Software
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Show and Tell...

I grew Clivia Miniata Citrina from seed eight years ago. Almost five years to the day it bloomed for the first time. I self pollinated it, got three seeds but couldnt get them to germinate. I also crossed it with my orange Clivia, got four seeds that did germinate, the seedlings are now two years old. My yellow Clivia is doing well, just about to bloom again but it hasn't sent out any pups yet. Most annoying. O.K. Grant and others I've shown you mine, now you show me yours.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1068823}}

Comments (8)

  • 19 years ago

    Ooooops forgot my :-).

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Hey, it looks GREAT. Congratulations again. It's really, really pretty! Nice clean foliage too. You should be proud! Keep us posted on the seeds too.

    I see a lot of the "paddle leaf" types for sale in catalogs on online (check out ebay some time for clivias if you haven't already), but I still like the ones with the nice long, elegant foliage liks yours, and the yellow blooms are especially pretty. It's really rewarding to grow something so pretty from seed.

    Thanks for sharing the eye candy!
    Take care,
    Grant

  • 19 years ago

    Beautiful! I remember lusting after a yellow clivia 25 years ago, but couldn't justify the cost. To have grown one from seed- great job!

  • 19 years ago

    To be honest now, my growing it from seed was really a stroke of luck. The directions that came with it were totally wrong. I bought a book on Clivias after the fact, and everything I did when I planted it was a no no. That little ole seed had a lot of determination. I understand the hybridizers are working on white now. O.K. guys let's see some pics of plants you think are great, and if there is a story to go with it all the better. Indoor, outdoors, some thing you've seen in your travels. 'The Show', never been to it, very envious!

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Very nice! I can't show you mine because, I don't have one.

  • 19 years ago

    buyorsell888, maybe not a yellow Clivia, but I bet you have something much nicer, I guess I didn't word my post right. Not only do I hit the wrong keys, I also delete complete sentences at times. I'll get the hang of this yet.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I'd love to do a "show and tell" and bet I could have given you a run for your money on your clivia, aftermidnight :-) I had a young yellow (not seed grown, however) that bloomed beautifully for me but my pride and joy was a 30 y.o. orange that was the mother of all clivias!! A huge, robustly healthy plant that regularly produced multiple flower stalks. Alas, through a supreme measure of carelessness, it and all my other houseplants were left out on my back porch too long last season and the poor things all froze to death and turned to mush :-(

    I know, how stupid can you be, but my fall was a bit hectic and over-scheduled and I just forgot about them. Also biting the dust was a huge zygocatus that I inherited from my mom but I feel worse about losing the clivia. My ex has a couple of the offsprings of the mother plant so I might have to ask nice for a replacement.

    As for the 'show' part of anything else, gotta get my hands on a digital camera one of these days......once again, I'll be one of the last in the country to keep up with technology.

  • 19 years ago

    I know exactly how you feel about your Clivia, I almost lost my yellow the year before last, I keep it in the greenhouse for the winter, electric heat. We lost power in the middle of the night for a few hours during a cold spell, some of the leaves turned to mush. It's O.K. now, lesson learned, when it's really cold we use a kerosine heater. I bet your Clivia was breathtaking, what a shame.
    We've just bought a new digital camera, I want to take closeups of fuchsias
    for identification purposes. So many of them are misnamed.
    Come on guys, 'Show and/or Tell", we all appreciate photo's and experiences we have with our plants.

    A......