland by Bush Volcano Dusk Coffee Table in Driftwood Dreams · More Info

I started on a driftwood search and had to post - cute stuff...
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Obviously I haven't stopped, sorry.... but might this help to know about?... yikes and there were many more...
    comes in many shades..
    Blue & Teal Square Ikat Custom Throw Pillow · More Info

3' Lx3' With Square French Draw-Leaf Table, Driftwood · More Info

Perspective Area Ru, Rectangle, Dark Chocolate, Driftwood Brown, 5'x8' · More Info

Pillow Decor - Bird's Nest Teal Throw Pillow 12X19, Teal · More Info

KESS InHouse Allison Soupcoff "Ocean" Blue Teal Throw Pillow, 16" · More Info

iMax Tobias Cutwork Garden Stool · More Info
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Brittany, a couple of comments on the white dining chairs. First, the cutwork on them may be too much with the design on the buffet. Second and more important, they look painful to lean back on. Sit in them before you buy.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @groveraxle your comment made me laugh out loud because you are SO right. I love the look of those chairs and to be honest... I never even thought about how comfortable or uncomfortable they would be. And now that you brought it up, they look painful!! Thank you for pointing that out. Back to the drawing board!! :)
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste you are so right about the fireplace. We considers your exact set up and measured everything out. The problem was that the living area seemed to cramped. There would be very little room between the coffee table and couch/bookshelf. I would love to be able to float the couch by the door and create an entry way though.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @everdebz you are on a roll and I love it! I'm unsure of the brown rugs because I'm trying to add more color to the room. When we first moved in everything seemed so neutral. Since then I've added the green tables (coffee table was a hand-me-down) and the area rug which does seem to help brighten the room. I really like the style of the Kathy Ireland side table. I think something like that would be cute in place of our current brown wobbly one . I also like the fabrics on the Allison and birds nest pillows. I need to make another trip to the fabric store. Do y'all have any ideas for the style of curtains? I really don't want to do drapes because we had drapes up before and they covered 1/2 the window on both sides and really made the room feel even smaller. I'm thinking some kind of window "topper"
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    No window topper. Too dated and frumpy. You don't really need anything on the windows since you have the blinds. If you'd like something softer, consider roman shades.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so no window topper. And do you agree about no to drapes too? The window seems a little "naked."
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    Brittany, I love your home. I also love that the Houzzers are helping you. If your mnl will help you make slip covers that would be best. You can also take measurements of your sofa and see if Pottery Barn or Ballard Design slip covers would match.
    Brittany thanked motupeg
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    This credenza is only 12" deep. http://www.wayfair.com/Pulaski-Furniture-Console-Cabinet-641052-PU4288.html

You could also use an updated light fixture, something a bit simpler and more modern, I think.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    A roman shade can give you the functionality of a blind with the softness of a curtain.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What about a drum similar to this one? I love seeing that space cleared out. It really helps to visualize. I'm unsure of the style of the buffet but I love the size
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so this may be a stupid question but if we went with a roman shade, we would NOT keep the blinds correct???
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    No stupid ??? here. Do you need privacy there?
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the look of the first style!! We are in a townhome and have a very small "front yard." There's a sidewalk out front so, we would need blinds. I wonder if there is something similar to that style but would allow us to keep the blinds?
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Top-down bottom-up shades are great for letting in light and maintaining privacy. Many options are available . Since they are custom made, may be pricey, but so functional.
    Brittany thanked flopsycat1
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flopsyat1 I like those but I think they might be too modern for us
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Could I do something like this and keep the blinds?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Fabric - such a softener...
    just typed in 'roman shades over blinds' but I don't know personally...if it's very trim and neat looking, why not? though I also searched 'gauze... and that might?
    Grisell Navas · More Info

My Houzz: Patterns at Play in a Scotts Valley Home · More Info

Finishng Touches · More Info

Colorful Family Room · More Info
  • Irene Morresey
    9 years ago
    Needs colour, love this combo
    Brittany thanked Irene Morresey
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so I really love those pictures you posted and that would allow us to keep the blinds which we really need. I'm going to try and get some fabric samples this weekend.
  • Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I love the green and teal together!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    My ideas today let's see.... not that you want 2 area rugs [but not unheard of] but if you did have an 'ocean blue dining furniture' with blue rug then balance that with a blue valance/shade.
    In the middle would be a low-pattern driftwood-brown rug [or jute] so you could keep the brown couch.
    Blue and soft brown is good - and of course throw a pillow or throw in some variation of your accent teal and blue, you?
    some green and teal:
    Camino Santander, Santa Fe Residence · More Info

Lakeside · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    place your beautiful scene art over fp, or dining? Lime makes me 'sing'... :)
    Kids Bedroom Modern style · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Is this sort of gauzy curtain out of the question?
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

oohh -----
    Traditional Family Room · More Info

lighting just fyi
    Rhode Island Beach House · More Info

window fabric seems nicely blue and beige
    Santa Barbara Design Showhouse · More Info
  • B.j. Newton
    9 years ago
    Lower pictures - they should be eye level when sitting to be a cohesive part of the room. You don't want to have to look toward the ceiling to enjoy your art. Sounds like others have given great advise and your on your way to a beautiful home!
    Brittany thanked B.j. Newton
  • beverman
    9 years ago
    oh my god...I did not know I could just go on houzz and get all this design help. I agree
    white slipcovers in heave cotton maybe brushed and with a big zipper you can throw in washing machine. I did it for years...not dark not navy blue
    Brittany thanked beverman
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Brittany, your discussion showed up in the rotation and I recognized it, so how's it going with your room/s there?
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Oh boy, one year -- photos for us? :)

• Brooke Strong
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love the gauze curtains (just make sure you have enough panels or wide enough so they don't look too puny). I think it would give the room a bit of a breezy beachy feel that you like. What about a dining table like this one from Pier One: https://www.pier1.com/simon-java-x-dining-table-base/2786186.html?origin=gridswatch#nav=tile&icid=cat_furniture-subcat_dining_furniture-subcat_tile_dining_tables&start=1 

It will keep the room light and the base is a driftwood color to keep with a beachy feel. Unless you can find one with actual driftwood as the base which would be even better.

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

Please read the date before posting.