ddiesh

Induction cooktop & downdraft - wall oven below?

ddiesh
We are planning a kitchen remodel. We love the flexible induction cooktops, either the Thermador Freedom or Bosch Flex Induction. This will be installed on an island with pop-up downdraft. Because of space constraints, it would be ideal if we could install a wall oven under the cooktop. I've seen this done with hood ventilation, but not with downdraft (hood ventilation would be difficult in this location as the ceiling is sloped). With conventional downdraft, there is significant space required underneath for the blower assembly, etc. We have a found a few downdraft manufacturers who offer a rear blower assembly, which seems like it might allow space for the oven installation. Do you have experience with something like this? Could this work?

Partners 4, Design
    There are a few items in your situation to look at. Make sure that the induction top you are looking at will work with the oven you would like. Some induction tops require a significant distance below open. There are some down drafts that allow for the blower to be in the toe space or on the back instead of below the cooktop. Some also require space between the cooktop and downdraft.

If you are working with a kitchen designer or appliance specialist they should be able to help direct you to some options that will work. I don't know that you will get all three.
    ddiesh thanked Partners 4, Design
  • nmgrimes
    We've just completed a kitchen remodel. We chose the Thermador induction cooktop and Thermador down draft. I love both appliances but I opted for wall ovens due to space limitations under the cooktop. The ventilation system requires a 10" duct. This takes up quite a bit of room but leaves ample space to store cutting boards and bakeware.
    ddiesh thanked nmgrimes
    Partners 4, Design
    Sounds like you found a very good compromise.
  • Sunny K

I was looking to do the same - Induction Cooktop + Downdraft hood + a wall oven that can fit directly under the cooktop. (GE even has a double oven that will fit under standard cooktop!) Cattura downdraft will work in this arrangement:

http://www.bestrangehoods.com/cattura

if you have already done with the installation, I would love to know what you did.

Thanks

• ddiesh

I hadn't seen the Cattura downdraft, that's really attractive.

Although our installation isn't finished, we settled on a different choice altogether. We went with the Samsung induction range. It does not have the "flex-induction" features of the Thermador or Bosch, kind of a bummer because that is very cool, but the Samsung range has some pretty cool features, too. We also chose the Faber Scirocco downdraft, because it has an option for reverse motor assembly and minimal venting requirements. I will try to post a pic when installation is complete!

• Sunny K
    Smart decision! Love the range, the virtual flame looks awesome. Can't wait to see the pictures and what you think about the virtual flake and dual temperature feature. good luck with the installation!

p.s: Catura is not yet out for sale. they say it will be released this summer, but the pace at which my project is moving, I think it will be out before I am ready. Only dilemma I am having is if I should install the new countertop now and cut it later (more expensive to install the downdraft hood later ) or have it precut to Caturas specifications now and save on installation cost. too risky considering the product is not even released yet!
  • Sunny K

ddiesh, just wondering how did your slidein + downdraft worked out. The 'Cattura' is not yet available, so I might go with the same setup you mentioned. Thanks!

• ddiesh

At long last, our kitchen is finished! The first pic is a general view of our island. The second pic is a view of the downdraft in action. We love the Samsung induction range. The Faber Scirocco downdraft is rated at 500 cfm I believe, should be powerful enough, but is really only effective for the rear burners. We can live with that. I didn't take any photos of the rest of the kitchen, because it was kind of a mess...

• Sunny K
    Your kitchen looks beautiful! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the pictures. One last question, how deep is your base cabinet that has the cooktop and the downdraft? My planned island is 30 " deep cabinet with 13" overhang. thanks.
  • ddiesh

So, our island is comprised of two banks of 24" deep cabinets, back-to-back. The bank on the side with the bar stools is intended for infrequently used items. The central cabinet in that bank also contains the housing for the downdraft blower assembly and ducting. It takes up about 14" of the 24" cabinet depth. The contractor constructed the cabinet so that it has a back face and usable shelving on the remaining 10". This shelving is removable if access to the downdraft becomes necessary. Hope that makes sense!

• Sunny K
    Yeap, makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
  • kirstyeg

@ddiesh, great photos! Would love a review of your Samsung range. I am on the fence between the Bosch and this one. Do you like it? Is it noisy? Does it bake evenly? (This last thing is the one negative comment I saw in online reviews, other than that it sounds really great. )

• ddiesh

I realize this is a long time coming, @kirstyeg, but I LOVE the Samsung range. The induction cooktop is amazing: nearly instant control over heat, easy cleanup. After about a year of use, there is a small scratch in our cooktop, which kind of bums me out. I think we were careless with moving our pots. As for the oven, I haven't mastered convection cooking, so I generally use the "Chef Bake" mode (which is ordinary, non-convection baking). No complaints, the oven bakes evenly. I also haven't used the dual-oven capability. (I know, I'm really not taking the advantage of the features of this machine!). As far as noise, certain pots make strange noises on the cooktop. I'm told it has to do with their metallic content. Our everyday pots (Calphalon?) are fine. There is a fan that runs during and shortly after operation of oven (and cooktop, sometimes). It is not noisy but it is noticeable.

• Vesna Dorn

Hi Ddiesh. We are currently doing a remodel. We have the exact same Samsung stove and Scricco downdraft and are in the process of installing the downdraft. What did you do with the "gap" between the stove and the downdraft? were you able to get granite in there? It was difficult to see in your picture. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks so much!

• ddiesh

How exciting for your remodel! We initially thought that we might fill the gap with the countertop material, but it would have to be removable in case the downdraft needed servicing. Instead, our contractor had a metal fabricator make a strip that matched the finish of the downdraft. At first I wasn't sure about that idea, but I think it turned out great and it sort of unites the range and the downdraft. I hope this picture gives you a better sense of what it looks like.

• Vesna Dorn

ok great, that's what we were thinking. At first i thought maybe there was a trim kit available just for this reason. Your picture above looks good. I hope we are successful in finding someone to make that strip. Does that strip just rest on the downdraft ledge and sides?

• ddiesh

I don't know all of the details of the installation, so I can't speak with authority on exactly how it is resting, but I think what you are saying is correct. There is ample countertop material on the left/right ends of the strip, because the cutaway required for the downdraft is not as wide as the cutaway required for the range itself. If that makes sense.

• Vesna Dorn

yes thanks. We have our granite guy coming today to check it out. Will see what he says. We're just in a small town so access to metal fabricator is next to none. We'll just have to make a template and take it out of town. Appreciate your post it was helpful. Have a great weekend!

• Stacy Imler

@ddiesh and @Vesna Dorn - how do you like the Faber Scirocco downdraft? Also, do you have an internal or external blower? We have an island cooktop that we're trying to choose a downdraft for and there's not much information on the Faber model. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Stacy

• ddiesh

Hi Stacy, I think ours is an internal blower. There is significant cabinet space allotted for the unit at the rear of the range. The Scirocco, well, it's not perfect. It does a reasonable job drafting when cooking on the rear burners (closest to the downdraft). It barely drafts at all when cooking on the front burners. We've decided that when we are cooking something that is likely to need drafting (highly odorous foods, for example), we cook on the rear burners. We've had no mechanical issues with it (knock wood). Good luck!

• Vesna Dorn

We have our blower in our crawl space. We wanted the extra space in the island, the only thing is dong that required a 10" venting pipe. I don't find it as effective as a regular hood fan, however i just do cooking on the back as Ddiesh explained. Large pots of water take a bit longer but I'm rather have that then a hood fan, we've adjusted fine, we've had it for about 6 months now.. Also not sure what kind of range you are using but we have the glass slide in, so there was a gap between the downdraft and the stove. Luckily our stove had a little metal lip that was detachable so we added some extra washer spacers and it filled the gap and matches the stove. The other thing is the Downdraft is explained to have a safety feature that it will stop coming down if something is in the way like a pot handle, i tried it and this feature has never worked, i haven't had an issue but i was just testing the options it said it had and this one didn't comply. If'd like some picture please give me your email address and I'll be happy to send along what some pictures.

• Stacy Imler

Thanks, @ddiesh and @Vesna Dorn. Your comments are very helpful! We'll be installing it in our island behind a cooktop only. We're looking forward to having our remodel done!

• Erin Costello Baker

Hi @Vensa Dorn - I know this is a semi-old thread, but I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation and have been trying desperately to get a cooktop-wall oven-downdraft combo to work. So far neither I or my contractor have been able to find a solution. Would love to see photos of where you landed with yours if possible!

• Vesna Dorn

Hi Erin , the pictures above that Ddiesh has posted is exactly what ours looks like. What pictures would you like, I've attached one here but I would be happy to share more if you let me know what you are looking for?

We have a Samsung slide in stove and the downdraft we used was the Scirocco plus downdraft (Faber brand), it goes up 14 inches, tallest one so that's why we chose it.
    This is what it looks like when it's down and opposite side of island.

• enrique76

Hi Vesna, it's been some time from your post, but I face a dilemma; are both your 30" Samsung induction range and Faber Scirocco retractable vent on the same base cabinet? Is the base cabinet a standard 24" depth, or a 27" base cabinet? I assume the 24" does not have room for both and your fit is very good. You had someone else comment that they had a large gap between their range and the vent; I believe in their case the vent was installed in the 24" cabinet behind the range so the gap was due to the wall thickness of the two cabinets back to back. Thank you for the help, Enrique