Software
Houzz Logo Print
nadia1978

Drowning in dark and dull colours in Living Room

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
Help. I am newly married and need suggestions as to what colours I can use to add some colour to and brighten up my husband's drab bachelor styled living room. I need colour suggestions - for the throw cushions, curtains, walls and other accent pieced. HELP! I really am drowning in drab.

Comments (28)

  • 14 years ago
    You can brighten up the rich leather couch with blue pillows, and window treatments with some blue in a pattern would be nice too. The couches look crowded in the one shot you attached, so is it possible to lose one couch and replace it with big comfy chairs? If yes, you could get upholstered chairs which would bring more color into the room. If no, then maybe you could replace the rug with one that has more color/pattern.
  • 14 years ago
    Find an accent color you can agree on -- bright blue or turquoise or coral or lime. Maybe find a bold strip or white and ____(color) large scale print and either go with simple grommet top draperies or classy roman shades. Pack away that faux bearskin rug for something more interesting and maybe find a cool mosiac topped cocktail table. Do those sofa's even match? Pick the most comfortable one and sell the other on Craigs' List, along with that rug :-)
  • 14 years ago
    Agree with everything previously said. Most definitely those draperies have to go! Is this a rental? How much can you change? Clear out everything you don't like (intertube, rug -- is that a bicycle tire?) Start from there. If you can paint, pick a soft warm color -- warm gray, tan, "deep" cream. Avoid "shock" colors even though they're tempting.
  • 14 years ago
    Down with the granny's formal living room curtains. Young marrieds need something fun. Keep the best sofa, sell the rest of it and start over. Hope he's a shopper who likes to get involved with your projects!
  • 14 years ago
    How about "Pumpkin Spice" color for the walls? I agree to lose one of the sofas (keep the leather?) and opt for a couple of upholstered chairs instead. Is that colorful pillow orange with accent colors? Maybe you could use that pillow for your color inspiration for wall color and accessories. Maybe it's just me..but I kinda like that rug! But, I'd go for a funky, inexpensive Craigslist coffee table and paint it an accent color. (inexpensive so you can repaint if you tire of the table color).
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- Sounds like your too young for what I see in the picture . Keep the rug and get rid of everything else . I don't think the leather sofa is good looking enough to use , too big and puffy and shiny. Look through the ideas on Houzz and design mags etc.,and find a livingroom or two that has what you would like to have , and use that as a guide .
  • 14 years ago
    Being a guy I loves me a brown leather sofa. But I think that one does need to be retired somewhere. It looks lumpy and will only get worse with time. I think picking out a new one together would be great.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Both of those sofas are space grabbers, with unnecessarily wide arms. Fortunately styles have changed in the last few years and narrower arms on chairs and sofas are now available. Be aware of that when you shop for furniture.

    Another hitch in furniture buying is the depth in which some sofas are made these days. Twenty years ago a standard sofa size might have been 84 x 36". Then, like many of us Americans, that size grew to 90" or 96" or more long. But even worse was the depth increase, so often 42" deep! Now, because of the increase in small urban condos, we can again find smaller sofas, of 78x36". But do take a tape measure with you when you go furniture shopping. It's so easy to spend $2000 or more on the wrong size sofa!

    Better even than taking a tape measure with you is taking an interior designer with you! We really know how to keep you from making expensive mistakes.
  • 14 years ago
    I love yellow right now.....that rich and creamy yellow. New pillows on the couch for sure. Loose the rug and put down a nice large area rug in bold colors. Those window coverings look very formal for that room, you need to lighten it up. Keep one sofa and exchange a nice chair and a half sized chair - that will not make that room appear so cramped. You can always find an old coffee table and refinish it. Keep looking for ideas here.
  • 14 years ago
    Lol...well, your husband has your back...I see an inter tube in the corner!
    You are right this room is toooo heavy!
    In this case, I would empty the room...you know, like they do on tv. Then I would paint! I would use a clean pure dark beige , no pink in it please. Then I would look for some drapes, panels will work and hang them on each side of the windows and go as high to the ceiling as you can with a decorative rod. Then only bring the leather couch back into the room and put the rug in front of the couch . Add some kind of coffee tabl, ie.two wooden cubes, an old chest, a glass table. Since you have an animal rug on the floor, I would try to find two side chairs in a brown/black zebra. Then pick an accent color, say, yellow, lime, red, orange or any color that is in a picture that I'm sure you have on a wall you're not showing us:) and get some great pillows for the sofa...I would only use two or three and only on one end and I would put them on top of a throw that I draped from the back down to the seat of the couch. this will help keep the pillows off the floor:). Add some mismatched side table and lamps. Hope this gets your wheels turning.
    Good Luck!
    Post after pics!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Draperies should hang where they are not covered by furniture, if you use them at all. I'd settle for shades.
  • 14 years ago
    I like leather because it is easy to clean and if you happen to have a pet the hair does not cling. You can amp it up with color throws or an animal print even if you like that. I would, of course, get rid of the drapes. If you are on a small budget or renting, you may want to go to the JC Penney website and look at what they have. Also Pottery Barn has a nice website. Roman shades can have a modern effect on windows in a room and both those sites have roman shades and other window treatments. They come in many different colors or you can go with a neutral shade and add color if you want to put drapes to the side. But, the nice thing about roman shades is they can stand alone. Sometimes it is difficult to find window treatments that you like, so I would find them before I decided on a wall color.

    I am sure you will want art for your walls. So will it be a painting or photographyI? I really like high definition photography because it is almost as good as being there if you choose an on location piece and the colors are vibrant and more modern looking. You can do a collection of pictures with a like theme such as Paris, France, Venice, coastal areas or lighthouses or one large photograph perhaps on canvas. Check out my etsy shop, nancyhehmann. Etsy.com has all sorts of home decor items created by artisans across the United States, Canada and even far away places. Each shop has a profile. You can get unique and interesting items including plaques, pillows, coasters and more. Being newlyweds you might want a sign with your name on it. If you choose art before you choose your draperies, you can take a dominant color theme from the picture and match it to a roman shade or drapery and you could select other decorator items that way. In other words, if the art or photography you like has a lot of blue, green or orange, then you can select draperies, vases and other items in that color.

    Again, it really depends on the amount you have to spend; but I think you can make your room look nice with good accessories. Have fun shopping with your new husband.
  • 14 years ago
    What is it with men and leather couches. Every couch my husband has ever allowed us to buy has been leather. I guess it goes with his idea that everything should last forever and only spoiled rich people change the look of things. If this gal is younger than her hubby like me and mine. 14 years is a great deal once a few years go buy. Good luck. :)
  • 14 years ago
    Ditto with Carolyn voting for shades instead of curtains.
  • 14 years ago
    Definitely go for a large area rug. The one you have is making the room look smaller. Keep it cheap by purchasing jute and if you feel so inclined later on you could paint a favorite pattern (like chevron) it. Also, keeping the walls a cool neutral, like gray, will update the space and keep you both happy!!
  • 14 years ago
    Wow, this was my first time posting anything and I am amazed at the useful suggestions that were provided. You definitely gave me ideas to work on. I HATE the current curtains - style and color, but wasn't sure what to change them to. The rug is actually real :( (certified angus beef cow) because that's what he sells. It was his attempt to surprise me with a rug when I first started browsing for some. He is attached to his furniture so I don't think I can completely get rid of all of them - so I think the leather couch seems to be the more tolerable piece. The weird greenish/beigish couch actually has a two seated that goes with it so I think I'll start to arrange a garage sale for those. He also has four antique wooden single sweaters that I took out of the room until I could wrap my head around all the heavy furniture.

    I will start my search this weekend for wall colors and artwork/photos.

    Thanks so much guys... Keep any other useful comments coming and other useful sources.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Would your husband be offended if you asked him to trade the cowhide for a brown and white one? That would be more lively looking. I can't wait to see the wooden single seaters!
  • 14 years ago
    Here is what I would. Send to be cleaned. I mean for real have it cleaned. Then have it mounted somehow or have hardware added that you can hang somewhere. Then surprise him. and it wont be like you are getting rid of the rug. And since it represents him it would be suitable art somewhere.
  • 14 years ago
    Your thoughts were exactly what went through my head when I first saw it. The 'cow' will not be staying in there. I haven't figured out where it's going as yet (maybe in the dining room when I eventually find a table and chairs that I like) but that's an entire post on its own with its own challenges :(

    As for the single chairs they won't be seeing the light of day until I get them recovered.

    I definitely have my work cut out for me.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi Nadia1978 , welcome to the married Brigade ,Whatever you do try doing it Jointly now with each others choices in mind , and with time see what your need are and eventually buy it step by step ,
    (Is that a cycle in the L.R ?)
    1.To start with firstly get rid of the Cowhide since its too dark with two dark sofas already in there ,
    2 Get rid of those curtains , they belong in a Palace , Lol
    3 Get a Chaise for the L.R and Get drapes in your L.Room ,
    Have a Happy Married Life
    God Bless you
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
  • 14 years ago
    The sofas are very masculine & dominant, they create this "dark feel" to it and the rug is also black. If you can, change the sofas but if you can't - new curtains, new rug, some accesories here & there will transform the look of your living room. Pillows and throws are a must! There was this article on Houzz how to add color in your living room, will have a look if I can find it.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    A cowhide on the floor can look fabulous as evidenced by the photo below. Even your black one, with contemporary tables and accessories would look great since it shows off to advantage against your light tile floor. Try for a glass top coffee table with it and some splashy contemporary art.
    T Eatons Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Ok here's some decorating tips I found, it's from UK but still might be useful. I remember when I read some articles one year ago they said sth about choosing the 3 colors and 4 colors is to much. I can't find it so quickly but you can start from those links and find some inpiration throughout all the websites:

    http://www.channel4.com/4homes/design-decorate/decorating-ideas/how-to-make-a-dark-room-lighter-09-07-06

    http://www.channel4.com/4homes/rooms/living-room/design-planning-ideas/living-room-planning/plan-design-your-living-room-09-03-26

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/rulesofdesign_livingroom.shtml

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/colour_planningscheme.shtml
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Wow, those are sure some formal curtains! Try out some honeycomb cellular shades. You can get free samples at our website. http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html I like the idea of the rug as a wall hanging, if you have the space. Pattern in the pillows, maybe layer some curtains or a valance over cell shades. I agree that it shoud be fun. Maybe a picture or wall hanging here and there will cozy it up, or even a big plant (if you have the floor space). Check out a Home Goods or TJ Maxx for less expensive wall hangings. I have a hard time decorating a room all in one shot.
  • 14 years ago
    When Carolyn got on board with the curent hide and suggested glass, I immediately thought of adding chrome for a brighter, more contemporary look. It's savvy to use what you already have where possible, especially starting out together.
  • 14 years ago
    What's really dragging the place down are the greenish granny-style curtains.

    You have a start with the coral (red?) items. Unless that's a pool float :)

    I'd go for a black, white and coral or Chinese red room: paint walls and woodwork crisp white, use a coral, black and white (mostly white) floral for the drapes (simple ceiling to floor panels), and get an upholstered something (ottoman, simple chair) in a coral and white stripe or plaid to go with the drapes.
  • 14 years ago
    First replace the rug with something more traditional and not lodge style. A nice oriental style rug would do well here. Choose your colors in the rug and use them in the sofa pillows and in window coverings. Bamboo blinds with some colorful valances over top. I would add some color to the walls at least on a few walls. Good luck.
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations