Software
Houzz Logo Print
sherisue

stump slivers

14 years ago
Would these stump slivers hold up under foot traffic? They look rather brittle.
Backyard · More Info

Comments (21)

  • 14 years ago
    I imagine the thicker they are, the better they probably hold up. Wonder if they are treated with anything.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    We are cutting down a old oak that's dying, Im cutting the pavors 3 inches thick and placing them closer together.
  • 14 years ago
    That sounds solid enough. Will you post pictures?
  • PRO
  • 14 years ago
    I've seen them made out of concrete and they look amazingly realistic. These might be concrete...
  • 14 years ago
    Really great look! Can it handle foot traffic? Did you shellac the slivers? How thick did you make the slivers? Look at me with all the questions, haha. Looks fantastic!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi, I cut them in 3” to 4” sections – you will need to do this or they will turn up on the sides. I used a five year deck sealer by Bear Paint – color Cedar, two to three coats on both sides, be sure to do this step. I left the bark on, but I suggest removing it and putting the sealer on the sides. It’s great with foot traffic, I have a three year old and I can’t keep him off the Stump Slivers…We put a plastic weed guard underneath them and packed them with granite pea gravel.
  • 14 years ago
    I hope you get many years out of your endevour. Really a great idea and what a conversation piece! Thanks for sharing.
  • 14 years ago
    Looks fantastic Sweetlake!!!
    I also have a large oak that needs to be cut down (very sad) and was wondering what to do with it - I researched a bit and they said to coat the top and bottom of the tree with wax, to allow the moisture to seep out the side - and it would take a week or so . This way the tree won't crack - I'll let you know if it works!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Yes, let me know.... Are you cutting them and then adding the wax to the top and bottom's of the pavors? How will the sealer stick after the waxing? Please keep me up to date on your project.
  • 13 years ago
    Your pavers look marvelous. Did you cut them with a chain saw?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, it was crazy but it worked...I recently put a marine finish on them to preserve the wood, it seems to be holding up just fine.
  • 13 years ago
    Do they get slippery when wet? I was thinking about putting something similar to this as my front walkway. I live in the PNW, lots of rain and the front doesn't get sun all day. I've been thinking about how to seal them to get the longest life possible because of all the hard work to get it together. I was thinking of sealing the bottoms and sides then putting a natural wood sealer on top like I do for my wood deck. What do you think?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    They are not slippery at all! I did seal both sides, it has helped. You can use this new prouduct it's strong...Im using in the next couple of weeks, the link is : http://www.surfacehero.com/product-information.php
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! I was also thinking about putting down a nice thick layer of crushed granite first, for drainage, then the rounds on top. Please let me know how the surface hero works out!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I grated down the area and used a landscape liner. I packed them in sand + crushed granite, Its worked out well.
  • 11 years ago
    That is definitely a really creative idea. I have a couple of old tree stumps on my property that sit a little bit higher than these out of the ground. Is it possible to grind it down to make stump steps like these? I think that would be a lot easier than trying to remove the whole stump. http://www.melbournetreestumpremoval.com.au
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We had to remove the stumps after two years. We got a bad infestation of Wood Bowring Beetles.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    hi these 'stump' stepping stonesare made of concrete

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Yes concrete from flora grubb