Software
Houzz Logo Print
smitapaul

Need help with the bedroom

11 years ago
We have a master bedroom that has nine different things happening in it - all different. We have two windows - one shorter than the other, a sliding glass door, a skinny door for storage space we are going to turn into a closet, a fireplace, the entry door, the back door, a walk in closet and bathroom door. Nothing is centered - the fireplace is off to one side, the short window is kinda random. All this gives the room a chaotic feeling and I'd like to find some solutions that would create more order.
One of my ideas is to take the wall that has the fireplace and skinny door - and cover it with wood paneling. We would cover the skinny door as well - so it looks seamless except for the fire place - which we will keep. We are also going to put down hardwood flooring. Right now, there is only this ugly tile.
If we did the wood paneling - it would be run horizontally - which would be perpendicular to the flooring. I dont' want to use the same wood we use on the floor - I was thinking of a more woody or grainy and slightly darker wood.
We are also going to get rid of that tile work around the fireplace...and that terrible ledge.
My question is: do you think this would look okay? Another idea is to create a very large curtain - which would make the wall with the sliding glass door and taller window look seamless. If anyone else has any suggestions - I welcome it...

Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago
    Hello! As I was reading your dilemma, I felt sure that the so,ution would be to paint all the doors and the walls the same color - possibly a medium gray - to create cohesion. Then I saw the pics of the doors, and they are very nice looking doors! Are they solid wood?

    I actually don't mind your fireplace style, or the ledge. Since your window blinds appear to be gray, they are actually tying in with the FP tile.

    It would be nice if you could post more pics - it's a little hard to get a good handle on your space. But, I think what I would is keep the color scheme monochromatic, using a few shades of gray and some cream (bedding, for example) to keep it from being dreary.

    I think the horizontal wood siding might just add to the busy-ness of the room, so not sure that's the way to go.

    I do like your idea of running a curtain straight across the patio door wall - can you get away with gray sheers maybe? Or, would you need some room darkening material? You could go with Hunter Douglas pleated shades in gray over the patio doors (outside mount), and then run the sheers across the wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Actually the doors are all solid wood and very nicely stained - so I don't really want to paint them....but thanks for weighing in...I agree with keeping it monochromatic. I got the gray shades because of the tile...which is everywhere in the house...we are slowing getting rid of it...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If you get a large piece of art that is cheerful it will change the dynamic of the room.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Rather than cover the skinny door, take it out and sheet rock and texture, then paint. Your fireplace will then look more balanced. For the little window, incorporate it with the larger windows with drapery using a corner drapery treatment like the attached. The drape could be closed on the little window and seem like the same height with the other windows.
    Garrett Park · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    what does the door have behind it, adjacent to the fireplace? could you just remove that door, and use the shelving? love the idea of hooking the curtain rod to the bottom of that sofit and running it across the whole wall, exposing what you want and hiding what you dont. plus it will give it that hotel feel. once you change up the FP the room will be better right now its really totally throwing things into a tale spin lol. at least we solved the window issue. center the bed to the wall not the FP
  • 11 years ago
    My first reaction was that it's a very large space with no anchored spaces. So first you have your sleeping area. But what other space do you want to create ? I would use rugs first to define a conversation space in front of the fireplace. Yes to a new face and mantle. Use the rug to decide your color palette. Then two comfy chairs and a table. I don't see a bedspread on your bed so perhaps complimentary colors in spread there too. A good piece of art in a substantial size could help anchor the space as well as a chandelier. This no of those anchors as a way to connect and hold the room together.