Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Baretta St. Bourbon

14 years ago

I said I had information on "Baretta St. Bourbon," offered in the Vintage Fall Release list. Here 'tis:

Att. is the photo we used for the 2008 Rose Sale catalog for the Sacramento City Cemetery -- and here is what I know of it:

"Baretta Street Bourbon"

Found in Sonora, this rose is a wonder in the cemetery garden. Blooming repeatedly from spring through late fall, it�s soft "peach-leaf" foliage is disease free and fragrant.

Two of this rose grow together here, and they are at times the only roses blooming, showing off, even through the heat of summer (Oh, this is why we love such roses!). A very lovely rose, and a survivor of California�s historic past. Visit "Baretta Street Bourbon" at: 51N/52SW

If I had a place for it, I would order this rose. It's a good demonstration of why we save Old Roses. :-)

Jeri

Comments (19)

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks for Sharing Jeri. If the color is accurate, it looks like a candy apple red? I put it down as my first alternate when I submitted my order earlier, now I wish I had put it down as a first choice rose. Very beautiful :)

    Tammy

  • 14 years ago

    IIRC, the color is similar to that of 'Gloire des Rosomanes,' which I think is gorgeous. I hope you get it.

    Jeri

  • 14 years ago

    So, the mature height of this rose would be . . . . ?????

  • 8 years ago

    Mine has also been disease free. It does have a damask smell to me, though with some spice. Blush Noisette doesn't have the same smell to my nose. Interesting.

  • 8 years ago

    If you both have photos, I'd love to see them! Carol

  • 8 years ago

    No photos yet, I will try to remember to get one next time it blooms.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, Needsmulch! Carol

  • 8 years ago

    Cedemas -- I would like to have photos -- this rose really should be red. It's considered to be a double form of 'Gloire des Rosomanes' which is red.

  • 8 years ago

    Here it is. I blocked out my neighbor's house from across the street.

  • 8 years ago

    Well, I have a Ragged Robin that sometimes blooms pink in the spring -- so it's possible. But later blooms really should be red.
    Can you show me the leaves?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Leaves: they are serrated and mosly oblong, very dark green because I recently gave them some iron. I suppose it could be a match for the photo on HMF.

  • 8 years ago

    Let me take a couple of photos for comparison.


  • 8 years ago

    If it's Baretta St. Bourbon, the leaves should look more or less like this:

  • 8 years ago

    But I was wondering if it could be "Grandmother's Hat", in which case, they would look like this:

  • 8 years ago

    I think you may be correct. The leaves on my plant have the finer serrations as per your Grandmother's Hat. Also the color is right for that one. Wow! Great detective work! I got my "Baretta St. Bourbon" from Rose Petals.

  • 8 years ago

    Everybody makes an occasional mistake. Getting an unexpected "Grandmother's Hat" is not a bad deal. But we'll know for sure after your second flush of bloom.

  • 8 years ago

    Jeri, on second thought, maybe it isn't Grandmother's Hat (not that I'd mind such a mistake). Mine is a cluster bloomer.

  • 8 years ago

    Well, GramHat is a cluster-flowering rose, too.

    But it's been so long since I've had a baby GramHat -- I just don't know.