Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Hurricane hit - what to do?

tiffy_z5_6_can
13 years ago

We were hit by Earl yesterday and my Dahlias were one of the casualties. Despite the fact that they were staked, some of the stakes actually broke taking the whole plant down. Some are broken at the base.

Our first frost usually arrives in late October. I'm at a loss of what to do to save the tubers. Many were 'new to me' this year.

Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• Poochella
    13 years ago

Sorry about Earl and I hope other NE N.American gardeners didn't suffer much damage.

I had a plant blow down and break below ground level in heavy wind/rain one year and the tubers were just fine left under mulch until I dug those and the rest in October/November. I'm still growing the offspring from the plant today.

It may send up sprigs of growth, but by now, you should have mature enough tubers underground to survive storage and regrow next year. I can't remember if I cut off the sprigs or let them grow a few weeks. Someone else can advise you there. I'm thinking keep the energy in the tuber and cut off any new growth.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just out looking at the damage in detail for the first time and I will be able to stake some up again but at least a dozen broke that stem. Thanks Poochella for the response. I will leave them be and remove them when the ones which did not break are ready.

• Poochella
    13 years ago

Good. Glad you can save some! One other thing I forgot: if you have any open/hollow stalks on the broken off ones, cover them somehow to prevent rain from getting in and ruining the tubers. Foil caps, perhaps, or some kind of covering. Mine broke below ground so it was safe enough to mulch well and dig later.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thank-you again for the hollow advice! I noticed some of them had hollows and was wondering if that wold cause problems.