Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmhotsko

Need help! Total kitchen remodel 1930's wood home

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am doing a complete remodel of my kitchen and need help! Total shell, no budgetary restrictions... A few things I do know...
1. I would like to incorporate an island
2. Thinking about removing wall to the right side of fridge and door (1st pic) into living area... Thoughts?
3. White palette, Custom counter depth refrigerator, For cabinets I like some glass/crystal
4. Love French country, hamptons, New England style kitchens

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    Good time to rewire and hide pipes, too. Do you have a question?
    jmhotsko thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lovely space! I agree with Carol, it's hard to answer your questions without a floor plan especially with regard to opening up the space with the living area.
    jmhotsko thanked Lynne Russell Interiors
  • 11 years ago
    Floor plans
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This is the view of the wall from the living room I would consider taking down to open up kitchen - not the entire wall ... About halfway to painting
  • 11 years ago
    One thing that caught my eye is that the windows in the third picture are at two different heights, do you plan to address that in your new space?
  • 11 years ago
    No, Jessica, am leaving that window however in the first pic to the left of fridge am planning on changing that window...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The kitchen is nice and bright. I love the big windows. My initial leanings without dimensions: If you could move the sink to the left and center it under the two windows, extend your counter and base cabinets to the left and take down the single upper, that would be a great focal point, especially with subway tile on that wall. it may end up being too close to the doorway, however. Also, you may find yourself too removed from the rest of the kitchen appliances, depending on where they end up. You have two doorways that bring up questions. 1. Can the swinging door by the fridge remain as an open doorway, and is the doorway to the left of the sink and by the stove a main functioning door, or is there another way into the room off the kitchen? Possibilities to open that into an open doorway as well, or wall it off for a larger kitchen. It seems like you have a great opportunity to build a custom built it where your fridge is to operate as a "dresser" or hutch. You mentioned liking French country, New England. I think the kitchen has great bones and great potential. The windows are great and the natural light makes it welcoming. Dimensions would help. Budget is key. It can be surprising how much a job can cost realistically. Especially, if you're planning on moving plumbing, adding electricity, etc.
    Transitional Dining Room · More Info

    Lake Houses · More Info

    South Shore Gambrel · More Info
    jmhotsko thanked Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
  • 11 years ago
    The door by the fridge (swing door) can remain open, the door by the sink could also remain open but not sealed as there is a staircase leading upstairs just outside of it.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I love a booth or banquette!!!! Under half-wall, under window - different configurations, some attached to an island....houzz has many! I supposed you could even use your wooden glider, is it?
    Deluxe in Alexandria · More Info

    Kitchen · More Info

    Enchanted Storybook · More Info

    Breakfast alcove in kitchen · More Info


    Would 'storybook' fit under your window, to left of door with dog?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Incorporate your ceiling beam if varying your ceiling appeals....
    Traditional Renovation · More Info

    CORner:
    Tropical Dining Room · More Info

    Surrey KT1: Country Family Home · More Info

    LaMarche Home · More Info


    IF it would work - which way would you like to see the outdoors? at new half-wall/out through living area? or 'dog window'?? a booth could be placed on either wall I think??
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This is to give idea how booth placed at half-wall could look...or at that wall but with a decorative window [which opens or not]:
    Lake Country Builders · More Info

    My Houzz: Custom Transitional Home With Ocean View · More Info


    a see-through fireplace [over the booth]?
    The LeBlanc-Cox Residence · More Info

    or just one big open area
    Kitchens of the Year 2012 · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I know this is a lot, but I find your project fascinating....
    and how island/peninsula can be combined with seating.
    Bright Green Kitchen · More Info

    Kitchen View · More Info
    jmhotsko thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions @everdebz. I don't particularly like booths, also, if we do not take down the wall into the living room there really isn't much space for considering we are definitely putting in an island. Now that I have had more time to think about this I may repost this idea with new pictures pinpointing more specific questions and ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I can delete some then :)
    More info is always good....
    Where we're living I dream about what I'd do - one is what you're planning: knock out upper wall. So I've wondered what benefit would come / what would be cool.... so I imagined people sitting there and looking out into living area and new views out the window....