Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan856

Need help with my kitchen!

megan856
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am in the process of redecorating my kitchen and I need help! I am trying to choose the granite for the room and I am having a really difficult time envisioning the slabs as actual counters in my home. I have white cabinets and I was planning to do black galaxy granite...until I saw so many other options! I am now considering black "metallica" which is so pretty, but don't know if it will be too much. I tend to gravitate to the warmer colors and I worry how I could warm up the silvery metallic of the granite. Then flooring and backsplash....sigh.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    IN.De Interior Architecture and Design
    11 years ago
    One of my favorites is Absolute Black granite with white cabinetry. Classic and elegant! It leaves many more options for the backsplash tile and floor.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    If you are looking at black countertops consider ceasarstone or similar quartz products. I'm working on a kitchen right now where the homeowner wanted a black and white kitchen. The Ceasarstone was the best fit and very durable. We did a calcutta 1/2 x6" brick pattern on the backsplash, it looks classic and warm against the black and white backdrop of cabinets and counters. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • PRO
    Cabinet Connection of NC
    11 years ago
    Black granite with white cabinets is a homerun. Make sure to add under counter lighting! Also a soft green on the wall will work wonders, make sure to pick a green with a grey base, NOT yellow.
  • megan856
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the help...my concern with the black is not being able to keep it clean with 4 kids. That's one of the reasons for moving to a pattern. Has anyone seen the Metallica granite as a countertop. I am really leaning in that direction, but it's too much of an investment to say 'oops' if it comes out and it's just too much, so I'm really nervous! Also, flooring. I was leaning towards tile, but really love the look off the wide plank, dark hard wood. I am concerned with its durability with 4 kids and 2 bigger dogs every day. Any suggestions there? Should I just ditch the wood idea and stick to tile for wear and tear? Thanks again for ideas and suggestions!
  • dueck
    11 years ago
    We're having the same dilemma with the floors and kids. The beauty of wood floors is that you can always refinish them if they take abuse from the kids and dogs, but they do require more care (e.g. daily sweeping, throw rugs in high traffic areas). Our hardwood in the living room is holding up fine as we have some good runners down in the traffic areas. That said there's also lots of good wood look imitations out there.

In our kitchen, we decided to just put in a Fiberfloor in a wide plank hardwood look....for now... for my sanity so I don't have to be so "careful" with the kids. One day we'll switch to hardwood when the kids are older. Personally I'm avoiding tile as it is so hard on the body to stand on stone for extended periods of time. And there would be too much cleaning up of broken glass (or bruises and fat lips) in our house! If you have tile flooring and stone counters....then you may want to ensure you have a place to deal with things that sometimes need a good hard wack (e.g. opening stubborn jars, breaking up a block of frozen food, etc.), e.g. a butcher block.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Hi Megan. I don't have any experience with Metallica granite, but I do with Absolute black and that is a fine choice too. Just so you know the ceasarstone is so durable, as is the granite. Just a simple wipe down after use and it looks perfect. On the floors, I have travertine stone in my own kitchen and have installed stone many times on projects, I love it. The opposing view is that it is very hard, this has never bothered me. Hardwood is beautiful and warm, but you will see wear, especially around the sink and dishwasher area where thousands of little drips over time will fade and cup the boards. Everything has drawbacks, you just have to decide what your sensitivities are and then make decisions accordingly. I have three kids and a big dog and I like things to be easy to clean, so it's stone for my kitchen. Hope that helps. Charmean
  • megan856
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you..it does. I love the look of stone also. I'll have to look into the travertine
  • Chris Murray
    11 years ago
    Black Pearl granite is also quite beautiful!
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    Just tossing in my two cents here, I love the metallica granite and think that since your other selections are so classic you can get away with a counter with more movement- it's so clever what nature does!

I love wood floors in a kitchen. You may want to check out some of the beautiful Italian Faux Bois tile. It comes in planks that look like wood, but is tile- fulfilling your maintenance criteria.

here's that:
    Girl's Bath · More Info

I also love travertine- Like Charmean mentioned everything has drawbacks, and travertine can stain. I think it's part of the patina and looks more and more beautiful over time

Mediterranean Kitchen · More Info

Good luck! Hope you post what you select!