Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericnmel99

Algae on pond liner. Question....

ericnmel99
17 years ago

Hello all. I have a 1300Gal pond and have a UV light running constantly. My water is pretty clear, but my problem is with the pond liner itself, its turning green from algae. Could this be because my UV is not strong enough or is something else causing this problem? Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

Comments (12)

• chrisl1976
    16 years ago

I believe I read here somewhere your gonna get green algae on the liner no matter what kind of UV filter you have. Thats where fish come in....limit their feeding so they are forced to eat the algae in the pond.

• ericnmel99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good point.... i do tend to spoil the fish. I feed them twice a day, mostly because they are growing and they eat like crazy when i feed them... Maybe i'll slow down the food and see what they do.

• curb1
    16 years ago

Most feel that a layer of nice green algae on the pond liner is fine. Correct me if I am incorrect.

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

a UV will only kill the algae that is in the water...not the algae that grows on the walls. The algae on the walls is perfectly normal and is also beneficial, so leave it there. It's supposed to be there.

• christianme
    16 years ago

Chris is correct if you try feeding them less it won't be long before you see them eating the algae off the sides of the liner.

• okpondlady
    16 years ago

Tell them to go eat some algea... and slow down on that feeding.
    Feeding->pooping,
    pooping->higher fertilizer in the water,
    More fertilizer->more algea.

Have fun.
    Karen

• ericnmel99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all..

• jmorris271 Morris
    16 years ago

Algea on the side of your pond is also host to your natural bio filter. Benificial bacteria reside in that algea. The worst thing people can do in their "clean up" is scrub that algea off.
    Just my .02's.

• albartsch
    16 years ago

I know this has probably been answered, but I have a lot of algae and now I can't even see the fish through the green/brown water. I put in a uv filter and have two mechanical filters. Any other suggestions?

• loma_ponder
    16 years ago

albartsch,

The obvious question is coming; how long have you had your pond? I've seen people mentioned here and else where that a pond takes a year or more to mature. My pond has gone through three clear / green/ brown / clear cycles since I started it up in October.
    {{gwi:195786}}

Sometimes it just takes time, and patience. Allow for the beneficial bacteria to catch up. Don't feed your fish for awhile, clean out any floating debris on your pond surface, check to see that your UV is working right (Not burnt out -UV loses a lot of its effectiveness when it runs through a heavy green sheet), and make sure your filters are free of build-up. And one day, you'll come out and BAM; it's clear.

LP

• Steven Dyer
    3 years ago

Just a quick one I have mixed goldfish and koi, how many water changes should you be doing

• papnnana
    3 years ago

What about String algae? That can't be good. 😬