Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pac4man

Need help with built ins/fireplace wall

pac4man
11 years ago
I'd like to bring this fireplace/bookshelf wall into this century and rescue it from the 80's. At this point I'm only interested in cosmetic options (paint,ect). Was considering painting bookshelves, columns and above fireplace white and incorporate gray and back part of shelves to match the couch , ect. We have brazillion walnut floors and an open/cat walk ceiling. I hate the brick but my husband isn't crazy about painting it. I like the look here at below link, but not sure it goes w/the brick. Would also consider painting bookshelves dark gray to match couch and columns flanking fireplace white. However, I have never been know for my interior design skills. Help! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fireplace-wall-is-just-not-right-dsvw-vd~185741

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    michigammemom is right ,I'd suggest cleaning the bricks and removing the plants from there it makes the fireplace area look more darker , its a beautiful F.place, especially the pattern of bricks above the mantle , haven't seen this beautiful setting of bricks lately in a fireplace .
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That is one beautiful fireplace! In the link that you like, only the back wall of the built-ins is painted, it looks like a dark grey, maybe charcoal. I think that would be too dark, but have you considered picking up the reddish color in your throw pillow on the sofa? That would coordinate well with your brick.
  • Pam
    11 years ago
    I don’t think it’s the brick that is dating the fireplace but the brick arch over the mantle that dates it. I would tear that out, paint that area the same grey as the bookcases and maybe if funds allow, a new mantle. A nice painting or huge clock over the mantle, rearrange the bookcases with some great accessories and it would all look fabulous.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    justone - we're all so different, aren't we? The brick arch is what I like the best!!!
  • pac4man
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You guys are the BEST! this is the first time I've posted here (I've been a closet lurker). I really appreciate the advise. Hadn't thought painting the walls, pillars and arch a darker tone. It was my bright idea to stucco over the columns and above the arch as all the brick was just way too much..we did that about a year ago and it's been sitting there taunting me every since. Hate to say my husband was right! So now I need to fix my stucco mess with paint in the short term. Any suggestions on a nice greige? I'm testing a charcoal color now..similar to the one in my sample link and very similar to my couch..but not sure it goes w/the brown tones of the fireplace..
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I agree to paint the walls, pillars and space above the fireplace a darker color. Do not go too gray. Get a bunch of paint chips and see which ones "disappear" when you tape them flat to the back of the arch and stand across the room. Look at them in daylight morning, daylight afternoon, dusk, and at night. Then, buy sample size(s) of the colors that disappear. Paint large flat pieces of cardboard (boxes from home improvement centers are big), and put them in the arched area one at a time, and then maybe overlapped. Tweak the color until you get one that blends with the brick. Then see if that color is complimentary to the floor color.

Do not worry about the couch color until you have a brick color to work from. The brick and flooring are more permanent, and couches can be slipcovered. If the couch distracts you during the paint choice decision, move it out of sight while you choose paint. After you have a paint choice, see if it is a companion to your couch, or if the charcoal color of the couch is too "blue." If so, come on back here and get some more advice.

The arch of the fireplace has a beautiful brickwork pattern. Please, please, keep that intact! Remove all decor from the fireplace area.

As previously suggested, focus decor in the bookcases and couch cushions instead. I see a red cushion on the couch, and a red base for a small statue in the bookcases. Also a few red book spines, but only two orange ones. As suggested earlier, place a few red items (even cereal boxes for now to gauge color) in the bookcase area to draw the eye to either side of the fireplace and around the room in cushions and accessories -like a ribbon of red around the room.

The orange chair seems 1980s to me. Our office building had chairs that color in the 80s.

Will you post your progress ideas and progress photos as you go along? I would very much like to see this space evolve.

Best wishes.
  • pac4man
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You guys are the best. I really appreciate all the help. I am helpless in this department. I've attached a powerpoint mock up I did tonight with my 11 year old (who hates it by the way). I tried to drop in the gray concept across the wall, pillar, ect. I had limited options on colors, but this gives me an idea of what a gray wall, fireplace surround, ect look like. I'll spare everyone the red wall I did at the request of my son ; ) Hopefully you can open the file. This tells me I need to move in the direction of a gray that disappears, great idea Tipi!