Software
Houzz Logo Print
agobear

1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank you Houzzers for your previous tips.) Need suggestions on paint color.

The kitchen cabinets will be Benjamin Moore Super White.
The tile will be FireClay Silver Haze (a light green gray) (per picture).

This room has vaulted ceiling, with windows and skylights, with the main wall of windows facing east, some facing south. The floor will be natural finish Red Oak, the window trim is dark stain.

I've tested BM green/gray/cream colors (eg Soft Fern, Silken Pine) and still can't find one that looks good. If the color is too dark, the tile looks dull and white. If it's too light, I'm worried the walls will look bland in the bright morning and mid day sun.

Thanks everyone for your tips!

Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago
    I would look at greys like BM Pewter, which will look fantastic with the dark wood color and allow the faint green in the tile to shine.
    Adrienne Go thanked houssaon
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Ask your paint shop to match PANTONE 413 C I can't find a live match on any of the major paint chips online. That should sample out pretty well for you.
  • 11 years ago
    I think a soft yellow would bring light and add a natural palette to the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Take a look at BM Gray Mirage or Camouflage.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hey all: Thanks again for your wonderful paint advice. Given bright morning sun, I went with BM Soft Fern - like a sage green. Looks pretty good.

    I'd welcome ideas for a pendant over the breakfast table (against window wall). In ideal world, I'd get something that is light/has some transparency so window light is not blocked. Maybe an orb pendant? Need something is craftsman/industrial.

    Frame and chairs are brown wood, and the top is black granite. The pendants over island are ribbed glass. I could get another one I suppose, but maybe don't want to be too matchy? I'll post in Advice, but I wanted to thank you all for your ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    I found 3 options that I thought may work. I wanted to keep the look masculine yet add a bit of artistic presence while not occluding that wonderful view. With the exception of the bubble glass on the 3rd image the light globes can be changed to mimic the ribbed.

    1. Is a pulley light - I love the look of the pulley in your space it delicately adds some interest without distraction. You can source these at Restoration Hardware.

    2. Is an unusual shape made by Varaluz and offered in most lighting stores. This one is called "Shaken" and is available in 1 and 2 tiers.

    3. Is also available widely and made by Quoizel from the Trilogy collection.

    Your paint color came out perfectly.
    Adrienne Go thanked lucidos
  • 11 years ago
    Lucidos, love your ideas. I am going to check out the pulley pendant. I like the Trilogy piece, but I'm not sure it can be extended far enough down. Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions!
  • 11 years ago
    a grey green color, paint the walls and ceiling the same color. Just don't pick a color really dark
  • 11 years ago

    Lucidos -- thanks again for your suggestion on the pendant over the breakfast table. I found the pulley one and it looks great! Thanks for the inspiration.

  • 11 years ago

    Great choice! Love your home and how you've restored it. Just amazing!


    Adrienne Go thanked lizpb85
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love the pulley it looks phenomenal!! The room is screaming for some craftsman wall art now.

    Maybe with a hint of Dali and Steampunk for good measure as above.

    But standard will do.

    Adrienne Go thanked lucidos
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, I haven't gotten around to hanging art. Need to figure out what I have and then what I need. So much to do. Thanks again all for your encouragement.