Software
Houzz Logo Print
greenelephant_gw

Snoqualmie Valley Flower Farmers

19 years ago

Please, do not get me kicked off the GW for this inquiry. Deal with me directly if you are peeved.

Ok, so I feel like doing something for these families. Read about the Sno Valley flower farmers

I realize that the GW is not a forum for soliciting donations. That is not my intent.

It came to mind that the Green Elephant could be a regional collection/drop off site for dontated plant material.

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Eichner

425-223-7249

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap Mar 3

Comments (4)

  • 19 years ago

    Jim, how wonderful of you to post this. If you hadn't, I would have. I've been solidly behind this story and efforts to gather donated dahlia tubers or $ for these devastated folks since the flooding news hit in November.

    There have been such blatant violations on GW recently by entrepeneurs who stand to benefit financially from their posts that I don't think anyone even monitors such things anymore. I see this as different.

    I've been working with Bee Cha, (WSU Extension contact info cited in the linked article,) and one other farming support organization and these folks are desperate. Not only are their meager livelihoods at high risk, but the quality and quantity of goods at Pike Place and other public markets is going to suffer radically this summer if big strides aren't made to help them.

    So, Jim, I know I promised you various waterlily type dahlias before but you're just going to have to wait til 2008, because every spare dahlia I have is going for this cause, this year. Sorry! I would hope others who have benefitted from my trades or outright donations in the past would be willing to step up and contribute to this worthwhile effort.

    The Green Elephant idea is good. My feeling is that they want mostly dahlias for cutflowers, and they want them sooner rather than later- perhaps to propagate? Not sure when the Green Elephant is, but I have requests weekly asking "when, when, when, can we get tubers?"

    So, thanks again for bringing this to light. There are already several other generous Northwesterners committed to this effort, and I'm covering the rest of the continental US as well LOL.

    If I get booted for posting this, I'm taking other more egregious offenders with me.... If not, then thanks for reading.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Another link, same sad story.

  • 19 years ago

    The problem goes beyond the Snoqualmie Valley. Grays Harbor County dahlia growers were hard hit too.

  • 19 years ago

    The Dahlia Drop Box in Redmond
    Church of the Holy Cross
    11526 162nd Ave NE
    Redmond WA 98052

    Directions

    The Dahlia Drop Box will be available in Redmond through Saturday March 3. On the day of the Green Elephant Plant Swap we will deliver all of the dahlias to Bee Cha, of the King County Cooperative Extension Service. Bee will distribute the dahlias equitably among the farmers.

    Contact Jim Eichner
    425-224-7249 cell

    Here is a link that might be useful: You are invited to the Green Elephant Plant Swap

  • 19 years ago

    Devorah, here are two places to start making inquiries to see what the Grays Harbor growers might need to aid them, and what efforts these two groups are making to provide aid, if any. Perhaps relief is underway? I know our local PSDA is contemplating how they can help the local farmers, but they have their own fundraising/sales taking a priority role. Still, they are going to offer something.

    Washington
    Evergreen State Dahlia Association

    Dan Pearson
    994 South Bank Road
    Oakville, WA 98568
    (360) 482-2607
    ~ gardenerpete@hotmail.com
    Washington
    Grays Harbor Dahlia Society

    Clarence Pearson
    994 South Bank Rd.
    Oakville, WA 98568
    (360) 482-2607
    ~ gardenerpete@hotmail.com
    (copied directly from North American Dahlias Associations online, but it's odd that the same email appears for both groups)

    Jim,
    It's great that you are jumping in with both feet. Two concerns about the drop box: Pilfering and theft protection; and protection of the donated materials from frost or dehydration.

    I am taking mine directly to the Renton WSU office, along with anything I buy or collect from others for the cause. Others are mailing directly there, and from there they will go on to appropriate storage areas.
    Good on you for being such a doer!

    Pooch

    Here is a link that might be useful: List of Dahlia Societies

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting