Software
Houzz Logo Print
tamarahl

Want to open up my kitchen to my sunroom, requires removing a load bearing wall

14 years ago
My current kitchen (including the breakfast area) is 26'6" x 14'-0" and it has a pass thru to a solarium that is hexagon shaped with walls of windows on four sides (looking south and east), and measures 17'-4" x 15'-8". I want to open up the space between the two rooms and in doing so, bump out the current pantry into a walk-in, and create a mudroom that can accomodate 4 people's coats, backpacks, etc. when you enter the house from the garage. I am stumped by the space and will post a picture of the first floor layout as soon as I get home to help you visualize better the space.

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago
    Here is the blueprint of the first floor of my house. The optional solarium off the kitchen is really there!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The solarium looks like a wonderful space and it will certainly get more use once you open up the kitchen to it. Is it the new kitchen layout that has you stumped?
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, I want to keep on being able to eat in the solarium, but want to integrate the kitchen more into that space, too, since the views from the windows are so stunning!
  • 14 years ago
    And this is the sunroom from the entry arch to the left of the double ovens
  • 14 years ago
    And finally, the kitchen as seen from the family room
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You need to contact a Architect n contractor team to check for the removal of that wall , and they can do the job Better .
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi tamarahl,
    We did a very similar project except that we were building a sunroom as a replacement for a screened porch and opening up the whole space to be continuous with our kitchen. This involved taking out a load bearing wall to open up the kitchen to the beautiful sunroom views. Even though we had both an architect designing the new room and a GC building it, they brought in a structural engineer to consult about the wall because it necessitated putting in a huge steel beam in the ceiling where the wall had been. So my best advice is to plan out what you think you want and then consult with a structural engineer about how to properly handle the load bearing wall. You don't want to make any mistakes with that situation.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    So it seems that you need to consult an architect. If you will look at the top of this page and click on Professionals, you should be able to locate some in your area and see their work on this site. Be sure to keep us houzzers posted on your progress. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    It would seem that once you create more open relationship from the kitchen to the solarium, you'll end up with 2 dining spaces that are in close proximity with each other. Are you willing to give up some the breakfast room in favorite of a better designed kitchen and mud room ?
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments and questions. I have an appointment set up with an architect, who designed my friend's addition to her home, so she will hopefully be able to answer my structural questions. I also have a structural engineer (connected to a design/build firm I am considering) coming out that same week to analyse whether a steel beam can be installed and at what cost. Dytecture, I already use my "Breakfast Room" as a couch and table seating area, so friends and kids can hang out with me while I cook, so it will not be missed in the new configuration when it becomes my desk and corner cabinet for storing checkbooks, pens, papers, etc. We eat almost all our meals in the solarium, at the tile table I had made in Morocco. A few nights a year we are in the formal dining room. My big questions are do I do a galley kitchen, or a U shaped kitchen or a L shaped kitchen once the wall is removed? Also, where is the best place to put a pantry? I would like a walk in pantry if at all possible. The area where the current pantry is located will most likely become the mud room. I also need to see about the flooring, I am not sure if I should switch to hardwoods or keep on with porcelain tile in the remodeled sunroom/kitchen? I welcome all of your comments and wisdom.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the sketch. But, I think your plan has one hitch, I am not crazy about walking into the family room every time I want to access my kitchen from the garage. Carrying groceries, etc. is best done in one short hop. I also don't want to have my range on an island, I have done that for 12 years and am over it!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    LOL, I put the Range there just because it was on the island in your current kitchen :)

    I am sure this would be one of many versions you will go through before it's all said and done, this was just to get the conversation going in order to understand your likes and dislikes.
  • 14 years ago
    Ok, some updates. I have met with two architects who tell me that I can use LVLs to open up the space between the sunroom and the kitchen. So, that is good news. Apparently, steel beams are much more difficult to get to the site, install, etc. Since the price is not cost prohibitive, it means I can move forward with thinking about my plans. I also have realized that I have a third garage, which is not in my blueprints, that we use for storage of bikes, garbage cans, etc. It is very large, about 8 feet longer than the other two garages, so I think I can use that for my mudroom! The 8x12 foot mudroom would enter into the kitchen between the back stairs and the window. I could then think about turning my closet and existing door to the garage into cabinet space, coffee/beverage bar or pantry. It is the same depth as the pantry, approximately 36 inches. Or perhaps you have a better idea?? Also, I am thinking about whether I should forego my desk idea and instead have another island so there are two prep areas. But, I do so love my lounge area in my kitchen so I am loathe to see the couch disappear. The couch could probably go where the desk is presently, to the left of the back stairwell...
  • 9 years ago
    I know this post is several years old but I have the same kitchen and in the same dilemma!
    tamarahl-what was the end result of your renovation?