0

Would love help w/ Hosta IDs please

ademink

Received 3 "freebies" yesterday. I would love assistance in IDing, if possible.

First one is medium height but planted under a maple tree so it could be a false size indicator. The leaves are good sized, not thick or corrugated - about the "consistency" of 'Guacamole'. A lovely green on green variegation:

Â

Â

This one is very good sized. Perhaps 'Night Before Christmas'?

Â

Â

Â

Last one is probably impossible to ID but let's try anyway. :) Also under the maple, thicker, slightly corrugated leaf. Smaller than FW and definitely *not* FW.

Â

Â

• caliloo

The first one looks like Guacamole to me. I was at a nursery last week and they had a few Guacs that were sort of streaky like the one you pictured.

The second does remind me of NBC.

No guess on the third.

Alexa

• Lee

Third one looks like Wide Brim to me.

• ademink

Thanks for your thoughts, Alexa! I don't think the 1st one is Guac b/c I have 3 of them and they don't look like this one. My Guac leaves are a bit rounder and this one has more olive color to the leaves.

I have a NBC but it's not nearly as large as this one I got the division of - WOW! You should have seen the "mother" plant!

• hostared

Always nice to get freebies.
    The first I don't think it's Guac either because the dark green markings would be on the outside edge.
    The second does remind me strongly of NBV.
    Sorry about the last one....no clue!
    Nice plants.

• dbowemd

The first has the light edge, can't be Guacamole; I don't recognize it at all, but it looks like you chose the weird leaf to show which has a really wide margin, the other leaves look like a narrow margin. Stumping me for now. Maybe another pic with the whole mound? Or next year.

Second looks like Night Before Christmas.

Third makes me think of Northern Exposure or American Halo with the edge starting creamy white then getting some green tinge to it.

Dave

• ademink

More pics of #1

Â Â
    Â Â
    Â Â
    Â Â

Â Â

The one that I think is NBC has leaves like 'Revolution' when they first come out - speckled centers.

Â Â

• ademink

Hmmmm...been looking at the hosta library and still can't figure out the green on green one. Anyone know also if it's normal for NBC to have speckled centers on new leaves?

• digs57

Hmmm. Could that speckly one be Alleghan Fog, by any chance? I don't have it - but my NBC comes up with pure white centres, no speckles. Still, those pale flower scapes DO look like NBC's, though I've no idea if Alleghan Fog has pale scapes. And some say that the summer flush of leaves is greener than the spring's.

Could your "smaller than FW" be Tokudama Flavocircinalis? Is it rather low to the ground?

Your green with light green edge floppy one looks sort of Montana'ish - maybe someone more in the know can take it further than that?

• hostarox

#3 Looks like 'Formal Attire' to me. I have it, and it's a dead ringer

• skiwi

I have a hosta which needs identifying and which has stumped my local hosta supplier. No idea how to put a picture with a posting. Any help there first please?

• ademink

Digs, the speckled on is a really big hosta and goes totally white centers when bigger - I think AF stays streaky/speckled, right? I also thought it was smaller. This one looks like 2 hostas in one or something (but it's not). I'm befuddled on the new growth! It's blooming now, is this the time for NBC to bloom? Does anyone know the definitive answer on new growth on NBC?

I don't know about the green on green one. Maybe a Montana variety but....?????

I think you're right on #3, hostarox - it looks a LOT like it, eh? It has already

• ademink

LOL...trigger finger...

I was going to say that the green on green one has already bloomed and has pods (is that what they are?) so I don't know if that helps w/ IDing or not.

• maryann_____chgo

Both of my NBC are blooming now and there are a few tiny speckles in some of the mature leaves. Several of the new leaves have a slight misting but not as much as yours. Nice plant.

I love that green on green one. They will all be beautiful next season under your care.

• toymr2mk2

How about Fool's Gold or Heliarc for the green on green one? Both are sports of Fortunei Hyacinthina. Is the lighter edge actually green as it appears in the pic? Fool's Gold has a nice yellowish margin in the spring that tends to darken with the heat of summer to almost a khaki or butterscotch (similar to the color of Olive Branch). According to the HL Heliarc's margin begins khaki and remains that way all season. Both look similar to your plant.
    Art

• ademink

I was at Dogwood Nursery and walked up to a mature hosta they have (12 years) and it was a dead ringer for Mystery #1. It was Montana Aureomarginata! It was being grown in a lot of shade and this one that I acquired was also in deep shade. I couldn't believe it is the same hosta as my bright gold edge specimen that gets more sun but it surely was.

Seem odd or sound like it could be accurate?

• karinl

Skiwi, it is always better to start your own thread if you have a new question, even if you start with a question. However, your question is addressed in the FAQs on this forum (although I have to say most of this info isn't the best explanation I've ever seen), and this summary from Caliloo pretty much captures it:
    "1. open free photobucket account
    2. download picture and copy TAG line
    3. paste the TAG line into the message you want on the forums - and it's easier to do this if you have two browsers open so that you don't have to keep going back and forth from GW to PB, especially if youÂre putting in more than one picture."

Also, if you search this forum with the term "post photos" you will find some other instructions.

Ademink, regarding your mystery hostas, your conclusion about hosta #1 is precisely what I was going to suggest; that the light green margin looks like a gold or white margin getting too little sun. For the others, it would help to have photos of the whole plant, not just a single leaf.

• ademink

Looks like I have 1 & 3 ID'd but #2 - the "faux" NBC, is still a mystery. The leaves are actually speckled...period. Highly speckled when they come out and stay lighter speckled when mature. Perhaps it's just an interesting NBC...?

I didn't really have "whole plants" to take photos of since they were just divisions. They are in the ground now but after being initially divided, transplanted and then landed on when the cat jumped over the fence..LOL...they just look like half brown, mangled hostas!

I actually could probably get a pic of the mystery one, it's in the best shape. I'll get on it today! :)

• karinl

Is there a possibility that the faux NBC is Revolution? It's not a hosta I'm that familiar with, but I know it is speckled.

• ademink

I actually have Revolution and I don't think they're the same hosta. The faux NBC has more of a cascading, "soft" habit. I need to get pics.

• thehostage

How about Alvantine Taylor on the first one. An oldie but goodie and mine likes to streak like that. Nancy alurker

• ademink

Ok, way, way, WAY ratty pics b/c this thing has been split, abused and replanted when it was 100 degrees outside. LOL Then I left all petioles and leaves on there to help it to get established. Anyhoo, hope this helps:

Â Â
    Â Â

Â Â
    Â Â
    Â Â

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its not allegan fog.... but allegan fog is a SELECTION from one of the undulatas ....

could the first one just be a hyper-fertilized undulata.. and i cant remember which ...

when you get/move tall hosta.. try the taping method ... the tape will hold up the leaves until the roots start pumping water.. in a week or 2 the tape will fall off or can be removed ... here's a picture:
    {{gwi:1054832}}

i don't know what the other one is.. ken

• ademink

Yeah, I know the taping drill but I wasn't the one who did the deed. LOL I'm doubting that this was an undulata b/c the main plant was about 3' tall, 4'ish diameter and had a full, gorgeous, cascading habit. Not crazy undulata-ish even though it looks like it now. And the mystery goes on....

• ademink

Nancy, I'm going to settle on Montana Aureomarginata for the first one. I'm pretty positive that's a match. Thanks for your suggestion though!

• ademink

Well, my mystery plant that I deemed 'Montana Aureomarginata' definitely is NOT. Came out this year looking the same darker butterscotch and green. I'll get some new pics. Very puzzling!!!!

• ademink

Royal Flush. Just wanted everyone to know I figured out what this was. LOL

• ademink

oops..and the one w/ the white center is Night Before Cmas

• ademink

12 years later...lol toymr2mk2, you were correct. Hostsa #1 is Fool's Gold! :D