Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpaegelow

Need help with my foyer!

hpaegelow
11 years ago
I feel like my foyer needs "something". There are so many doorways and very little wall space. I also hate to cover up the beautiful chevron design in the floor too much. Any suggestions?

Comments (23)

• stall69
    11 years ago
    What about using the recessed panels of the doors for art work? Turn your foyer in to an art gallery. You could have any image blown up to the exact size or commission originals.
  • trish nelson
    11 years ago
    The floor is great but s narrow runner might be ok, pick a color out of it and paint the walls to make the trim details show more, small contrast. Also, not sure how wide your one piece of wall is there on the left but there are coathook/tall chair/mirror deals... see attached. Not that one but like it?
  • lobelia
    11 years ago
    What about a mirror and small table or bench on the left side between the two doors. Also, I'd go with the runner, too
  • hpaegelow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The door on the left is to a finished basement and open regularly. Love the ideas, thanks!!
  • PRO
    Beacon Architecture & Design
    11 years ago
    I would recommend a small round table placed under the light fixture. Something with a nice or interesting base, so that if your eyes notice the floor you're not distracted by an ugly table base. Add a nice vase with some fresh flowers or some interesting twigs (no faux flowers , though).
    Take a look at Restoration Hardware or Arhaus "Weston Bistro Table" with it's factory style base.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi, perhaps a different wall color towards warmer tones will add some character to this foyer.

Carnegie Hill Residence · More Info
  • joettabrown
    11 years ago
    Start small try changing the wall color to something in the creams or me I love sage and that would help your trim pop specially with your dark doors
  • hollywould
    11 years ago
    A pretty but soft color such as Beach Glass by Benjamin Moore, some kind of small table, either on the left side with a small lamp or in the middle as someone suggested earlier. I love your floor, it's beautiful, but I would still add a narrow runner for character and color. Also add a few pieces of art that speak to your personality. Beautiful space, just needs a few pops of decor :)
  • hpaegelow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love all the ideas! it's brand new construction which is why nothing's been done to it yet! :-)
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Try this kind of floral arrangement for a beautiful view .
  • charliemycat
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yo don't need much, maybe a little color. I'd paint the walls and also paint the ceiling. It's unexpected, but with the right colors it would be amazing and welcoming. I wouldn't do anything else, except maybe beautiful entry mat.
  • PRO
    Corinne Madias Real Estate Marketing Kw
    11 years ago
    big glass in front door,recessed lighting,and stain floor driftwood light grey. light fixture is cool but not adequately illuminating the space.
  • PRO
    Corinne Madias Real Estate Marketing Kw
    11 years ago
    also a light fixture with crystals would help bling it
  • hpaegelow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    There is actually ample light, maybe poor picture. The home was just completed a couple months ago so replacing things already is out of the ?. Thanks for your ideas though!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I love your entry. The ceiling shadows from the chandelier are wonderful. I'd place a pedestal under the chandelier with a free form or head-type sculpture on the pedestal.
    Dining Room · More Info
    Stone Arch Entry · More Info
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I have a similar entry with six doors in addition to the front door. For your beautiful entry with dark wood, I like Dytecture's suggestion of a warm tone for the walls. I would select a color that will call attention to the lightest color of the chevron floor. I also like Vikrant Sharma Homez' idea of a table with a floral arrangement. The frequent use of the basement door might cause difficulty with an arrangement under the light fixture, however. I know I would always be bumping into it. I would suggest a corbel type hemishphere shelf on the wall on the left of the image. I would put a bowl of flowers similar to Vikrant's photo, to add a curved, horizontal element. A tall arrangement will emphasize all the vertical lines already in the space. Please post "after" photos!
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    11 years ago
    It appears you have very little wall space. The advantage to that is, you could use almost any color you want on the walls and it wouldn't be overwhelming- assuming there is a "stop" on both sides (and the wall opposite the stairs doesn't run on into another room). The wallpaper suggestions are good. But you could also use a strong accent color. I'm not even going to begin recommending which color because I don't know what colors are in the adjacent areas. Runner or small rug could provide the inspiration for a color, if you don't have a scheme yet. The doors don't seem to leave room for tables so consider a shelf, with the mirror above that. Finally, you could leave the walls white and put a color on the ceiling only, if desired. Good luck, it looks great already.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I love the reflection/design that the light makes on the ceiling....maybe painting the ceiling would be a great idea to get some color in that area. And sorry, but you DO need to get some kind of runner. Know you hate to cover the beautiful floor, but it needs it. You could put 2 topiaries or plants on either side of the front door. Put a small pedestal type table on the wall space to the left and have an arrangement on top of that. Love the idea of the way a centered table under the lighting looks, but it looks like that idea may get in your way and be more of a pain to live with??? That's my 2 cents! :)
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    What a wonderful house. I love the choice of woods and the flat panels of the doors. Great classic lines.

In one of the photos you saved for your idea book, I see a beautiful area rug.
    Craftsman Style in Burlingame Stair · More Info
    A rug like that would be wonderful. I also love the paint colors of that entryway. Would the trim color work on your walls?

One other suggestion, change out the light bulbs from clear to ones that defuse and soften the light.
  • tammyw6
    11 years ago
    WOW,,I think its beautiful, furniture would only cramp the space, maybe paint one of the doors for some color, or ad a Longggg narrow colorful runner,, keep it simple and classic like it is.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    one more thought.....if you don't like the plant idea on either side of the front entry, 2 tall ceramic or metal urns with twigs or some other tall stick-like natural elements would be beautiful, and no maintenance!!