Software
Houzz Logo Print
josianneolcer

Abstract painting critics needed

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I went back to painting after years of dry inspirations and searching of my style. I found it in abstract painting. While I like most of the canvas I made, I am an insecure artist (aren't we all?) anyway, my husband and friends love them but I need an outside critic. Someone with knowledge or just with a good eye to tell me without being scared to hurt my feelings.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    Interesting style and depth, but not a fan of the earth tones
  • 11 years ago
    I think this is fantastic
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It is perfect! You are talented. All of the colors you have selected are "in", Love them! Can't wait to see more!
  • 11 years ago
    I think your painting is beautiful-you obviously have an incredible talent in color and design.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    HI -- The painting is good and has depth .. but ..... not that frame .... can you show it without that frame , please & Thx The big trick is knowing when to stop and not getting too muddy , right ?!!
  • 11 years ago
    I have a B.S. In art .I have done some painting but it's not my thing. I am a potter. Just so you know where this critique is coming from:) I love the colors and feel of this painting. The colors are all well balanced and you have some very interesting texture especially in the left hand corner. The center seems a bit washed out although that may be the lighting. This softer area could be a nice counter to the texture in the corner if it was more off center or balanced in other areas. Remember the old 2/5 this to 3/5 law of composition , you don't want anything dead center. I see a little splotch of an orange tone to the right and would like to see more of it . It's a great complement to the blue and pops! I also agree the frame is distracting. Keep painting you are talented and inspired, do it for the love of it and don't let any critique discourage you ,especially mine! I would love to hang your painting in my home. I would suggest finding a studio of artists you could work with. I am in a studio of potters and their work, their critiques and support keep me inspired! Good luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    As in almost anything, it's all about the presentation, right? I think the framing is throwing off the full beauty of this piece. The colors in your art are really great. Just try to think outside the box a little more with regards to presenting/framing it. It almost looks like it needs a 4" white border to really bring out the colors. Just my opinion... but don't give up on your craft!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would love this if the canvas were wrapped..no frame.
  • 11 years ago
    The frame is an inside one who goes into a bigger/massive one. I didn't put the canvas in as I was painting the frame an other color than the original. I will take a picture of it with and without.

    Thanks a lot for all your comments. I really appreciate it and to be honest, I am happily surprised of the reactions. As I said in the OP, lack of confidence and all...

    It gives me some boost to show you more of my work,

    Thanks guys!
  • 11 years ago
    I am not an expert, but I have an artistic heart. ; ) I just love it! I would love to see more.
  • 11 years ago
    It really is beautiful. I see so much in it. When someone keeps looking and discovering something in a work that is success!
  • 11 years ago
    I think it is amazing!! Love the earth tones!!
  • 11 years ago
    As a painter, I find abstract the hardest form. In this piece, I can't find a focal point and the colors have gotten a bit muddy. The linearity of the strokes leads my eye off the top and bottom.

    That said, there are parts of the painting I like very much; the whole right 1/3 of the canvas for one. If you cover the left 2/3 with your hand, what's left is striking and works quite well. If this were mine, I might isolate the parts with the most depth and paint over the rest in quieter tones.
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with grover, even I am not an artist, but my first impression when I looked at he painting was that it was gloomy w/o a point of interest.
    That's me andmy opinion.
    thank God for diversity!!
  • 11 years ago
    Several have said it has depth but I think that's what's missing. Also, add texture with layers by using a knife--not just thin paint. Don't give up just keep trying to add texture.
  • 11 years ago
    I find your work soothing and pleasing. I think it could work well in many applications
  • 11 years ago
    Love the painting, but I think a different frame would highlight it better. :)
  • 11 years ago
    I like it and find it haunting. See a face in the middle. Agree, no frame, just wrapped.