Software
Houzz Logo Print
barryfb

What about cork flooring

14 years ago
we are thinking about putting cork in our new kitchen need to know if that is a good ideal. We have house dogs.

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    No, not with dogs. I have a friend who was the manager of a ProSource flooring showroom and she put cork down in her kitchen because she's always loved the look and she wanted something that felt warm and soft underfoot. She ended up covering the cork with a fibre-floor because it marked too easily. It was good quality, and she lived there with her husband and no kids or animals. Knowing what she went through, I don't recommend it for kitchens at all.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I've had a very active dog for years on my cork floors and the cork tiles have held up great. Cork tiles are very durable and easy to clean. You do need to maintain the finish and the quality of the finish can make a difference in how cork tiles wear. Use the 100% cork tiles in kitchens since those are fully water resistant. Even a kitchen appliance flood won't damage real cork tiles.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I have a new client whose hot water heater failed and flooded her basement. The cork tiles which were excellent quality from Torly's were ruined. I don't see how Globus Cork can say they're fully water resistant. Can you define what you mean by that? I've been told to never use them in a wet room.
  • 14 years ago
    The Torlys cork product was ruined because it is not 100% cork . The cork is attached to a wood type centre core which will be ruied when you have standing water.
  • 11 years ago

    I don't have cork floors in the kitchen but I do have them in high traffic areas and they are great. I recommend cork for durability, sound control, and insulation. They are cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Have installed cork floors in several projects, no problems reported.

  • 11 years ago

    I haven't had any problems with the cork flooring. What is the best method for cleaning them? I vacuum on a regular basis.

  • 11 years ago
    I'm not sure about cork floors in the kitchen, but we have them in our home office, which has high traffic and we have a dog and never had any problems. I would just research as much as possible from the manufacturer.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    My experience with cork floors is they look great and feel great underfoot. As far as using in a kitchen they are not as worry free as other flooring choices. They are susceptible to fading if exposed to sunlight and the edges need to be well supported where they meet up with other flooring surfaces. If this edge is not supported it will chip. Water spills should be cleaned up as soon as possible.

  • 11 years ago
    We have glue down cork tiles in two bathrooms. After installation we added three additional layers of polyurethane. We have no problems with water. They are soft, quiet and always warm. We wish we had used them in our kitchen as well.
  • 11 years ago

    I have cork floors that I love in my family room. Unfortunately, this room adjoins the closet where the cats' litter pans are, and apparently they come racing out of there -- the floor is all scratched and scarred in that area. It saddens me, but I'll be changing it all to hardwood when I redo my kitchen in the spring.