Software
Houzz Logo Print
zjw727

Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant

14 years ago

Has anyone grown this rose, a Hybrid Perpetual from 1858? The only sales listing I have found is with Long Ago Roses, or as an expensive custom root from Vintage Gardens. The bloom is charming, with dense pale lilac-pink petals that are cupped and rolled back, and with a reputedly strong fragrance. So many HP's have such a bad reputation for disease and un-mannerly growth habits...it makes me wonder if this rose is guilty of those problems. Is that why its so hard to find? Or is it just not well-known, or maybe its difficult to propagate? I'd love to hear what anyone might have to say.

Comments (22)

  • 14 years ago

    I have grown it for a good number of years (I believe mine was from Vintage Gardens). In habit, it is absolutely stiffly erect. A cut-back plant could reach a height of, say, six feet by the end of the season...with its width only about two feet or so. I gave up spraying any of my roses years ago; and, without spraying, CCdC does fine--maybe some mildew at times, maybe some rust at times (black spot is a rarity in my area), but certainly much less than, for instance, 'Roger Lambelin'. Almost every blossom is perfect, and an exact replication of almost every other blossom: just as you say, cupped and rolled back. The color is a sort of chalky lilac-pink, and, in character with the bush, held absolutely and stiffly erect--it must have been a variety much beloved of exhibitors. The blossom's size is "medium," the fragrance is pleasant but, at least in my area, light, the floriferousness moderate. It's distinctive and good in so many ways that I wonder why I'm personally not more fond of it; but there you have it. It's a worthy rose, and more people should know it and grow it!

  • 14 years ago

    I have not grown it myself, but I helped tend the Stagecoach Inn Heritage Rose Garden where there were two of CdC.

    I can't tell you whether or not they are still there, but that area of the rose garden is now terribly overshadowed by Live Oaks, which may be why I have not noticed those roses, on my recent visits.

    It was when I knew it a mannerly, upright bush which bloomed in an attractive SLIGHTLY lilac-toned pink. The blooms were attractive, if on the small side for an HP, and the quantity of even the spring bloom was not precisely overwhelming.

    I don't think it was troubled much by mildew, tho I think it had some late-season rust.

    Jeri

  • 14 years ago

    What perfect responses: I couldn't have hoped for better ones! I'm going to order it...I can't stop thinking about it! I've never ordered from Long Ago Roses, their prices seem low, which might be good or bad. Any input?

  • 14 years ago

    I think it depends on where you live. The responses are all from California rose growers so it must do well there. I live in the mid-Atlantic and this one was a blackspot magnet that did not perform well here.

  • 14 years ago

    Sigh. I'm sure I'm in the wrong place for most roses like that. This summer, the temperature was above 65 degrees on only a handful of days. I'm going to try anyway!

  • 14 years ago

    I agree that it is a rather good rose (for a HP) with decent health and vigour. The blooms are very rounded with many petals and consequently, it does not look terrific in periods of much rain. Proved to be a good 'doer' in the dry and windy fens of East Anglia.

  • 14 years ago

    Putting in a good word for Linda at LongAgo Roses. Most of her plants are small but well rooted. She's great to work with and I recommend her for plants.

    Diane

  • 14 years ago

    Yes, you can feel confident ordering from Long Ago Roses. Like Diane said, her plants are small, but well rooted. For whatever reason, when I transplant them into 1g pots upon arrival, they seem to take off faster than other sellers (maybe its her rooting mix? I don't know). She also sells on Ebay as LongAgoRoses...check out her feedback...always good!

    Tammy

  • 14 years ago

    I'll have to second Tammy on the recommendation of Long Ago Roses. I've bought probably two dozen roses from Linda, most all rare and some finicky by reputation, and they thrive for me. My Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant came from Vintage, and it's a great plant here, if you like them tall and skinny, lol. She can get 7' tall here. I top the canes in Spring, and as best I'm able, I shorten the outer canes a bit more. She doesn't mind, and it gives her more foliage lower down, and some lower blooms. She's too stiff, or otherwise I'd try her as a climber.

  • 14 years ago

    fig_insanity: Do you have any pictures that you'd be willing to share? I'd love to see what the full-grown shrub looks like! Also, I wish I had some figs...YUM!

  • 14 years ago

    zjw, unfortunately I don't have any photos of CCdeC. If I think of it, I'll take a few pix when she starts her last fall flush,if she doesn't get nipped by frost; the last buds are showing color right now. She had good bloom about a month ago, just as it cooled down, so this won't be anything like the Spring flush; but maybe you can get an idea of her potential size.

    John

  • 13 years ago

    Nor do I.
    AAMOF, I'm not 100% sure they're still there.

    Jeri

  • 13 years ago

    Oh.My.Gosh. In reference to trying to take pix of CCdeC...they're predicting a chance of frost Sunday night/Monday morning...about two weeks early. Arrrrgh!

  • 13 years ago

    we bought ours from Pickeringnurseries.com on rootstock and it grew fast as roses do on rootstock. It is disease resistant at Morcom amphitheatre of roses in Oakland, California, a no spray garden, by city law.

    Lux.

  • 13 years ago

    Re: Cecile de Charbrillant: The last time I was at the Stagecoach Inn rose garden in March, the two Chabrillants were there but not thriving due to the overgrowth of the sumac and other trees in the adjacent lot. My estimate of the rose is less favorable than that of both jeri and Odinthor--mainly because I had the task of removing the rusted foliage....

  • 13 years ago

    This gorgeous rose turned up in the Fourth Release from Vintage Gardens and I managed to get one! I am beyond excited, and I don't care if the plant proves to have all the worst flaws of its class: I'm choosing to view it as an adventure! Thanks for all of the feed-back and input!!! Zachary.

    Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:231528}}

  • 13 years ago

    You know what, JD -- When they were first planted there, they did not rust. (Maria Wood DID rust.) I think it's the encroaching oak forest that is the problem now. And I suppose there is no remedy for that.

    Jeri

  • 13 years ago

    The photo reminds me of La Reine.

  • 13 years ago

    No. It is wholly different from La Reine.

    Jeri

  • 13 years ago

    I tried to respond to this post the other day, when my Safari crashed. So I will try again! I looked up this rose on HMF (HelpMeFind.com), and there are quite a number of photos (if you click on the Photos tab of CCdC's page), including one of the whole bush - in which it looked lush and lovely, lots of nice foliage and flowers, AND very shapely, not stick-like at all! Go take a look, zjw, and feast your eyes. If you aren't familiar with the HelpMeFind.com site, when you get to HelpMeFind.com/roses, look along the left sidebar and click on "Plant Search". When the plant search page comes up, type the rose name in the field and hit "Search". Several names will come up next - I'd click on the first one. Then the rose's page will come up, with info and a photo. For all the photos, click on the "Photos" tab at the top of the rose's page.

  • 13 years ago

    Trust me, over the last 5 or 6 months I've probably seen every picture in existence of this rose on HMF. I admit to being a sucker for a rose with a title...any Countess, Duchess, or Lady will pique my interest. If left to my own devices, my garden would be a floral version of Burke's Peerage.

    Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=21.210768

0