Software
Houzz Logo Print
crioux13

HELP! What would you do in this kitchen?

11 years ago
we are looking at redoing our kitchen. we want new countertops, appliances, paint and maybe paint or stain cabinets. we have beautiful vaulted ceiling with oak beams and want to keep the butcher block island. What would you do here? pictures of ideas would be awesome.

Comments (9)

  • 11 years ago
    Love the vintage charm. I wouldn't do anything but put in a fun new laminate and get new appliances. Maybe paint the island red if you want to paint something.
  • 11 years ago
    One more thing....get rid of the fan.
  • 11 years ago
    thanks we love the charm it has also. My husband would never go for painting the island red though lol. we were thinking of doing the cabinets a creamy white and leaving the island natural.
  • 11 years ago
    and we would NEVER change the ceiling! when we first walked into this house we looked up and went WOW! The kitchen had us sold but I think it is too much of the wood and the ceiling would pop much better with white cabinets :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Beautiful ceiling! I would either paint or reface the cabinets in white.Refacing would give you the option of a changing the door style and adding some glass fronts. You could also add a farm house sink when you change the countertops. Kohler offers this one (Whitehaven) that can be retrofitted to an existing cabinet. Here are a couple of pictures - I like the idea of leaving the island natural but I also like this dark island too. I agree with azhomes - replace the fan, maybe with a great pendant. I would also remove the valance over the sink and just return the crown to the wall. What does the floor look like?
    Kitchen · More Info
    Transitional Besiege Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    the floors are super ugly laminate. those will be replaced with a nice tile probably. :) I would love a farmhouse sink. it all depends on the budget. our sink is fairly new and pretty nice. it is Kohler :)
  • 8 years ago

    The cupboards are awesome. Remove the rooster and all the other extraneous stuff from the counters, and remove the curtains. All that little stuff detracts from the awesomeness.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm with Madden, Slick & Bontempo. Your kitchen has some good bones. Really like the syle and color on the cabinets they showe in the pictures. I would suggest removing the low 'beam' that connects the upper cabinets and replace the curtain for something more slick and simple, maybe a roll down?

    Also a really nice chuncky countertop in stone would be nice, you could consider a farm sink in the same material and get the backsplash in the same material at least up till the window, so it doesn't cut som many lines.

    Do you sit at the island, or just use it as an island? If it's just work space I would consider making it a bit more chunky by filling in the oversize of the top. I think it looks a lot more robust.

    New handels and a new tap can work wonders to. And consider some really good lighting for the work area's.

    Good luck on the reno!