Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyneel

Art on my wall is making me stall!

emilyneel
9 years ago
Do the dimensions of my stand- in painting work for my dining room? The dimensions are 69" width and 42" height. The wall is 10 ft long x 10 ft high. The table measures 80" x 40". Does this look ok? (the chair upholstery will change!)

Comments (76)

• emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What color should I paint the chairs? Hate to do it because the details are quite beautiful up close in sort of an ORB sort of style.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Don't you dare paint those chairs. If you think they are too formal to go with the art, change the art.
  • housegal200
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle has spoken! Take heed.
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago
    I have got an idea with Paris Montmartre view in black and white first, and an other of The Mont St Michel !!
    What do you think about that, i create the second only for you now !!

If you don't like i can show you other ideas !!

You can check out my work at : http://www.photoforwall.com
  • PRO
    FrameWorx
    9 years ago
    Love the idea of having an artist paint SOMETHING LIKE the photo (avoid copyright infringement!) - the colors, feel, etc. Whether you use a photo or commission (or find) a work of art you really love, pull your favorite colors from the image to use for fabric and other accents. *I would not paint the wood on your chairs!
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Or maybe frame the art? Would that formalize it a bit more?
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's my photo- so no worries about copyright infringement. :)
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Hang your photo. It's fabulous and adds such a personal touch. Pick your chairs to enhance but not detract from your art. The size I think is correct. Also maybe go with a less busy light fixture. Rectangle with candles perhaps.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    A photograph isn't formal enough for your dining room. Surely there's another location in your home for the photo??? One that will work with the whole room and the furniture to show it off to its best advantage.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Fine photography can be used anywhere. It is a valid form of art. Think Ansell Adams.
  • PRO
    creative molding
    9 years ago
    You can also do a stone wall
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I think the size looks good but I would lower it a tad. When you are using the room, you will be sitting so the placement should be lower
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Is this chandelier better?
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    It should be comfortable to view while seated at the table.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    is the picture going to be framed? if so, will be a modern or traditonal. I would go with a modern frame. Hang it a so that you can appreciate it while seated. I would not paint chairs. go with a light vibrant solid cloth on the chairs. I would keep the color in the blue-blue-green family based on picture and wall color or pick a contrasting bright light color from the picture. if you go with a contrasting color, i would make sure the color appears in the area rug. the room looks smallish and i tend to like monochromatic color schemes for small spaces and using pops of color in items that are more easily changed.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks! your comments help a lot. did not consider a modern frame until now. it is a small room, so monochromatic colors are also a good idea. awesome! getting closer!
  • Vicky Paine-Mantha
    9 years ago
    I might try a very modern or funky piece of art with eye popping colour(s). Art does not have to match your furniture... And would set off your beautiful table and dark wood on the chairs ( with new fabric)
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Please feel free to use your fabulous photograph. This is a personal choice that only you should make. Other people should not be commenting on your choice of art. It can be matted and framed with glass over it. It will be stunning.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally! Happened upon a painting for our dining room at an estate sale. Any ideas what color fabric I should use to reupholster the chairs?
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    Why do you need to change the upholstery? Interior decor doesn't have to match artwork.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are right, it doesn't look too bad, but I was planning on changing anyway. Thought I'd do something different. Not fond of the burgundy and gold stripes.
  • Cynthia Jacob
    9 years ago
    I believe that the artwork should be larger to fit the dimensions of the wall. And a bit of color within the artwork could probably work. May I suggest some splashes of primary color within the background color of the artwork.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Emily, I am glad you found that art. What material is your table top? Do you lean at all toward formal fabrics -- oh what about a sturdy linen in a watery green-blue?Would you post a photo of the chair and its details?
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here you go!
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here you go!
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Cynthia, for some reason when I take a picture of the room the art looks too small but in person it actually looks pretty good. I am putting a plant of some sort to the left of the artwork to fill in more of the wall --hopefully it will all pull together. If anyone has any suggestions for chandeliers that would be great too!
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    I think whatever fabric that you pick for the upholstery on the chairs you have to make sure that it coordinates with the table top. Do you normally leave the table without a table cloth? if so, then you really have to be concerned about the upholstery's color especially if you go with a solid color upholstery.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would any of these work?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I can't reupholster furniture in Photoshop, but I do think new upholstery will make the room look much fresher. Here are a couple of looks in a plain fabric, which I like, BTW, because it puts the focus on the chair details and the art.

I think the art is a good size and a plant on the left will fill out the wall. Lower it a tad so the frame is just below the top of the chairs.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Beautiful. Do you want to tell how you came upon these chairs?
  • acm
    9 years ago
    You might consider a darker frame for the art too, both to tie into the room and to give the image better definition. Maybe just stain the frame with a walnut stain...
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    The art is perfect. You might consider of numerous prints made and then cut them up to get an abstract look and have the fabric for your chairs screen printed from the abstract.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    And I think the chandelier needs to be less trendy. Stated elegance is the chandelier that I think belongs in the beautiful room.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks groveraxel- always appreciate your input.
    Yes I think I may even reframe the art to coordinate better. The frame is coming loose at the top a little bit.
    We bought this house a year ago, and the table and chairs came with it. The previous owner hasn't a clue as to where they are from. I did find a pic of the chairs in another houzz photo, though!
    Agree- A less trendy chandelier will most likely look better. Any ideas anyone, on what would work? That'll be my next project! I suppose a crystal chandy. So glad I've waited to purchase one. I am the worlds slowest decorator!
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And thanks, Darla, for saying the art is perfect!! I'm glad someone thinks so. I really like it too.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Everdebz- here are my chairs!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Uncanny! In your room with your art I feel like it's in an Italian villa! It's not necessary to match anything ... does gold seem odd to you?... :) curious.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Do neutral upholstery and then do something surprising.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    How high is the ceiling? Dark but I love the shape and with gold frame fits in your space too- unless you do like grover's, a glory of modern color and darkened frame.
    Northway · More Info
    photo elenachandi.jpg · More Info
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The ceilings are 10 feet high. Thx for the photoshop once again groveraxel! I see you even lowered the art. It does look better that way.
    Here are some of my ideas for chandeliers. Would any of these work? The first two pics are the same chandelier fyi.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also which sort of tree would look best? I will probably need an artificial one since I lack a green thumb.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Are you planning for sure to re-upholster?

I like your first one and the second seems a bit plain and the third I could hardly see, but is it wide enough? I don't know proper measurements, etc....as I looked back at the posted photos I saw that it was the tabletop color it drew out, or the red in art, or the dark wood, etc. etc.......you know what the rest of your home is like.... post more photos?
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, definitely planning to reupholster. What do you think of this chandelier?
    I came across it at Ethan Allen today.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    It looks deep for your 10 feet, but is it wide enough? I don't know.....
    [looks nice with the round table]
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My table measures 80" x 40"
    This chandelier (just posted pics previously) is 30.25" dia. x 36.25" h. Will this fit?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    I don't know but online: [would you call your set middle in scale in that it has some heft and details and it's dark, though it's not all wood, but upholstered in part] "Chandelier: Consider the weight of your furnishings, if heavy they require a complimentary feel. Do you have additional visual limitation as window or other obstructions, and how does the size of your prospective chandelier play into the overall size of your room and other furnishings."
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Just observations - chandelier has little pattern/detail so is it transitional, and it seems large enough...? Now you tell! what do you like about it?You liked grover's capiz drum which was nice and ocean-y?
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally got a chandelier! Still not sure what to do on this wall. Maybe I'll put the mirror back up? Any ideas? Please help! This dining room is driving me crazy!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago

Get your art printed at the size you originally intended and hang it. Get this rug--

Bleached Ivory Basketweave Jute Area Rug · More Info

--from World Market (under $300 for 9 x 12), add some burlap or unbleached muslin curtains, and you're done.

• PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago

I have got an idea for your wall, you can play with sepia canvas photography like this :

You can see this artwork here and[here[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-photos-contemporary-living-room-madrid-phvw-vp~25823203)

Living room photos · More Info