Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
animalloveraz

Plecostomus in pond for winter?? Please Help

animalloveraz
14 years ago

Don't know what to do here.. much conflicting info... I have 2 catfish and a plecostomus in my apx 900 to 1000 gal pond that out grew my moms tank. It became obvious this week catfish will not make it thru the winter so pulled them out this morning and put then in a big plastic tub. The plecostomus is huge and I'm afraid he is to big to winter at least with out a much bigger tub.. I don't want him to die and really don't know what to do here... does anyone have thoughts?? Do I need to suck it up and get a much bigger tub or will he be ok?? This morning pond was 50 our low was suppose to be 44. I know it will get colder...

Comments (11)

• animalloveraz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would also apprecaite ideas on what people use to winter there fish in... I am using a large storage tub like you get for your decorations.. thx in advice

• mrshkoiluver
    14 years ago

Do you have a farm supply near you? They sell 40 gallon feed tubs that are plastic.

• ahuehuete
    14 years ago

The only thing I know is that Plecostomus are very resistant fish. Once my tank's heater broke and boiled the water... the only thing alive in that nasty fishsoup was the Plecostomus.
    I don't know how much do they stand cold, but maybe they do.

Ahuehuete

• backyardmama
    14 years ago

Your Pleco, being a tropical fish won't be able to stay in the pond. I overwintered one in a 30 gal Rubbermade tub that was only half-filled with water one winter, then found a science teacher willing to take him the next winter. By then, he was about a foot long. By all reports, he is a very happy pleco in his 50 gallon aquarium that he shares with a few other plecos. As long as you run a pump, yours should do fine in a 40 gal. tub.

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

This sounds similar to what we do with our goldfish, though they are much hardier. It is interesting now that we could have a plecostomus in our pond too.

We have an unheated 55 gal aquarium in our basement which usually has a temperature of 60 to 65 F. Every December we catch our 4 goldfish and let them live in that tank under lights and with air until April. You could do that too with your plecostomus. My grandson loves to have his goldfish for winter inside.

• annedickinson
    14 years ago

I agree that the plecostomus would be much happier and safer inside during the winter. I found a great 40 gal tub at Tractor Supply. I would imagine someplace like Home Depot might also have a large tub.

Good luck.

• ernie_m
    14 years ago

I tried 2 6-8 inch plecos in my pond last year. LPS who sold them to us warned to take em out before Halloween (Long Island NY), but that was a little late and had lost both of them by that time. They looked fine besides having the deads so I think they had just recently succumbed to the cold. My goldfish and Koi were fine and they wintered over in a 55 gal fish tank (complete filter and frequent water changes).

Fishtanks ain't ponds, very limited amount of water and not as many plants. Cleaning gravel and changing water are essential as nitrates will build up.

• bubbalove
    14 years ago

I've overwintered some big Plecos in a greenhouse. The water temps got into the high 30's Fahrenheit (guessing) and they were fine.
    Goldfish and koi eat large algae so I'm not sure why to introduce one to a pond. You can't really see them and they might introduce parasites.
    B

• sheepco
    14 years ago

From what I gather Plecos are tropical fish with preferred water temps of 73 - 82F. Time to move him. The few sites I checked said at least a 55 gallon tank for an adult (don't know how big that means, but since yours is huge I wouldn't go with something smaller). They sell 60ga rubbermaid or other brand stock tanks at most big box stores. Be sure to put a screen or something over it so he doesn't jump out.

• Doug Pearson
    2 years ago

I live in Indiana; right now 1100 gallon koi pond has two pleco's in it and water temp is 35F they are still swimming around the bottom of the pond.