Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherneil

Please help choosing a Granite kitchen counter with colourful mosaic b

H J
9 years ago
Hi, I'm having extreme difficulty picking out a suitable colour for my granite countertops. We purchased the house with the backsplash shown in the picture, it's white, teal, sea foam green and grey, my cabinets are white. My floor is tile and light coloured, white with a little bit of blue and beige.

I was considering a white granite for the countertops and possibly another coulor for the island.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• User
    9 years ago
    Engrav's Decorating has a good point. Be sure you love your backsplash. Since you are planning to go through the trouble of changing the granite, this would be the time to change the backsplash, too...Mosaic tiles are nice but busy, so your eye will be drawn to them. You may think about keeping one row of the mosaics and replace the rest with something simple-like a subway tile. Good luck.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---I agree with Engrav's Decorating regarding the backsplash. I think you have a lot of square shapes going on---the splash, the floor tiles, the glass inlays/cabs---and the mottled floor makes the space Very busy. Sorry, just being honest. I recommend either changing the splash or the floor to a solid color and installing any granite, from light to dark, for the counters. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I think the backsplash is fine if you like it -- just try to find a solid counter material, in the gray or white family, probably, without too much movement. (You might have better luck with quartz for finding small or no grain.) You can do just about anything for the island, if so inclined, but again I'd go for a solid if possible.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you are keeping the backsplash and the floors, I think I would consider a polished concrete counter top over a granite;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    A contemporary Kitchen · More Info
  • H J
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do like the backsplash we have but I'm not sure which colour of granite would look best. I'm also worried if we removed the backsplash, it would cause damage to the drywall and it would be a lot of work. We are planning to sell in a few years, just looking to upgrade a little bit.

Should I go with a white/ grey granite on the countertops and something different in the island? A few I have been looking at are,
    White agate
    Bianco antico
    Kashmir white / white river
    Bianco Romano
    With maybe blue flower granite for the island.

Or would a dark colour suit the kitchen better.

Thanks again!

Thanks
  • User
    9 years ago
    Go with a light counter. Nothing with movement, the backsplash has it going on.

Group a selection of those bottles on a beautiful tray and rotate the arrangement as it strikes you. Above the cabinets they were the first thing I looked at and I'm sure that's not your intention.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    Because the backsplash is so busy, you'll need to go pretty simple with the countertop. Look at quartz stone in a solid light grey possibly. Or consider concrete.
  • belavista
    9 years ago
    I agree that the backsplash is very busy and maybe just a little dated ? Definitely solid color counters. I would also stay with the same material for the island.
    But because you said you may be moving in the near future, I would try to do it "right." Great kitchen will sell the house.
    The backsplash is such a small expense compare to the countertops that I would not keep it. Then you could choose any granite you want. In my large kitchen I used the same granite on the backsplash, counters as well as 6 feet island. The installer matched the movement in the granite from the counter to the backsplash and it looks fantastic. I know it is more popular to mix and match, but in my large kitchen it would definitely be too busy.
    However I did mix cabinetry- cherry Island and the rest of cabinetry is white.
    It is just a personal opinion of course and you will probably get way too many:)
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think you need to choose a granite that has very little movement, as the others suggested. I would keep all the countertops the same-maybe you could do something different to the base of the island but keep the countertops all the same. Concrete countertops are solid and look great but they are not as hard as granite and stain easily. We put them in our outdoor kitchen-look great but stained within the first few weeks. Quartzite is a wonderful product and is hard and durable like granite. Comes in many solid colors but more expensive. Good luck.
  • belavista
    9 years ago
    As you can probably tell I am a fan of granite on the backsplash, I love the clean -not so busy look - but it is practical too. No need to worry to keep all the grout clean, especially with tiny tiles.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Ok, you're keeping the splash---counters Caesarstone---same for perimeter and island---pendant light for island---SW's Tradewind or Rainwashed for wall color. Good Luck Heather![houzz=
    Ocean Foam Caesarstone Quartz Countertop · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Nougat Caesarstone Quartz Countertop · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Yoshimi Pendant · More Info
    ][houzz=
    SW6218 Tradewind by Sherwin Williams · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Rainwashed SW6211 Paint · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Stone Park USA Inc
    9 years ago
    We are located 10 min from Philadelphia city. You can see our slabs online at www.stoneparkusa.com
    Please contact us and we can help as we have very large selection. Our phone no is 215-782-9172