Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Strobilanthes dyerianus 'Persian Shield'

deirdre_2007
13 years ago

Okay saw this today while I was just "going in to get bread" and willed myself to not look at the plants!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAH!! The games I play with myself. And yes, I did bring home a 3-Gal Rhodie along with the 3 loaves of bread I went in to get! ($20 for an enormous red rhodie, I just couldn't pass it up!!!)

So I know it's a tropical plant but could I grow it in a container, and put it in my unheated garage over the winter? Or would you just take cuttings and bring it inside? This is scary in and of itself, because I've been banned from having any more houseplants. My husband got sick of watering them and of them dying and he's scolded me over and over again not to get any more houseplants. I'm down to one Aloe plant that's survived my enormous neglect over the past 4 years!! I don't know why, but I just can't do "indoor plants"!

So is anyone growing this plant locally? How much water does it need, and is it deer resistant? Part of my really, really wants it because it is so beautiful, but I just cannot commit to daily watering. Part of me says, I should just scrap it because it doesn't meet my criteria for any new plant purchase, mainly drought tolerant, clay tolerant and deer resistant and I'm guessing this plant doesn't fit ANY of my criteria, but it's so perty . . . Please give me a big dose of reality because my will is weak . . .

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES