Software
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

shrub for shade

18 years ago

What would be good for a very shady area, that gets sun in afternoon in summer, to some extent, with poor sandy soil. I would like a flowering evergreen that does not get more than about 4 - 5 ft tall at maturity. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

  • 18 years ago

    Evergreen huckleberry.

  • 18 years ago

    Sarcococca, although the flowers are tiny and not showy at all, they are extremely fragrant, and bloom in the dead of winter.

    Salal, evergren huckleberry, creeping or tall mahonias, sword ferns - all native shrubs that grow in the shade and are accustomed to our poor sandy soils.

    Dwarf hollies, again not showy flowers, but something, and the female bushes will have berries, and there are variegated forms. Take a lot of shade but need some water in sandy soil.

    Hellebores, not shrubs, but evergreen, and very showy flowers in winter, and take part shade and lean soils.

  • 18 years ago

    I was out for a walk today in the dull grey weather we are having. I saw a grouping of the new mahonias with very vivid yellow tops. Incredible!!!!!!! Perfect for shady, poor soil.

  • 18 years ago

    If this is going to be an entryway specimen it really needs to be something of specimen quality, like a rhododendron or other fairly dramatic shrub. Evergreen huckleberry, Oregon grape etc. are good supporting characters but don't really have what it takes to command the stage.

  • 18 years ago

    Pieris 'Flaming Silver'. The right size, tolerates shady conditions, has variegated foliage with bright, salmony colored new growth and white flowers in spring.

    Here is a link that might be useful:

  • 18 years ago

    What a lot of great ideas! Many thanks. But I still need some info on skimmia, if anyone has any thoughts. Otherwise, I think I'll go for the Pieris, if I can locate one.

  • 18 years ago

    Skimmia wants full shade, otherwise it bleaches - many specimens also pick up mites here and are chronically discolored (stippled) by those. Like others suggested this and the pieris may not have large enough flowers or other sufficiently commanding features (even with variegated leaves) to quite pull it off as solo artists. But, you may also have something bolder planted next to this spot already and may really be just finishing (ending) a plant grouping with this latest addition(s).

    The fragrance of a male skimmia would be nice near an entry. I'd plant a drift, rather than relying on one, and have something else as the specimen plant.

    Female skimmia produce poisonous fruits.

  • 18 years ago

    Still seem a bit confused... the area is a very small bed by the front door, so I wanted a showy specimen, (really, the only large plant in the space) which I would surround with lower plants for extra colour. What about Fatsia? The space is triangular, about 6ft x 6ft x 4 ft.

  • 18 years ago

    What about a Japanese Maple? It isn't evergreen but the form and shape of the trunk and branches is lovely. One of the prettiest that grows slowly, is "Full Moon" My daughter has one and it always looks like it has a ray of sunshine on it. It is her favorite plant and loves shade.

  • 18 years ago

    If I was going to plant something with overall habit and size potential of a fatsia I'd probably use Mahonia x media instead. Unlike the PNW native species this is quite bold and flowers during fall/winter. Eventually bony (like a fatsia) 'Charity' is dominant offering but more compact forms like 'Lionel Fortescue' and 'Winter Sun' have been available at some local outlets also.