hoeandshovel

How Well Does Eastern Redbud Grow/Bloom in Tampa?

hoeandshovel

I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I've recently dug out another large section of my lawn to replace sod with plants. Some of the plants will be divisions from other places in my yard -- some I'll purchase. I've decided to use all Florida Friendly and/or natives in this area. It gets afternoon sun for about 5 hours with some dappled shade in the a.m. and as the sun sets.

I'd like to plant a flowering tree that does well in the Tampa Bay Area.

My first choice is a Redbud. The height, the color, the attributes of the tree fit for this area. It's interesting to note ,however, I don't recall seeing Redbud trees growing in this area. I have found them for sale here but wonder why I don't see them used? Are they like dogwood trees that will grow but never really flower well? Because I REALLY want it to flower if I purchase one.

Does anyone here grow them in Hillsborough County? Or does anyone know of their success or failure in this area? Anyone have any comments, ideas, suggestions or other thoughts on the Redbud or perhaps an idea of another tree for this space?

My second choice would be a Fringetree... but I don't recall seeing them used in this area either.

Thanks so much,

Meems

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to get a photo uploaded or I would have inserted a photo of the newly dug area.